Lens got dust inside,how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, NSC quotes me different prices for cleaning of different lenses. It's never a single "standard" price.

I called NSC they said

Sensor cleaning about $26 30mins
Eye viewfinder cleaning about $120 2-3weeks
and Lens cleaning is $100. 2-3weeks

Wah lau, if you are using a 50mm f1.8 that cost $185, will you let them clean your lens for that price?

I ended up cleaning my sensor myself. It's actually quite easy with the cleaning kit.
As for dust in lens, there is a post on photo.net where someone used a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.

But have to be careful not to scratch the rear element and other parts.

Prices are different for L and non L lens. Anyway, if your lens has dust you have to make sure you use it often. Some of these dust particles might turn out to be fungus!

105268561.jpg

105268571.jpg

And the lens that took the images above:

105268537.jpg

As you can see, scratches and lots of dust in a lens may cause loss of contrast, loss of light gathering, and lens flare, but even so, will not be visible on the image. (In fact, our guess is most of the lost sharpness is because the optical element shifted when it broke, rather than from the cracks themselves.)

Read the full article at Lens Rental.com.

i duno about it. but u can prevent it in future by not zooming in and out on your lens too quickly as the quick action will cause fast air suction into the lens which brings in dust. so slowly turn your zoom in or out. hehehe.;)

i duno about it. but u can prevent it in future by not zooming in and out on your lens too quickly as the quick action will cause fast air suction into the lens which brings in dust. so slowly turn your zoom in or out. hehehe.;)

I don't think that's very practical. Imagine in situations u've to take fast and slowly zooming in and out is not a gd idea.

Strange, NSC quotes me different prices for cleaning of different lenses. It's never a single "standard" price.

Yes it's not a standard price from NSC.
More complicated lens (i.e. high end ones) will be more expensive.
But normal ones are about $100 odd. It doesnt get lower than that.

Reminds me of a buyer I met previously. Somehow he managed to find a strand of hair in the lens with a LED torchlight. It was in the barrel, but not on any lens elements. Kicked up a big fuss saying what if the hair drops onto the lens element, and affect images? All these to get a discount.

Prior to that, he was nickpicking on why the lens was "Made in China" and why there's no filter, even tho' I had stated in my ad, "no filter included". Best of all, he didn't bring any camera body to test the lens. I gave him a discount and he gladly took the lens.

I have a small strand of hair in mine lol...

I called NSC they said

Sensor cleaning about $26 30mins
Eye viewfinder cleaning about $120 2-3weeks
and Lens cleaning is $100. 2-3weeks

Wah lau, if you are using a 50mm f1.8 that cost $185, will you let them clean your lens for that price?

I ended up cleaning my sensor myself. It's actually quite easy with the cleaning kit.
As for dust in lens, there is a post on photo.net where someone used a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.

But have to be careful not to scratch the rear element and other parts.

standard price dude...

lens cleaning price also fluctuates depending on model..

Reminds me of a buyer I met previously. Somehow he managed to find a strand of hair in the lens with a LED torchlight. It was in the barrel, but not on any lens elements. Kicked up a big fuss saying what if the hair drops onto the lens element, and affect images? All these to get a discount.

Prior to that, he was nickpicking on why the lens was "Made in China" and why there's no filter, even tho' I had stated in my ad, "no filter included". Best of all, he didn't bring any camera body to test the lens. I gave him a discount and he gladly took the lens.

Should have said, "fine look for another then..."

I did not drive all the way from NUS to Sim Lim Square, paid for ERP and parking, just to witness him fault-find the lens I was trying to sell. :nono:

Strange thing was, he took the lens, despite me repeatedly telling him "no obligations". And yes, I was about to call off the deal. He was the big reason why I'd state to meet potential buyers at my convenient these days.

So far i never had any problems with buying or selling lens. Like recently, i bought a tamron 70 - 200. The owner was honest enough to even showed me where the dust were inside. But lets be practical, for the price we pay, we can't expect a brand new lens right. And if anyone were to go for a 2nd hand product, he or she should accept these flaws before even considering one.

Talk about dust in the lens. What about mould?

Allow me to tell you my experience.

Today i just went to a CS recommended Lucky Plaza shop to get my lens. (Nikon 24-70 which is $2.7k so of course i am detailed on checking it)

That guy was friendly on the phone and also when we met.
Then he showed me the first set.
Opened the aperture under flourescent tube there were so many spots of fungus/mould

then he said nevermind, he will send back to Nikon and showed me second set.
Fungus/mould again. This time that fellow patience ran thin and said he only has one last set. Fungus/mould again! And he said, "the way you check lens i dont think any lens can satisfy you"

And I said, so are bringing these lens back to change. I can come back to you next week.
He said "No, I am going to sell it"
Damn isn't he contradicting himself when he said he will send the first set back to Nikon?

End up i bought from MS colour. Yes there was a small speck of dust but come on, it ain't a big deal and it doesnt show even at small aperture. So a little bit of dust is ok really, as long as that is not MOULD.

I did bring this up in one of the posts previously, that since the camera shop doesn't keep their lenses in a drybox, wouldn't the lenses get fungus if left on the shelf/showcase for too long?

Looks like it really happens.

I did bring this up in one of the posts previously, that since the camera shop doesn't keep their lenses in a drybox, wouldn't the lenses get fungus if left on the shelf/showcase for too long?

Looks like it really happens.

In the shops, 2 reasons why no fungus
1 Lens are brand new - so hardly any dust got in and so no fungus got in to grow.
2 Shop are mostly air-con, so low humidity.
3 Lenses do not stay long in the shelves.

In the shops, 2 reasons why no fungus
1 Lens are brand new - so hardly any dust got in and so no fungus got in to grow.
2 Shop are mostly air-con, so low humidity.
3 Lenses do not stay long in the shelves.

The facts speak differently

Status
Not open for further replies.