Lens for wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
what lenses do you have or have access to ? maybe easier for you to get comments if you put up a list... because from what ive seen, choice of wedding lenses can be quite varied depending on the photographer and style... some like primes, some telphoto zooms etc etc.

Errz said:
no problem! I think there might be alot more threads on it. Just do a search. I go thru few pages only. Search is ur good friend :D
Wah Errz so helpful... how come never bring me along to shoot weddings? :(

Aphotographer said:
hi I am a newbie... will be doing my 1st photoshoot, alongside the main photographer, for my friend...

What type of lens is recommended for evening outdoor shoot?
What you have is good enough, but the 70~300 you have little change to use it.

catchlights said:
What you have is good enough, but the 70~300 you have little change to use it.

why do you say that? ive seen lots of photographers using 70-200 at weddings...

70-200 can be used, just not that many chances to be used. It's ideal for compression background to create "bokeh" effect with the tele end. So ideally, there must be enough light for fast shutter speed, enough space to use the tele, and enough handholding skills to prevent handshake. So whether or not 70-200 gets "enough" usage depends on the venue. Is it big enough? Bright enough? And are the photogs hand's stable enough? Got IS/VR/AS even better. The other issue is of course space in the bag. Perhaps the lens can snag a few shots. These few shots could well be the best shots of the day. I've seen numerous wedding award winning shots using tele lens. But in terms of "quantity" I tend to agree with catchlights that there are not many chances to use it for the run-of-the-mill weddings here. As compared to a wider lens of course. That's in terms of event coverage.

jdredd said:
why do you say that? ive seen lots of photographers using 70-200 at weddings...

what sort of weddings and are they the main photographers? depending on style, the photographer is usually quite close to the action (either to give directions or so as not to be blocked) and a 70-200 lens would usually be too long (unless for some close-ups).

catchlights said:
Well, I see, seem like you are very experience in shooting weddings.

hehe... the one and only one time i actually took out my ex 80-200 for a church wedding was when i had to shoot the exchanging of rings cos the stage was too small for me, the couple and the pastor. other than dat, i got by with my kit lens range most of the time. ;p

actually, since TS is a back-up/tag-along, more imptly is to select a lens range dat allows him/her to shoot comfortably without getting in the way of the main, IMO. dat said, 70-200 seems a wee bit overkill for most wedding situations, unless you want to achieve certain effects, as mpenza said. :)

mpenza said:
what sort of weddings and are they the main photographers? depending on style, the photographer is usually quite close to the action (either to give directions or so as not to be blocked) and a 70-200 lens would usually be too long (unless for some close-ups).

Probably outdoor pre-wedding portrait shoot .. else I hardly find it useful during AD wedding .. AD I only command 1 lens ... :devil:

Errz said:
can..but dont think i can reach their level. :bsmilie:

No problem .. You takecare of the wedding couple .I takecare of shooting the sisters .. :lovegrin:

mpenza said:
This is what I meant, using a 70~200 to shoot a wedding,

unless this photographer is very experience, can anticipate what will happen next, or
have a secondary photographer shooting together with a wide angle coverage, or
carrying two camera bodies, one with wide angle plus another with tele.

So best is just stick to one lens, sure the TS don't want to have a wrong lens mounted at the wrong moment.

Shinken also pointed out the handling of long tele might be an issue.

If it is just an outdoor portraits, not an event, I would prefer to use a short tele.

Status
Not open for further replies.