Lens for Wedding Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevar

Apr 5, 2006
Hi Olympians,whats the best lens for wedding shots, the wedding place could be well lighted up with videographers spotlights and for dinner a dim banquet hall.
I have a E 300+kit lens and a FL 50,any other lens suggestion are most welcome with supporting photos.Thanks in advance dear olympians.

11-22mm would be for me...

1. F2.0
2. Tables are typically closely spaced

11-22 is f2.8 right?

anyway, 28mm equivalent is generally good enough. there could be some perspective distortion if you shoot too near the subjects with an ultrawide.

tao said:
If you can only have one lens for wedding shoots, the 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 is, without doubt, the lens you are looking for.

I 2nd that, its most used lens when i shoot weddings.

thevar said:
Hi Olympians,whats the best lens for wedding shots, the wedding place could be well lighted up with videographers spotlights and for dinner a dim banquet hall.
I have a E 300+kit lens and a FL 50,any other lens suggestion are most welcome with supporting photos.Thanks in advance dear olympians.

14-54 mm f/2.8-3.5 is a great choice.
It will help you a lot for low light situation which will squezee your kit lens ~!

Dont forget to fix your WB also otherwise the camera can get confuse with other light.

I think is important how to make use of your kit lens. Honestly speaking 14-45 can also be used. When you use with flash make sure you dont exceed f4-4.5 which might be very little zoom for you. Then again you use wide angle most of the time so not a problem.

raycsk said:
11-22mm would be for me...

1. F2.0
2. Tables are typically closely spaced

If my 11-22mm is F2.0, I will cry tears of happiness! :sweatsm:

My mistake... F2.8... keep mixing it up with the 50mm

Hi Olympians,thanks for your inputs, I am still not sure what lens to use,but anyway I will use my 14-45 lens for the time being as per Selamat's advise, I am curious to know what do the professionals use in common!Thanks.

selamatlzh said:
I think is important how to make use of your kit lens. Honestly speaking 14-45 can also be used. When you use with flash make sure you dont exceed f4-4.5 which might be very little zoom for you. Then again you use wide angle most of the time so not a problem.

can i know why the f value cannot exceed 4.5? im new to photography, and currently cant afford for external flash. using E500. and the flash, do you mean the built in flash?

tao said:
If you can only have one lens for wedding shoots, the 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 is, without doubt, the lens you are looking for.

Did some photos for my bro's wedding last weekend in Phuket... the day before the wedding, went out to see Phi Phi Island. Really glad the lens was weatherproof.:D The day of the wedding, flash (FL 50) gave a bit of bother, but worked fine most of the time. Really glad I spent the money to get the 14 - 54mm lens. Next on the shopping list is a step ladder and another CF card

reaper said:
Did some photos for my bro's wedding last weekend in Phuket... the day before the wedding, went out to see Phi Phi Island. Really glad the lens was weatherproof.:D The day of the wedding, flash (FL 50) gave a bit of bother, but worked fine most of the time. Really glad I spent the money to get the 14 - 54mm lens. Next on the shopping list is a step ladder and another CF card

Damien?

ngeowcs said:
can i know why the f value cannot exceed 4.5? im new to photography, and currently cant afford for external flash. using E500. and the flash, do you mean the built in flash?

When you zoom your F value will change.

tao said:
If my 11-22mm is F2.0, I will cry tears of happiness! :sweatsm:

14-35mm f2. You will definitely cry............

.... because of the huge hole you burnt in your pocket and the months of grass you have to eat to pay for this lens ? :(

Can't stand Olympus. Bought the system because of the road map. Now have no lens in that range. Have to wait until 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.