lens for wedding and portiats??

mashdash79

Dec 6, 2009
hougang
hi there,
Newbee to dslr here.i like to ask if the canon Ef-s 17-85mm is suitable for me to
use with my 500d for taking photograph on my friends r.o.m in the hotel ballroom?
Currently looking into buying afortable len for events like weddings and portraits phototaking.

I am a more on taking photo of sencery and micro objects with below lens.as so first time in taking photograph for people.like to have some advice before puchasing lens.

Currently own lens:canon 18-55mm(kit lens) & 55-250mm.

Thanks for advice given.
mashdash79

hi there,
Newbee to dslr here.i like to ask if the canon Ef-s 17-85mm is suitable for me to
use with my 500d for taking photograph on my friends r.o.m in the hotel ballroom?
Currently looking into buying afortable len for events like weddings and portraits phototaking.

I am a more on taking photo of sencery and micro objects with below lens.as so first time in taking photograph for people.like to have some advice before puchasing lens.

Thanks for advice given.
mashdash79

24-70 fits the need.. all in one lens. :)

... and a flash! Not your pop-up flash, but a proper TTL-controlled flash.

thanks,
but i am on a bugget ,can afford is lens below $700 only.any advice on that.
Flash i have with TTl-controled flash and a lambercy light diffuser.
thanks again

Are you the only PG?

Getting spare body is more crucial than getting another lens

Kit lens + external flash will do fine

Rent the lens if budget is tight. Apart from that, there is no 'wedding lens'. There are people shooting wedding with 10-20, some use 70-200, some other use anything in between, zoom and primes. Use whatever fits your needs and the conditions. Your kit lens can do the job, Tamron and 17-55 can do as well for a higher price tag.

bite the bullet and get the 17-55 or else just rent for actual day.

Welcome to CS :)
Your current lens should be able to do the job ;)

24-70 fits the need.. all in one lens. :)

Wah.. wicked~ :devil::bsmilie:
But that said, thats FF and ur wide end is compromised.
Think 17-55 USM or Tammy 17-50 is more suitable for TS :)

I agree with @num

The consideration showed for the crop-body camera that TS is using will benefit the "table" shots. The f/2.8 aperture will also help in achieving the bokeh effect seen in many of the wedding photos in CS.

All that being said; if you are creative enough and don't mind post-processing every single shot after the event, you can just get a flash (430EX/580EX) and go in with your current equipment.

Just my 2 cents :)

but the 17-50 does not work well under low light condition :(.... from my own experience

but the 17-50 does not work well under low light condition :(.... from my own experience

Oh really? i have no prior experience with Tamron 17-50 f2.8, then left 17-55 f2.8 USM then :)

i had this lens long ago.. and it ended up in my dry box until the day i gave it away to my brother... colors not good.. bokeh is bad and the total image is washed out.

ill stick to my 24-70 zoom.. its the "L" badge that counts.. this is of course on my own experience.. well maybe you have a different experience on this lens.. but for me my experience it not that good compared to the L.

hi there,

Thanks for advice given.
mashdash79

if you really wanna get serious in wedding photography.. get a FF and L lens. equipments and talent = success.. it always goes to this balanced notion at the end of the day.

EQUIPMENT + TALENT = SUCCESS

i had this lens long ago.. and it ended up in my dry box until the day i gave it away to my brother... colors not good.. bokeh is bad and the total image is washed out.

ill stick to my 24-70 zoom.. its the "L" badge that counts.. this is of course on my own experience.. well maybe you have a different experience on this lens.. but for me my experience it not that good compared to the L.

No. i have No experience for both lens (Canon 17-55 and Tammy 17-50).. becos i am a nikon user and am using 24-70 all along as well.

Since TS is on Crop, ideally he need coverage from wide to short tele, and for a fast lens there's not much other choices other than these 2 :)

Guys let's stick to TS limitation. $700 or less.

No point giving him suggestion which doesn't work

Guys let's stick to TS limitation. $700 or less.

No point giving him suggestion which doesn't work

ok.. for 700 i will buy the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

not so good not so bad.. focal range is not bad.. its in the middle.

Yes, your current kit lens will be enough with your flash. You are in a room, and you need close up, and your 18mm x 1.5 will be ok, and your 55mm x 1.5 will be useful, if further. Don't waste your money. No such thing as wedding lens - only the experience of the photographer who can "sense" the moments, and take pictures without hands shaking all over. No lens in the world takes the place of experience. Go and practise now and check your photos, before going in.