Lens for travelling

littlemiss

Aug 5, 2010
Hi,

Am a newbie to DSLR and CS, so i hope i can get some advice here. :)

Will be doing travelling to parts of Europe over the next few months.
The shots will include natural scenary as well as architectuals and night shots.
(Wide angle lens will be good)

Due to budget constraints, looking into getting a 2nd hand EOS 500D.
However, I want to limit the number of lens to carry around due to the extensive walking and also bearing in mind my budget.

Have the following combi in mind:
(1) EOS 500D with EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + Ultra wide angle (need some advice here)
(2) EOS 500D (body) + EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Will it be sufficient to get EFS 18-200mm IS lens? Heard that its a good travelling lens. Also, saw at canon website that it is considered wide angle lens as well. :dunno:

Also any recommendations for 3rd party lens for 18-200mm range? i heard of the following but not sure wad are the differences from the canon EFS lens.
- Sigma Canon Mount 18-200mm
- Tamron

Really need some advise.
Thanks a lot !!

Last edited:
For a newbie with no experience, it's probably easier to use the 18-200mm.

get the EOS 500D (body) + EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

the 200mm longer end might come in good use:)

But if you want to do night shots of architectures, better bring a tripod along.

The lens 18-200 is not considered 'fast' enough, meaning the aperture is not wide enough, like < 3, e.g., 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2, 2.8, etc. The 18-200's aperture is variable - at the widest (focal length 18mm), the aperture is F/3.5; at the longest telephoto zoom (focal length 200mm), the aperture is F/5.6.

As such, a tripod is necessary if you want to capture the scenes at the lowest ISO possible. But if you don't mind, maybe setting the ISO to the highest tolerable value that you can accept before it gets too noisy for your taste.

Another possible lens is the 15-85mm for your travels.

Just for your consideration.

Cheers!

PS: Do share your holiday pictures, love to see Europe from your viewpoint!

Hi,

Am a newbie to DSLR and CS, so i hope i can get some advice here. :)

Will be doing travelling to parts of Europe over the next few months.
The shots will include natural scenary as well as architectuals and night shots.
(Wide angle lens will be good)

Due to budget constraints, looking into getting a 2nd hand EOS 500D.
However, I want to limit the number of lens to carry around due to the extensive walking and also bearing in mind my budget.

Have the following combi in mind:
(1) EOS 500D with EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + Ultra wide angle (need some advice here)
(2) EOS 500D (body) + EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Will it be sufficient to get EFS 18-200mm IS lens? Heard that its a good travelling lens. Also, saw at canon website that it is considered wide angle lens as well. :dunno:

Really need some advise.
Thanks a lot !!

When you travel, do keep in mind that the gear you carry becomes cumbersome after a short while. Travel light is the maxim. In that regards, just bring:
(1) A Fast lens a.k.a. prime lens for night photography.
(2) EF-S 18-200mm would be good for general photog.
(3) Flash
(4) Tripod or monopod.

Anything else is very "in the way". :cool:

For your case, i believe a 18-200mm would be engh for general shooting...

if ur budget allows, go for a 35f/2 or 50f/1.8 as well for night/creative shooting ;)

I think a 50mm f1.8 is so cheap and light, there is no reason not to get that.

For your case, i believe a 18-200mm would be engh for general shooting...

if ur budget allows, go for a 35f/2 or 50f/1.8 as well for night/creative shooting ;)

Thanks for your suggestions. Sounds great! :cool:
i should being checking that out.