Lens For Travel (D50)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike2006

Apr 25, 2006
Hi All,

Newbies here, would like ask the people here about the lens used during travel. what do you recommend ? For example, landscape, people, building etc.

Nikon 18-200mm VRII.. Or Tamron 18-200mm if you're on a budget..

spike2006 said:
Hi All,

Newbies here, would like ask the people here about the lens used during travel. what do you recommend ? For example, landscape, people, building etc.

If you have the 18-55mm kit lens, that would already suffice.
If your intention is to travel light with one lens, choose between your kit lens, the 18-70mm or the 18-200mm.

There are, of course, better lens (for specific situations like those you mentioned), which I'm sure many would be too eager to introduce to you and I stop here.

Regards

spike2006 said:
Hi All,

If u have the new 18-200mm VR, of coz bring that.
One lens cover all and it gives decent results. (From reviews.)
I couldn't afford one yet. :bsmilie:

For poorer photogs, like myself who is on a budget.
I will bring 1)18-55mm kit lens (landscape & streets), 2)50mm f1.8D (for portraits) &
a tripod.

Depends on whether you are willing to carry multiple lens or are looking for a one lens to rulez them all situation. If you only want one lens, then the 18-200 VR recommended by others earlier is a very good compromise. For me, I would take at least two, a wide angle (12-24) and a midrange telephoto.

justarius said:
Depends on whether you are willing to carry multiple lens or are looking for a one lens to rulez them all situation. If you only want one lens, then the 18-200 VR recommended by others earlier is a very good compromise. For me, I would take at least two, a wide angle (12-24) and a midrange telephoto.
Yep... a 70-200VR along will be nice, pity Nikon doesn't have a 17-200 f/2.8VR :( Sigh.

I used to think that getting a good lens with broad range coverage is the answer for use when travelling, until I've travel with the DSLR and now I find that it is actually not really suitable for me at least.

I found it better to get a suitable P&S camera that has good DSLR features like RAW and good sharp lens as well, is way much better.

The top of the range 18-200mm lens will take you down S$1,200 thereabouts. This amount with a little bit top will get you a good P&S with a good slave flash.

I've recently acquired a Leica D-LUX2 and Metz 28 CS-2 slave flash, this is a much better travel camera setup than having a DSLR with 18-200mm setup.

Just my 2 cents.

../azul123

Hello people,

thanks for all the recommendations. Good Lens are really expensive and don;t think i spend too much on this. Most probably will get the 18-200mm lens or 18-125mm lens.

azul123 said:
I used to think that getting a good lens with broad range coverage is the answer for use when travelling, until I've travel with the DSLR and now I find that it is actually not really suitable for me at least.

I found it better to get a suitable P&S camera that has good DSLR features like RAW and good sharp lens as well, is way much better.

The top of the range 18-200mm lens will take you down S$1,200 thereabouts. This amount with a little bit top will get you a good P&S with a good slave flash.

I've recently acquired a Leica D-LUX2 and Metz 28 CS-2 slave flash, this is a much better travel camera setup than having a DSLR with 18-200mm setup.

Just my 2 cents.

../azul123
The convenience out-weighs performance/coverage when travelling, this is just my take.

../azul123

Hi azul123

Kinda of agree with you on P&S camera. i used to bring my canon A70 ( own for 2 years ) on road and it satisfied most of my needs.

I guess i'm getting hand itchy, wanting to try out some thing better & new.

The other issue I'm pretty worry about is how to maintain the equipment properly during the journey. Things Like heavy rain, cold weather, rough handling of my luggage on bus always
scared me alot. haha.

azul123 said:
The convenience out-weighs performance/coverage when travelling, this is just my take.

../azul123

azul123 said:

Just my 2 cents.

../azul123
But good P&S will still suffer from noisy image because of the small size of the sensor. Plus, a good P&S in that range will probably be as large as a DSLR also. I went on a trip last yeat with D70s and the 18-70 kit lens and this year with the 18-200 and was convinced that this is THE lens for leisure travel.

Well, u get what u paid for. Shoot at lower iso loh. Anyway, I never print image of larger size, so noise is not really issue to me. But i do found that the Auto focus of A70 is quite bad, about 30 to 40 percent of photo are having soften image ( maybe be my hand too).

BTW, the 18-200 is which brand?

lsisaxon said:
But good P&S will still suffer from noisy image because of the small size of the sensor. Plus, a good P&S in that range will probably be as large as a DSLR also. I went on a trip last yeat with D70s and the 18-70 kit lens and this year with the 18-200 and was convinced that this is THE lens for leisure travel.

lsisaxon said:
I won't argue with you on that... just that requirements differ, I don't mind noisy image which I can use some software to remove plus the convenience of a good P&S for me out-weighs the DSLR option.

Others may prefer better quality less noisy at higher ISO and moving around with DSLR, also I think where you travel is another point to take note, imagine lugging around a DSLR in tough terrain with a camera bag and compare that with a camera pouch, it's a world of difference.

I used to want the DSLR option, but changed my mind... no right or wrong answers. I now carry a camera with me every day, because I have a small yet good P&S, whilst I cannot carry my DSLR every day, maybe others can and do.

Peace.

../azul123

Given the choice agian, I'll still want to lug a D2X + AF-S 17-35 + AF-S 70-200VR to Japan again.

:)

PnS has it's moments and so does DSLR, so guys, don't need to fight over which you prefer, let's stick to the TS's requirements.

spike2006 said:
Well, u get what u paid for. Shoot at lower iso loh. Anyway, I never print image of larger size, so noise is not really issue to me. But i do found that the Auto focus of A70 is quite bad, about 30 to 40 percent of photo are having soften image ( maybe be my hand too).

BTW, the 18-200 is which brand?
Ahh.. sorry.. It's the Nikon 18-200 VR.

spike2006 said:
Hi All,

well, personally, i use a AFS nikon 24-85/3.5-4.5 lens on my d50 as an all-purpose shooting lens. not the fastest lens on the blk, but sharp. the reason i chose this lens was becos i got a nikon SLR. so, all those DX lenses like the 18-70 cannot be used on a SLR.

if u want a travel lens, suggest u have a look at the sigma/tamron 18-125 or 18-200 lenses. these are abt as all-pupose as u can get, and relatively cheaper (and easier to find) than the nikon 18-200 VR. :)

azul123 said:
I won't argue with you on that... just that requirements differ, I don't mind noisy image which I can use some software to remove plus the convenience of a good P&S for me out-weighs the DSLR option.

Others may prefer better quality less noisy at higher ISO and moving around with DSLR, also I think where you travel is another point to take note, imagine lugging around a DSLR in tough terrain with a camera bag and compare that with a camera pouch, it's a world of difference.

I used to want the DSLR option, but changed my mind... no right or wrong answers. I now carry a camera with me every day, because I have a small yet good P&S, whilst I cannot carry my DSLR every day, maybe others can and do.

Peace.

../azul123
Same.. I carry a small PnS when I cannot carry the DSLR too. And definitely if you know there's going to be rough terrain. I went on a group tour, so I reckon it's safe to bring a DSLR, but definitely not with heavy lenses to bog me down. :)

espn said:
Given the choice agian, I'll still want to lug a D2X + AF-S 17-35 + AF-S 70-200VR to Japan again.

:)

PnS has it's moments and so does DSLR, so guys, don't need to fight over which you prefer, let's stick to the TS's requirements.
No lah, where got argue... I hope I didn't sound like I was arguing, :sweat:

Anyway, I just think that photography is great, I am enjoying this learning and exploring different settings and seeing the results. This forum has taught me a great deal. :thumbsup:

../azul123

Status
Not open for further replies.