Lens for taiwan, taipei trip

evomclaren

Dec 1, 2010
Hi all!

I'll be going tapei thus wednesday. Any advice on the recommended lens for this trip? Any idea where there are good places to buy lens/accessories in taipei? Thanks!

It really depends on what you want to shoot, y'know...........

correct.

its just like what u like to shoot in Singapore, those lens u usually use.

there is no such thing as taiwan lens or lens for taiwan, singapore lens or lens for singapore (sound silly right?)

just plan what u like to shoot in taiwan u will get your answer, for example if u like landscape, definitely a ultra wide angle or wide angle lens, if u like street, then maybe a 50mm or zoom lens (for candids without scaring your subject) etc. no one will know what u like to shoot.

for me i rarely use zoom lens (i am a full prime lens user now) even in singapore unless i am shooting portrait photos.

i am going to taiwan next mth, i will be bringing my 21mm for landscape, 35mm for walk about/street, and 200mm for candid shots.

from the lonely planet guide i bought, it says Hankou St (southwest of Taipei Main Station) is a good place to buy photography products, u can use this lead to google for more info.

Last edited:
In my opinion, lenses and filters are generally cheaper in Taipei City. Most of the camera shops are bunched up in the area near Taipei Main Station (台北车站), namely along Boai Road (博爱路), 开封街 (Kaifeng Street) and Hankou Road (汉口路). I work in Taipei City. Unfortunately I am returning to Singapore for a short trip this Friday otherwise I can bring you around.

In my opinion, lenses and filters are generally cheaper in Taipei City. Most of the camera shops are bunched up in the area near Taipei Main Station (台北车站), namely along Boai Road (博爱路), 开封街 (Kaifeng Street) and Hankou Road (汉口路). I work in Taipei City. Unfortunately I am returning to Singapore for a short trip this Friday otherwise I can bring you around.

rofl this made my day :eek:

as mentioned, what are u shooting? are u on free and easy or are u on tour?

sorry to hijack the thread... but out of curiosity (i'm going to Taiwan next Tuesday as well), is it worth it to purchase lens and stuff in Taiwan? o_O

I just came back from my Taiwan trip a few weeks ago. I generally using a zoom lens (18-200) for most of my photography needs (range is important for my shooting style). Hope this helps!

sorry to hijack the thread... but out of curiosity (i'm going to Taiwan next Tuesday as well), is it worth it to purchase lens and stuff in Taiwan? o_O

It has been quite sometime when I checked prices of lenses etc. in Singapore that I found to be generally higher than prices in Taipei. I am not sure about now but if situation remains the same, lenses and filters should still be cheaper in Taipei. However bear in mind not all photographic accessories are cheaper there, for instance, camera bags are more expensive there. This should be simple. Check the prices in Singapore before heading there and buy only if it is worthwhile.
Prices of cameras are quite competitive compared to Singapore but they all come with local warranty only unlike most lenses that provide international warranty. Instruction manuals too are in Chinese but a good thing about buying DSLR body in Taiwan is that the local distributors provide free cleaning of sensor as long as the set is distributed by them.

I can vouch for the usefulness of the 18-200 lens for travel photography. I own a total of 12 lenses from fisheye, macro, zoom including those with constant F2.8 aperture, prime including wide angle, standard and tele and travel extensively. Depending on where I go, I would pack the lenses which I think I may need but take my word for it, the lens that stay on my main camera is the 18-200 90% of the time. I also travel with a second DSLR converted for IR photography and most of the time, it is the 12-24. The 17-55, 7-200 etc. is rarely used. They sure are sharper and faster lenses but the range is too limited. Unless you know exactly what you are going to take in advance, and are not bothered about shoot other thing, they are OK. Bear in mind that taking a reasonable good picture is better than taking none as by the time you swop your lens for better one, you would have missed the opportunity most of the time. True the 18-200 is not so sharp, not so fast and has more optical imperfection but this is not a problem if you use software like DxO, which is in my opinion the most useful application for photography. I take RAW with basic small JPEG all the time and have DxO converts the images into JPEG. Try this out.

Hi all,

I am back from my taiwan trip! I fully agreed with bros that have suggested 18-200, which is the lens that have serve me well for the past 5 days. Thanks!

Hey sorry to hijack this thread but I'll be leaving for Taiwan on 20th dec. Currently thinking between tokina 11-16 or sigma 18-200 to bring along. It'll be a scenic guided tour so I don't have the luxury to take my own time.

Should I stick w 11-16 or 18-200 or bring both and keep changing. Oh there's the 天灯 and old cities and rock formations. 11-16 would work better in low light but 18-200 is more versatile in terms of reach.

Any suggestions from experienced bros here?

edit: oh yea I'll be expecting weathers from 10-15 degrees.

Last edited:
Bring both..Since they are not very heavy.. the tokina will be useful if you need to shoot under low light also..

TWmilkteaTW said:
Bring both..Since they are not very heavy.. the tokina will be useful if you need to shoot under low light also..

Will it be too much of a hassle to keep changing during a guided tour?

Will it be too much of a hassle to keep changing during a guided tour?
that depends..how often you change and where you change..Sometimes they bring you to attractions or while traveling on the transport.. you can change..but of cos try not to change like in the middle of the night market where its so bloody crowded..

If you are afraid of hassle..weight..theft. then dont bring it. If not..bring. ill choose the latter if i were you.

TWmilkteaTW said:
that depends..how often you change and where you change..Sometimes they bring you to attractions or while traveling on the transport.. you can change..but of cos try not to change like in the middle of the night market where its so bloody crowded..

If you are afraid of hassle..weight..theft. then dont bring it. If not..bring. ill choose the latter if i were you.

Ah okay I get what you mean. I think I'll bring both along but 11-16 will be my main.

On another note will the lenspen degrade in conditions like 10-15 degrees?

Also I'm currently using a hand strap. Will changing to a neckstrap be more convenient?

Ah okay I get what you mean. I think I'll bring both along but 11-16 will be my main.

On another note will the lenspen degrade in conditions like 10-15 degrees?

Also I'm currently using a hand strap. Will changing to a neckstrap be more convenient?
lenspen..im not sure..but should be ok. as long you keep it in your bag and keep it dry..

Hand strap or neckstrap..this question is very subjective and personal. Just use whatever that is more comfortable and convenient for you..You are the photographer..not me. U decide how you want to carry it.

TWmilkteaTW said:
lenspen..im not sure..but should be ok. as long you keep it in your bag and keep it dry..

Hand strap or neckstrap..this question is very subjective and personal. Just use whatever that is more comfortable and convenient for you..You are the photographer..not me. U decide how you want to carry it.

Ahhh okay!

Thanks for all your help man!!
Your name already makes me feel like I'm halfway to Taiwan!! Hahaha

If it is a photo shoot trip then bring everything .
If not then just a medium to tele zoom so you can keep record .

Sylvestri said:
If it is a photo shoot trip then bring everything .
If not then just a medium to tele zoom so you can keep record .

So my wide won't be that much of use? I thought I'll be using it more then then 18-200