lens for street photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

castarito

Dec 23, 2008
hey guys . i need some help from u experience photographers. ermm i love shooting street shots so im woundering what is the best lens to go with? no need that too expensive lens an average lens will do.. hope u guys would help me out here..im u btw sing nikon d60... thanks! :D

hey guys . i need some help from u experience photographers. ermm i love shooting street shots so im woundering what is the best lens to go with? no need that too expensive lens an average lens will do.. hope u guys would help me out here..im u btw sing nikon d60... thanks! :D

you are welcome

those who know me well will know it got to be

the one and only 'cult-status' af 55-200mm f4-5.6 NON VR !!!

borrowing the favourite one liner phrase most humans like to use in the buy/sell forums:

... this lens needs no introduction ... :bsmilie:

below 50mm our eyes can see clearly, no need to photograph

beyond 200mm is difficult to make out anyway, so no point

Any lens can be a walk about lens. Some people prefer a prime lens like the cheap 50mm, some prefer wider lenses like a 24mm or 28mm while others prefer a longer range like the 200mm. You have to first identify what you want to shoot. Perhaps a 18-200mm or your kit lens would be able to fit as a general lens.

i also planning to get 10-200mm but not sure wether to buy or not.. haha kinda confuse about the 50-200 n 18-200 haha im kinda new with all these things..

u dont know what u want...then u shouldnt be buying any
street shots? pns also can do streetshots

i wanna find a all rounder lens where in streets can take any pics..

Assuming you stick to Nikon and not f2.8 (read affordable):

(a)AFS DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED ~ all rounder but expensive

(b)AFS DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (5.3x) ~ probably the best IQ amongst DX zooms but almost as expensive

(c)AFS DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED ~ quality is almost on par with the above two and quite affordable but no VR

The rest of the other Nikkors:
AFS DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AFS DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AFS DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

17-55? or maybe theres the tamron lens.. 18-270 iirc.

get an old nikon manual lens, these go cheaply

personally, if you want to shoot STREET PHOTOGRAPHY per se,

a lot of them like 40-50mm in 35mm film terms

go with ur kit lens. compact and light!

:cool:

u dont know what u want...then u shouldnt be buying any
street shots? pns also can do streetshots

agree with the pns....most of my fav street shots were taken with pns. :bsmilie:

what is the difference between sigma n tamron lens? is it lyke a cheap brand?

what is the difference between sigma n tamron lens? is it lyke a cheap brand?

2098172458_020b6a9ca8_o.jpg

just my preference....i like mine as wide as possible ..... street shooting means including elements of the environment around the subject(s) and managing the image .... helps 'tell' the 'story' better imho

I've tried to give the 70-2002.8 a fair shake on the street but just not my cup of tea... the subject/situation just feels so detached ...... also got to shoot from quite far to squeeze what I want into the image .....which leads to another problem...... alot of interruptions when unwanted 'subjects' keep walking into my line-of-fire especially in a crowded place

With a crop factor of 1.5 - 1.6 a 10-20ish zoom would be my recommended lens of choice... (and maybe back it up with a 50mm short tele) you'll need to brush up on your 'people skills' if you want to yeild it well LOL !

good luck ! :)

Anything goes...

You can shoot wide (when you're up close to the scene) or shoot tele when you're further away....

All up to your personal feel...

I think TS should give some details on what he wans in his "street shot lens".

E.G - Light, Fast and Wide lens at a affordable price - maybe a Tamron 17-50?

- Long focal length lens to cover most of the stuffs on streets/events - maybe a 18-200?

etc.etc.etc

i tought of having 18-200mm lens .. that was what i tought from the beginning..

Yes, 18-200mm is a really good "shoot everything" lens. But do u mind the weight factor? How about taking pictures in low light environment, is ur lens fast enough?

I really recommend u to use ur kit lens as an estimation of what kind of lens and approxmiately how much of a focal length do u need, go thru ur old photos.

Do u find that u are having a hard time in low light situations? At what focal length do you usually shoot and do you find that it limits ur creativity or urge to take nicer pictures? so do you really need the extra focal length then?

I have a fren who bght the 18-200mm lens as his starter kit, ended up selling it off after 2-3mths. Its a good lens, like 3 in 1 kopi. But he prefer having a faster lens with shorter focal length as he shoots @ 70mm and below normally for street shots.

In the end he bght the 55-200mm kit lens and bght a Tamron 17-50, with the cheapo godlike prime AF 50mm F1.8D, he had no trouble shooting in low light situations and ocasionally covering the object thats in the 150mm focal length range with his 55-200mm.

Some budget calculation of my fren's lens - 18-200 @ $ 1100 after selling he got back $900, Bought the 50mm prime@ $175(1st hand), the tamron 17-50@ $630(1st hand), 55-200mm VR@ $250(2nd hand) which adds up to $1055.

So ask yourself what do u really need?

Yes, 18-200mm is a really good "shoot everything" lens. But do u mind the weight factor? How about taking pictures in low light environment, is ur lens fast enough?

I really recommend u to use ur kit lens as an estimation of what kind of lens and approxmiately how much of a focal length do u need, go thru ur old photos.

Do u find that u are having a hard time in low light situations? At what focal length do you usually shoot and do you find that it limits ur creativity or urge to take nicer pictures? so do you really need the extra focal length then?

I have a fren who bght the 18-200mm lens as his starter kit, ended up selling it off after 2-3mths. Its a good lens, like 3 in 1 kopi. But he prefer having a faster lens with shorter focal length as he shoots @ 70mm and below normally for street shots.

In the end he bght the 55-200mm kit lens and bght a Tamron 17-50, with the cheapo godlike prime AF 50mm F1.8D, he had no trouble shooting in low light situations and ocasionally covering the object thats in the 150mm focal length range with his 55-200mm.

Some budget calculation of my fren's lens - 18-200 @ $ 1100 after selling he got back $900, Bought the 50mm prime@ $175(1st hand), the tamron 17-50@ $630(1st hand), 55-200mm VR@ $250(2nd hand) which adds up to $1055.

So ask yourself what do u really need?

hey bro really help me alot. i think ur rite.. is it a must to have 18-200mm and do i use that alot? i guess no.. but what u said was all true! thnx for waking me up bro! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.