lens for snapping expression

Status
Not open for further replies.

integrasky

Feb 18, 2008
greetings...

i love taking / snapping expressions of ppl... therefore can i ask around what kind of lens is good and not that ex?

i am using a 40d now with a Tamron 17-50mm lens.... cheers to all....

:)

Why can't your current lens 'snap an expression' ?

greetings...

i love taking / snapping expressions of ppl... therefore can i ask around what kind of lens is good and not that ex?

The 17-50mm range on an APS-C sensor camera can be a good range for street shooting. There are many fells who love shooting wide for streets.

Ryan

greetings...

Candid or posed? If posed, the 17-50 is enough. Otherwise, you need something longer.

the photographer captures the expression

it depends on what you want, please, if you have not thought it through, then any lens under the sun, even a fisheye can capture expressions

my lens can do the job but as mentioned.. need something where can zoom further yet remain crystal sharp pics... :) mainly for candid... :)

thanks to above seniors that given direction though...

who the hell cares what lens use for the snapping expression. just dont forget the focus and zoom (if the zoom is your concern, just move into or away from subject). CONCENTRATE on the subject. forget the lense.

If you're more worried about candid pics at a distance, get a telefocus lens, something like a 75-300. Easy and logical, right?

I dont care what lense it takes. if i bring along 85mm so be it, i will just move back a little. it was 300mm, then i go to move in closer. I dont know why you (the tread starter) have this worrying feeling - just let yourself go and capture the moment using what you have. WHO IN THE WORLD CARES IF YOU USE a mere 24mm lense when the moment of expression was not captured ?

haha.. indeed.. movements are the easier way to handle this situation.

but there are many occasion where i tend to stand too far from the target of interest... and because it meant to be candid... cannot be too near as ppl will change their expression differently... :)

anyway... thanks for all inputs though...

haha.. indeed.. movements are the easier way to handle this situation.

but there are many occasion where i tend to stand too far from the target of interest... and because it meant to be candid... cannot be too near as ppl will change their expression differently... :)

anyway... thanks for all inputs though...

Integrasky - Think about it - "where I stand too far ..." - are you uncomfortable taking the shot in the first place?! If so, you're not even focusing on your subject, but on yourself, and ANY lens you use would yield less than "interesting" results. Also, when you're sort of "across the street" with a long thing sticking out the front of your DSLR, you will certainly attract way more attention as compared with the casual passerby who snaps with a less threatening, "less professional" setup!

As pointed out above, if posed, anything goes, but if you intend taking candids at a "reasonable" perspective, then for head or upper-torso, you'll get along just fine with any of an 85mm, 90mm or 100mm on a typical DSLR (not full-frame). More important it is to not feel self-conscious, to learn how to feel and look natural with your camera, and to respect your subjects! Why, with the very young and the very old, you can get superb shots even with a 30mm lens from across the dinner table! (Not advisable for anybody else not in the above groups, though!!!)

A warning, though - you might actually have more success with your kit lens prefocussed to the intended distance (appropriate aperture, of course), rather than the higher-image-quality lenses in the ranges described above, as poorly focussed shots with these lenses stick out unbelievably obviously!!! We've all done it, unfortunately, and it only reduces with tons of practice and good judgment of distance. The good prime lenses highlight every flaw in equipment AND technique!

Enjoy!

greetings...

85/1.8. :)

1. An 85mm (136 EFL) is about the shortest focal length you can use for getting a head and shoulder candid without disturbing the scene.

2. The 85/1.8 has one of the fastest AF motors, rivaled only by the big white primes. From my personal experience its AF is significantly faster than the 24-70L.

3. The big 1.8 aperture allows faster and more accurate AF than the Tamron 17-50, for that matter, any zoom, Canon or third party.

4. The 85/1.8 has a natural bokeh that creams anything from any zoom in this price range.

5. The 85/1.8 is sharp wide open.

6. The 1.8 coupled with ISO 800/1600 (at about 1/80s) allows ambient (flashless) candids in dim indoor conditions. Some hotel dinner ballrooms are too dim, but fluorescent-type lighting is okay.

7. Goes for around $400-$500 used - not too "ex" considering the kind of pictures it produces.

This is from my experience with weddings, where people kinda expect the photographer to be firing away. For street, i would go with a 70-300-class lens for outdoor stuff.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
shooting angle and lighting condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.