Lens for shooting in events in nightclub

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbidbear

Feb 13, 2006
Hey guys, what lense is good for shooting events in nightclubs? Any idea how much it costs?

I shot with my kit lens previously and it did not turn out very well. Intending to buy a better lens.

Hey guys, what lense is good for shooting events in nightclubs? Any idea how much it costs?

I shot with my kit lens previously and it did not turn out very well. Intending to buy a better lens.

In the first place, how ar you gonna shoot? With or without flash? If without, then you'd need to bump up the ISO and use a large aperture lens...

With flash, then you won't have to worry too much, only on how you'd want to control the flash, slow sync, rear sync, etc...

hmm you would need fast lens 2.8 and below
Price depends on what you're buying
Fast zooms will be more expensive than primes

I used my SB 800, and rear sync. But many photos turned out blur.

blur in what sense?
motion blur?
or handshake?
shutter needs to be faster to prevent motion blur
but in a dark enviroment like a nightclub u need to expose properly
so best way is to get a faster lens

Wat's the shutter speed? Could have been your movement that caused blur.

hmm I dont think a fast lens is a practical solution in a club. Unless your camera handles noise very well at extreme ISOs, a club usually is too dark in any event. A fast zoom lens is also too expensive and probably heavy and bulky to carry around in the crowd. A fast prime is too inflexible to be used.

I would imagine a standard zoom or slightly wide zoom lens should be most versatile for use in a club. When you mention the pictures are blur, is it a focus problem or motion blurness?

A second curtain flash would freeze motion at the end of the exposure but there should still be motion blurness if you are using slow flash sync. If it is out of focus, is it because your AF assist is not working? Maybe you can post a few examples up for reference.

;o)

i think the most important thing at the club would be a good body, because unless you can get good focus, no lens is going to be sharp, and when its dim, the autofocus sensor just goes bonkers.

Pse correct me if I'm wrong, if you use rear sync, your flash is basically augmenting the ambient light, that's why your exposure is longer, causing motion blur. Using the normal mode settles this issue, but your subjects will have this startled look. That's why they use bounced flash instead.

ok i shoot alot in the clubs.. you can check my flickr site for examples so ill give my 2 cents worth on my technique. When i shoot in nightclubs, what i want is to capture the ambient light textures like the strobes and discolights so on and so forth.. so therefore i want my shutter speed to be longer.. but at the same time exposing too long a shutter speed will definately cause motion blur, especially if i dont shoot static people.. so id say a shutter speed of 1/4 to about 1/15(set manually) is usable at ISO 400.. sometimes i want rich colors i even go as low as ISO200. Because you are not shooting studio, you dont need tack sharp photos so a little motion blur plus flash freezing the subject is acceptable.. of course flash as mentioned above is set to rear sync.. so now you have your subject exposed AND ambient light textures. The wonders of TTL will help you out with exposure not to worry. I usually set aperture about 3.5/4 and it gives a good balance. Having a fast lens is a misnomer.. it does nothing for you because you DEFINATELY need flash.. It just so happens good pro sharp glass is 2.8.. but kit lenses like 18-70mm which i use produces results nonetheless. The only thing 2.8 glass helps you with is autofocus.. as mentioned above, a good body gives an advantage in things like continuous focus with many AF points to lock on moving subjects. But i still get results using my D70s so its not a must have. Bounce flash in a big club like MOS where i shoot is useless.. but i use it anyway to diffuse the light. i because i shoot up close. This is another thing. my favorite lens is the 12-24mm. Shoot up close for best results because flash and tele wont do s*it in the there. i tried 17-35mm.. sold it and moved to 12-24mm i dont use tele. im experimenting with bulb flash next.. i bought a norman 200b. you want nightclub insipiration.. visit my heroes site. http://www.ambrel.net hope this helps..

i think the most important thing at the club would be a good body, because unless you can get good focus, no lens is going to be sharp, and when its dim, the autofocus sensor just goes bonkers.
afraid of focusing? do ultra wide angle then.

ok i shoot alot in the clubs.. you can check my flickr site for examples so ill give my 2 cents worth on my technique. When i shoot in nightclubs, what i want is to capture the ambient light textures like the strobes and discolights so on and so forth.. so therefore i want my shutter speed to be longer.. but at the same time exposing too long a shutter speed will definately cause motion blur, especially if i dont shoot static people.. so id say a shutter speed of 1/4 to about 1/15(set manually) is usable at ISO 400.. sometimes i want rich colors i even go as low as ISO200. Because you are not shooting studio, you dont need tack sharp photos so a little motion blur plus flash freezing the subject is acceptable.. of course flash as mentioned above is set to rear sync.. so now you have your subject exposed AND ambient light textures. The wonders of TTL will help you out with exposure not to worry. I usually set aperture about 3.5/4 and it gives a good balance. Having a fast lens is a misnomer.. it does nothing for you because you DEFINATELY need flash.. It just so happens good pro sharp glass is 2.8.. but kit lenses like 18-70mm which i use produces results nonetheless. The only thing 2.8 glass helps you with is autofocus.. as mentioned above, a good body gives an advantage in things like continuous focus with many AF points to lock on moving subjects. But i still get results using my D70s so its not a must have. Bounce flash in a big club like MOS where i shoot is useless.. but i use it anyway to diffuse the light. i because i shoot up close. This is another thing. my favorite lens is the 12-24mm. Shoot up close for best results because flash and tele wont do s*it in the there. i tried 17-35mm.. sold it and moved to 12-24mm i dont use tele. im experimenting with bulb flash next.. i bought a norman 200b. you want nightclub insipiration.. visit my heroes site. http://www.ambrel.net hope this helps..

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.