Lens for shooting handmade jewelleries

askquek

Oct 4, 2009
Singapore
Hello all,

I am trying to shoot some handmade jewelleries for publishing on the web. I have also just bought a light tent (SGD60) for the purpose.

What lens should I use for taking such pictures?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Regards,

A macro lens is always good. Buy or rent one.

best is get a 50/60mm micro lens, if your items are very small you will need 100mm lens.

however, these micro lenses don't come cheap, you can use a close up filter on your existing lens if budget is an issue.

hope this help.

Thanks for all the responses...

Will it be possible to be more specific as to which lens? It is difficult for me to check out the recommended lens without specifics....

The first two replies asking me to use marco while the 3rd reply ask me to use micro lens.... ????

I am confused...

Regards,

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am trying to shoot some handmade jewelleries for publishing on the web. I have also just bought a light tent (SGD60) for the purpose.

Regards,

An dedicated macro lens in the range of 60-105mm will do the job well for u :)

Thanks for all the responses...

Will it be possible to be more specific as to which lens? It is difficult for me to check out the recommended lens without specifics....

The first two replies asking me to use marco while the 3rd reply ask me to use micro lens.... ????

I am confused...

Regards,
are we suppose to check with you what camera you use before we can post??

My humble apologies....

I am having a Canon 7D...

Thanks,

Any macro lens which can give a 1:1 magnification will be good for ur purpose. u didn't state ur camera s9 we wouldn't know the exact lens to recommend. but if u happen to be a Sony user, u can get a 30mm 1:1 macro lens for $200 2nd hand, which should be the cheapest macro lens of all systems.

if your using canon EF-S 18-55 IS, it has descent magnification good enough for your purpose, plus it wont brake the bank...

4457681158_55ea22d114_z.jpg

4457681768_c34c6e94db_z.jpg

Hello all,

Sorry for missing out some information when asking for advise:

I am using a Canon 7D and my daughter is using Canon 350D

Current lens available are 10-22, 17-55, 24-105 and 70-200 (f4).

Don't mind getting another lens, if necessary....

Thanks,

Hello all,

Sorry for missing out some information when asking for advise:

I am using a Canon 7D and my daughter is using Canon 350D

Current lens available are 10-22, 17-55, 24-105 and 70-200 (f4).

Don't mind getting another lens, if necessary....

Thanks,

24-105 and 70-200 (f4). these 2 should do.... without proper finishing and polishing equiptment (I am guessing) being homemade jewelleries, I would not go for macro

spend a little money at Mass Sellers section on some cheap and good lighting equiptment and maybe a tripod ...... AND a good anti-static brush/cloth from your neighborhood Daiso or similar?

for flattering product photography, using light well is often more important than having better lenses (esp in your case with the lenses you have currently) ..... i use a 28-135 3.5-5.6 and a cheap 50/1.8 most of the time on smaller things

Last edited:
macro lens is usually the lens to use for jewelleries. However you can experiment with your current lenses available as ed9119 suggested.

sometimes a torchlight can come in handy for bringing out sparkles or shine on your product.

have fun! :)

If u r shooting for online brochure, no harm using macro lens to create nice bokeh and reveal lots of micro details, but if the image is for shopping cart, then do check DOF, it's often better to have the whole thing in focus so that shoppers can see the entire piece clearly. Personally, i would use the lens that better suit the purpose. :)

Thanks to all that have helped... I think I will get a 100mm Macro and try it out.

Again, many thanks....

Hello all,

Regards,

Do you studio lighting for your tent? (i.e. Lightbox)
When I did my product photography (in class), we have studio lighting and a light tent.

A 50mm, F1.8 lens is enough for me. ;)