Lens for shooting Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltake

Oct 10, 2006
Up North......
My wife just gave birth to a set of twins..... would like to shoot some nice photos. Please advise what lens would be appropriate to buy eh? :) Will probably be shooting mainly at home.

My wife just gave birth to a set of twins..... would like to shoot some nice photos. Please advise what lens would be appropriate to buy eh? :) Will probably be shooting mainly at home.

Try a fast lens. Remember that the babies eyes are not capable of dealing with strong light yet, as such shoot without flash for the first 6 months...

If you're using Nikon, consider the 50 f1.8 or f.14, 35 f2, etc....

Try a fast lens. Remember that the babies eyes are not capable of dealing with strong light yet, as such shoot without flash for the first 6 months...

If you're using Nikon, consider the 50 f1.8 or f.14, 35 f2, etc....

Thanks for the reply bro.......... whats the price for a brand new Nikon 50 f1.8??

cheap...

$170 - $180 ;)

Will the pics come out good? Is there any better lens that will provide sharper pics? The twins are actually still in Special Care in KK, sometimes abit dark and light is abit low. Appreciate your advise bro!! Cheers!

Will the pics come out good? Is there any better lens that will provide sharper pics? The twins are actually still in Special Care in KK, sometimes abit dark and light is abit low. Appreciate your advise bro!! Cheers!

It's sharp enough with decent lighting... I prefer to use avail light from the window in such cases...

I took some shots but as they are of my fren's baby, I'm not gonna post those pics. As mentioned, if you need a larger aperture, there is a 50mm f1.4, but it ain't cheap at abt $450...

;)

I prefer the AF 50mm f/1.4D. It is a very under-rated lens -- the fact that it offers 2/3 more of a stop while being priced almost 3X !!!

For indoors, it's a poor man's AF 85mm f/1.4D // AF 85mm f/1.8D.

Generally, or at least for me, I don't want pics of woman or babies too sharp. An f-stop of f/2 - f/4, available light, with steady hands and your babies will be proud of you when they grows up.

By the way, congratulations and wish them the very best of health!

Best regards,
yy

I prefer the AF 50mm f/1.4D. It is a very under-rated lens -- the fact that it offers 2/3 more of a stop while being priced almost 3X !!!

For indoors, it's a poor man's AF 85mm f/1.4D // AF 85mm f/1.8D.

Generally, or at least for me, I don't want pics of woman or babies too sharp. An f-stop of f/2 - f/4, available light, with steady hands and your babies will be proud of you when they grows up.

By the way, congratulations and wish them the very best of health!

Best regards,
yy

Thanks bro. Babies are still in KK and doing well, can't wait for them to come home. Miss them every night man.

From your view above, does it means if I can get the AF 85mm f/1.8D, it will be better? Afterall, it will also come in handy with taking potrait pics. Appreciate your advise.

Both the 85mm & 50mm focal length have their own characteristics which I'm sure you are already aware.

If space is a premium, a 50mm would be more ideal. Not that you can't capture your twins with the 85mm; just that you need a little more breathing space in between for full body shots... come to think of it, they'll still babies so it should be easy.

Of course, as a potrait lens, either of the 85mm would be better.

If you need something now and have the resources to upgrade later, buy the AF 50mm f/1.8D first... and the AF 85mm f/1.4D (or faster / better lens) later.

If you can only spare one lens, buy the slower 85mm equivalent.

Note that there are also the possibility of zooms.

May your whole family be re-united soon! :)

P.S. I'm speaking from a Nikon perspective -- I'm not sure about others but I think it holds.

Thanks bro. Babies are still in KK and doing well, can't wait for them to come home. Miss them every night man.

From your view above, does it means if I can get the AF 85mm f/1.8D, it will be better? Afterall, it will also come in handy with taking potrait pics. Appreciate your advise.

Both the 85mm & 50mm focal length have their own characteristics which I'm sure you are already aware.

If space is a premium, a 50mm would be more ideal. Not that you can't capture your twins with the 85mm; just that you need a little more breathing space in between for full body shots... come to think of it, they'll still babies so it should be easy.

Of course, as a potrait lens, either of the 85mm would be better.

If you need something now and have the resources to upgrade later, buy the AF 50mm f/1.8D first... and the AF 85mm f/1.4D (or faster / better lens) later.

If you can only spare one lens, buy the slower 85mm equivalent.

Note that there are also the possibility of zooms.

May your whole family be re-united soon! :)

P.S. I'm speaking from a Nikon perspective -- I'm not sure about others but I think it holds.

Noted bro, will go for the 50mm and upgrade to 85mm 1.4 at a later stage. Thanks for your kind word and advice, cheers!

First of all, Congratulations to yr newborns. Nothing is more precious than capturing those wonderful moments. Don,t waste any more time, get it tomorrow and take photographs of them asap.

I would recomend the 50mm 1.4, very sharp lens, good bokeh and perform excellent in low light conditions.

First of all, Congratulations to yr newborns. Nothing is more precious than capturing those wonderful moments. Don,t waste any more time, get it tomorrow and take photographs of them asap.

I would recomend the 50mm 1.4, very sharp lens, good bokeh and perform excellent in low light conditions.

Thanks bro!! I already gotten the 50mm f/1.8d this morning....hehhe.... will be taking some shots in the afternoon or evening....... cheers!

lens for babies... hmm... = lensbaby? ;p

ya, i think a 50mm f1.8 is good, can afford abit more, the 50mm f1.4 is more delicious, cost is almost double, but the quality of pictures is also multiplied... bokeh, color contrast etc...

anyway, congrats! so 2 boy or 2 girl, or 1 boy 1 girl?

ya, i think a 50mm f1.8 is good, can afford abit more, the 50mm f1.4 is more delicious, cost is almost double, but the quality of pictures is also multiplied... bokeh, color contrast etc...

2 gals!! And I already have a gal (5yrs)..... so its POWER PUFF team!! I mati liao.... the big one play horse game with me everynight........ when the next 2 come..... I think they going to break my back!!! :bsmilie:

Yeah, maybe will try the 50mm f1.4 in future.... if I get somemore bonus in April'07...hehhe...

2 gals!! And I already have a gal (5yrs)..... so its POWER PUFF team!! I mati liao.... the big one play horse game with me everynight........ when the next 2 come..... I think they going to break my back!!! :bsmilie:

Yeah, maybe will try the 50mm f1.4 in future.... if I get somemore bonus in April'07...hehhe...

hahaha... sound like fun... next time u say u the banana boat lah, just lie down on a water bed or something, then let them crawl all over u lor...

Actually I thnk the lensbaby will be a good lens to try some interesting shot of babies.

can i know Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF good or not? compare to Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF ..?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.