Lens for shooting Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
sure? it may be true for someone use direct flash with do close up on the babies face.

try to do a search, see what can you find.

Hey, it's up to you to believe it or not. But I'd rather not risk other ppl's kids and also not to irritate them... try flashing at a kid and see if they'd be irritated?

Well, I won't take the risks....:)

Also, when taking info from the net, it is very very important to know the credibility of the sites, I am not sure about these 2. Just like doing research, not information from all websites will be honour, simply becos web is not a controlled environment, every Tom, Dick and Harry can start a seemly professional website and call themselves some title.....This is just my view on internet info.

Regarding flash on baby's eye....it really up to individual. But I won't even if the Pediatrician told me that its ok.:bsmilie:

yes, is up to you.

FYI, I shoot for living, kids and babies (a few days old) also shoot very often, must know what is fine and what is not.

yes, is up to you.

FYI, I shoot for living, kids and babies (a few days old) also shoot very often, must know what is fine and what is not.

So mebbe you can research more and let us know. I looked thru the net too... and read 1 of the site you mentioned, link 1 IIRC...

heres

link 3

link 4 from HP

I still can't be sure as there's no definite studies on this, but who'd want to volunteer their newborns for such a study?? :dunno:

So mebbe you can research more and let us know. I looked thru the net too... and read 1 of the site you mentioned, link 1 IIRC...

heres

link 3

link 4 from HP

I still can't be sure as there's no definite studies on this, but who'd want to volunteer their newborns for such a study?? :dunno:
the professional been shooting with flash all day long, day after day, if flash is so harmful, most photographers should be blind after a few years, only long expose to strong light will harm human eyes.
shooting baby can use flash, but not pointing the flash direct to them, or to shoot at f22, if the room is bright enough, the flash won't be very irritating to them.

Recommend not to use flash too freq. Best is capture in ambient lighting for baby candid. Recommend to use a 35mm f2.

Thanks for all the congrats messages!!

Both the twins were borned premature, so I have to be a little bit more careful with the lights. Their eye checks are dues soon and these retinal growth for premature babies are a common problem, so I would prefer to keep the lights out. Maybe when they are older, then I will flash them like nobody business..............hehehehe..........

Stay cool bro........ thanks for all advice and concerns.......... really appreciate it......

Yah, I like ambient lighting....and 35mm is good for the small sized baby...but more Ex, so I keep to 50mm:bsmilie:

Recommend not to use flash too freq. Best is capture in ambient lighting for baby candid. Recommend to use a 35mm f2.

You've gotta try using a 85mm lens if you have the chance... I simply love using that lens, the perspective and depth-of-field. I find myself using the 85mm much more than the 50mm or 60mm for protraits and children. I believe it'll work great with babies.

Another lens that you may want try is the Tamron 90mm. You can be very creative with macro lenses on your babies. ;)... small hands, small feet... great subjects for macro lenses... :)

BC

Read from somewhere (think it was my child psychology text book many moons ago) that a newborn vision is not fully developed at birth. A newborn can only see in black and white in the first few weeks, which is also the reason why it is thought that the mummy's nipples darkened and bigger so that the baby can locate (wonders of mother nature).

so, in this context, i will not subject the kid to any external source that might impede the development.

congrat on the twins. my wife and i were just reminising about our daughter when she was learning how to walk about 6 years ago. we want to have another kid but god has his thoughts i guess.

if u can, don;t just take still photos, take video shots too.

Congrats smalltake on your twins. If I knew what a joy having children was, I would have started a lot earlier ;)
I am not using any flash/speed lights on my child. My cousin has a baby who is totally afraid of any camera flashes now. So I'm not taking the chances.Besides, with low noise high ISO and a 1.4/1.8 lens, it is possible to get pretty good exposures with day light. This shot is taken with available light. You can see the windows in her eyes :)

original.jpg

more here : http://www.pbase.com/seankyh/chloe

PS: hope you don't mind me posting photo here..

oohh.. one more thing to add. 50mm is a good range. Infact I'm now considering 35. But not 85. The reason is proximity to your child. My baby is able to sit upright now but not all the time. I have to be close to her in case she falls. Can never do that with a 85mm. I would be too far to reach her in time.

Bro smalltake, may I know how many weeks premature are your twins? Kay-poh a bit. :)

Borned at 31 wks + 2 days....... 1 weigh at 1310gms and the younger one at 1430gm.......

Now both progressing well, the older one at 1605gms, and the younger at 1845gms... should expect the younger one out by end of this week. If all progresses well, keeping our fingers crossed................

Your baby is wonder...... beatifully done bro!!! Yeah, 85mm is too long for me too, I still prefer the 50mm which sometimes already having abit of problem finding the space. Please feel free to post more pics of your cute cute baby leh............... :thumbsup:

Hey, it's up to you to believe it or not. But I'd rather not risk other ppl's kids and also not to irritate them... try flashing at a kid and see if they'd be irritated?

How about the bouncing the flash with a bounce card?

Borned at 31 wks + 2 days....... 1 weigh at 1310gms and the younger one at 1430gm.......

Now both progressing well, the older one at 1605gms, and the younger at 1845gms... should expect the younger one out by end of this week. If all progresses well, keeping our fingers crossed................
Ah! Thanks for sharing smalltake. Wishing you and your twins all the best! :thumbsup:

How about the bouncing the flash with a bounce card?

I tried that for toddlers... 1 yr and above. IT can work, but there's still a larget amount of light from the flash card ( I was using a JusBounce card, rather big)

I tried using a Lightspehere similar device and the cute thing was that the kids are largely enticed by the weird round thing on top of the flash...

Both works, but I still won't dare to try it on younger kids.

I tried that for toddlers... 1 yr and above. IT can work, but there's still a larget amount of light from the flash card ( I was using a JusBounce card, rather big)

I tried using a Lightspehere similar device and the cute thing was that the kids are largely enticed by the weird round thing on top of the flash...

Both works, but I still won't dare to try it on younger kids.

Noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.