Lens for shooting aeroplanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrotty

Apr 9, 2009
Hey all. i'm new in photography. juz wondering wat type of lens should i get. i'm using a nikon
D60

is it better to get nikkor lenses or 3rd party lenses? wat is the recommended range?

is it better to get nikkor lenses or 3rd party lenses? wat is the recommended range?

1. Read reviews. Do some research on your own.
2. Depends how close to the runway you can get.

Well,

if price isn't a problem Nikkor 70-300mm will do good. Otherwise a similar sigma lense will suffice.

Cowz.

to take a picture or to make it go down?
LOL sorry cannot resisted the joke.

any lens can shoot planes wor...

just a matter of small or big nia :bsmilie:

Planning to go Changi Beach tmr to shoot and planes landing/taking off. Using just 70-300.

look for those SPL lenses.

SPL = Shoot Plane Lens..

dude, there is no exact lens to use to shoot planes. and even if you can shoot, why you need a very powerful lens to shoot the underside of an aeroplane...?

if its just takeoffs and landings your after something simple within the 100-200 range should be aitte...
but like the dude above me said.. not much point in shooting the belly of an aeroplane...
its like getting a hot model specifically to shoot toenails hahah :p

To: TS, the recommanded focal length based on mine experience are...

Viewing gallery at terminal 1, 18mm (wide angle view of the tarmac) to 300mm (for aircrafts at the remote parking stands).

Runway 20R/C (Changi beach), 50mm - 150mm or 150mm - 250mm (depanding on the carpark loaction).

Runway 02L/C (Changi business park), same as runway 20R/C.

Actually if i want to shoot planes very easy. But the problem is the place i'm working doesn't allow cameras in and also don't get caught if u're pointing your phone camera at the planes too. :sweat:

Ok Tks guys!!!

you need this :D

Yes I like this :thumbsup::bsmilie:

well personally when i take planes, my Zuiko 70-300mm is used only when i want to capture shots after rotation(lift off) or when the plane is approaching from far. Otherwise, no need to zoom so far bah? Unless you wanna see the pilot o_O?

Cowz.

you need this :D

OMG you took my photo (brown stripes tee). LOL :bsmilie:
That was me with 90-250mm Olympus, during olympus outing at airshow.
It was too heavy for me without any support (handheld) I could not take a focus shot due to handshake but there are 2 guys who has the strenght and least one of them has speed to match and can take shots of the jets. we saw the photo and say: wahlao I can see the pilot.

see the photo: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353972&highlight=airshow

Last edited:
OMG you took my photo (brown stripes tee). LOL :bsmilie:
That was me with 90-250mm Olympus, during olympus outing at airshow.
It was too heavy for me without any support (handheld) I could not take a focus shot due to handshake but there are 2 guys who has the strenght and least one of them has speed to match and can take shots of the jets. we saw the photo and say: wahlao I can see the pilot.

see the photo: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353972&highlight=airshow

Haha,

that brings the phrase "up close and personal" to a new level isn't it :D

Cowz.

Status
Not open for further replies.