Lens for protrait shots on a D3100

Guapo

Aug 1, 2007
Hey guys.

Just wondering what is ur recommendation for a beginner lens for taking portrait shots.
Or is the kit lens good enough ?

And will the lens be good enough for day to day shots ?

Thanks.

kit lens is very capable....just play around with it 1st.

I bought the 35mm 1.8 DX for portrait too on my 3100. Much better results than kit lens and it's cheap. But still not gd enuff ...faces look fatter for some reason. So I got the same question...should I get

- Nikon 50mm 1.4G ( wh gives me abt 85mm on FX scale)
- Nikon 85mm 1.4 ( gives me 135mm but angle seems too narrow)
- other brands like Sigma?

What is the best focus length on a DX for portraits ? I think tt my question

kit lens is very capable....just play around with it 1st.

So u mean i can just put it on P mode and shoot away ?

Noob cuz this is my first DSLR.
Thanks for all replies.

I bought the 35mm 1.8 DX for portrait too on my 3100. Much better results than kit lens and it's cheap. But still not gd enuff ...faces look fatter for some reason. So I got the same question...should I get

Hmmmm.... :bigeyes:
I'm totally lost.....

leslee64 said:

Please note that the 50/1.4g is a $800 lens and 85/1.4g costs around $2.5k.

You might want to consider a better camera body like the d90 around $1k or d7000 which cost around $1.6k and you can use AFD lenses like 50/1.8 ($190) and 85/1.8 ($600) or 50/1.4D ($500) and 85/1.4D ($1.5).

Please note that the 50/1.4g is a $800 lens and 85/1.4g costs around $2.5k.

You might want to consider a better camera body like the d90 around $1k or d7000 which cost around $1.6k and you can use AFD lenses like 50/1.8 ($190) and 85/1.8 ($600) or 50/1.4D ($500) and 85/1.4D ($1.5).

What if one wants to make the best out of what he/she has currently instead of buying a new body ?
I'm mean it's quite a big investment.
At least for me.

Guapo said:
What if one wants to make the best out of what he/she has currently instead of buying a new body ?
I'm mean it's quite a big investment.
At least for me.

35/1.8, 50/1.4g is your best bet.

For folks on an even ighter budget, consider using Manual focus and use the 50/1.8.

50/1.8
U mean this ?
http://ddelectronics.com.sg/products/AF-NIKKOR-50mm-f{47}1.8D.html#

This is not auto focus ?
I thought AF means auto-focus.

For D3100 you can't do auto focus with AF lens. There is no motor in camera body for auto focus if your camera model below D90. So you need to look for AF-S (auto focus silent wave motor) lens, this AF-S lens have motor built in for auto focus.

For D3100 you can't do auto focus with AF lens. There is no motor in camera body for auto focus if your camera model below D90. So you need to look for AF-S (auto focus silent wave motor) lens, this AF-S lens have motor built in for auto focus.

So if i'm intending to get lenses for my D3100, I must purchase lenses with AF-S only if I need Auto-focus.
I get it now.
Thanks.

On the bright side, the 1.4 G lens stated by bros here are FX lens. In case in the future when you might change to a full frame body, you had already paid your due fees for those great portrait lens. Lens goes a long way unlike camera body...

On the bright side, the 1.4 G lens stated by bros here are FX lens. In case in the future when you might change to a full frame body, you had already paid your due fees for those great portrait lens. Lens goes a long way unlike camera body...

That's about the cost of my D3100..... *GULP*
This is not a cheap hobby.

That's about the cost of my D3100..... *GULP*
This is not a cheap hobby.

By right, your camera body should be your least investment into the hobby 70% of the time. Unless you are talking about pro bodies, majority of the lens out there are more expensive than a D3100 body...
In fact, this should be the way. Because lens don't change that often while camera body gets renew every year or few years depends on brand (Yes, I'm looking at u Canon!) You wouldn't want to upgrade your most expensive item that often don't you?

Being that, I'm also not recommending upgrade whenever there is. Just make the best of your current setup until you used to its limits.

I'm wondering, for newbie, may be can get the 55-200mm lens for portrait, can use for other purpose too.

The lens is not expensive and can isolate the subject for portrait shots.

That's possible under bright daylight. But to achieve the same bokeh impact, i think you might need to shoot at long focal length. And the effect is still not as good as prime.

Me nooby too :p Just that I had tried both before.

What is it that u are not getting in ur kit lens that made u wanna buy another lens? If it is the bokeh, and u are on budget, just get the 50/1.8 and learn how to manual focus.

Portraits are not about bokeh and it never was. Its more about the composition, light, and message (along with other things).

What is it that u are not getting in ur kit lens that made u wanna buy another lens? If it is the bokeh, and u are on budget, just get the 50/1.8 and learn how to manual focus.

Portraits are not about bokeh and it never was. Its more about the composition, light, and message (along with other things).

Guapo, read this post, very good advice.

So u mean i can just put it on P mode and shoot away ?

Noob cuz this is my first DSLR.
Thanks for all replies.

any mode will do. for a start try auto mode 1st, see how the camera sets. then slowly move into other semi auto/manual mode.

i seriously think u don't need to get any lens for now. shoot with ur kit lens 1st, you'll know what's the limitations of this lens and which lens to buy once you have 'developed' ur shooting preference.