Lens for protrait shots on a D3100

Guapo said:
I guess so.
Where is the best place to get it cheap ? No grey sets pls.

Thanks.

hi guapo,

i'm also looking for one but the stores i inquired all seem to have no stocks. i also inquired at artworkfoto which sells grey sets and they quoted $350. geez, this must be an effect of the japan disaster.

I guess so.
Where is the best place to get it cheap ? No grey sets pls.

Thanks.

John 3:16
or browse through the recommended shops further down the forum ...

makolit said:
John 3:16
or browse through the recommended shops further down the forum ...

OT: M, im going to buy the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 soon. Hope i can join you on your photoshoot when my schedule permits...

Hey guys.

Just wondering what is ur recommendation for a beginner lens for taking portrait shots.
Or is the kit lens good enough ?

And will the lens be good enough for day to day shots ?

Thanks.

Hi guapo. Instead of considering lenses, why not consider flash guns and lighting kits? Lights are important for portraitures, especially indoors. Also consider a reflector as well for outdoor shoots. With the price of an AF-S 35mm f1.8, you can get a decent lighting kit that includes 1 umbrella kit, 1 softbox kit and reflectors. Or a flash gun, maybe SB-600 new or SB-700 for alittle more top up. The 18-55mm is a great lens, it is sharp and it gives you nice bokeh.

Check this out, i have made a thread that you can capture stunning photos with a kit lens, the 18-55mm.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/878197-How-shallow-does-the-DOF-of-the-18-55mm-produce

Last edited:
Hi guapo. Instead of considering lenses, why not consider flash guns and lighting kits? Lights are important for portraitures, especially indoors. Also consider a reflector as well for outdoor shoots. With the price of an AF-S 35mm f1.8, you can get a decent lighting kit that includes 1 umbrella kit, 1 softbox kit and reflectors. Or a flash gun, maybe SB-600 new or SB-700 for alittle more top up. The 18-55mm is a great lens, it is sharp and it gives you nice bokeh.

Check this out, i have made a thread that you can capture stunning photos with a kit lens, the 18-55mm.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/878197-How-shallow-does-the-DOF-of-the-18-55mm-produce

Thanks for ur reply.
I will look into ur advice as well.

Cheers !

I would recommend the 50 1.8, but can't af on your camera
35 1.8 has alot of distortion for a prime. I.E. faces look fatter and weirder. not good.
Play around with kit lens and lighting, set kit lens to around +-40mm for less distortion.
Better to get flash and flash kit instead.

gepalex said:
35 1.8 has alot of distortion for a prime. I.E. faces look fatter and weirder. not good.
Play around with kit lens and lighting, set kit lens to around +-40mm for less distortion.

TS has a DX body so 35 1.8 should give a "normal" 50mm perspective, right?

Thanks.
What diff can a flash make to the pictures ?

Can show examples ?

Light creates shadow on your subject's face which there are various techniques to create such effects. In studio photography, a flash or strobe is a must.
You can google for portrait lighting techniques for more info.

TS has a DX body so 35 1.8 should give a "normal" 50mm perspective, right?

Good question i also wondering if DX Body using AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G is 35mm or 50mm as we know AF-S 50mm f/1.4G gives 75mm on a DX Body.

Any experts care to help?

Good question i also wondering if DX Body using AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G is 35mm or 50mm as we know AF-S 50mm f/1.4G gives 75mm on a DX Body.

Any experts care to help?
All DX lenses are still subjected to the 1.5x crop factor of the DX body so the 35mm f1.8 is actually 52.5mm in reality :)

All DX lenses are still subjected to the 1.5x crop factor of the DX body so the 35mm f1.8 is actually 52.5mm in reality :)

thanks, at one point i thought of getting a DX35mm as i believed DX35mm means no crop factor since it is DX range lens.

So in another words, any lens when used on DX Body will have 1.5x crop factor, correct?

Yes any lens used on a DX body will be subjected to the 1.5x crop factor. All lenses (any brand) state the focal length of the lens in the 35mm equivalent so to find out how much you're getting on your camera, just x1.5 to the number :)

Yes any lens used on a DX body will be subjected to the 1.5x crop factor. All lenses (any brand) state the focal length of the lens in the 35mm equivalent so to find out how much you're getting on your camera, just x1.5 to the number :)

So in short, 50mm when used in DX body is actual 75mm so can i said it is consider as Protrait lens since it is near to 85mm and if would to use a 85mm lens on DX body means 127.5mm too narrow???

Yes 50mm=75mm on DX. What is narrow or not depends on you and your style of shooting. For me a 50mm lens already feels too narrow on my DX camera. The 35mm suits me better :). If you got a chance to try your friend's lenses do go ahead to get a feel of what you really want or you can go down to the Nikon showroom to try out the different lenses.

So in short, 50mm when used in DX body is actual 75mm so can i said it is consider as Protrait lens since it is near to 85mm and if would to use a 85mm lens on DX body means 127.5mm too narrow???

yes 85mm on DX is very narrow. even 50mm on DX might be tight for indoor portrait, thats why many consider 35mm instead.

do note that even 50mm on DX is like 75mm on FX, it will not have the same compression on 75mm on FX.

Thanks for the advice. Guess i settle with 35mm f/1.8g and 50mm f/1.4g to solve the problems since one can take general outdoorwalkabout/Protrait and another is indoor useage.

But to solve this problem, would getting a 17-55mm f/2.8g be the solution? I mean would the result but better and Convenient?

Thanks for the advice. Guess i settle with 35mm f/1.8g and 50mm f/1.4g to solve the problems since one can take general outdoorwalkabout/Protrait and another is indoor useage.

But to solve this problem, would getting a 17-55mm f/2.8g be the solution? I mean would the result but better and Convenient?

Convenient definitely, but you will lose the large aperture and more expensive. give and take, you will have to decide for yourself which is more important to you.

well can go for the f/1.8G.