Lens for Product Shoot (aka Camera System)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEXiao

Deregistered
Feb 3, 2006
AMK
Hi need some advise

What would be a suitable lens to do product shoot.... I am doing up a product manual which need to have pictures and also a step by step guide using photos to show how you fix the items.... e.g you buy a Ikea Cabinet, you need to DIY, so need some kind of instructions... mine is little more complex.....

Note that I don't need/cannot afford those super duper L lens or all very ex type..... a reasonable price lens which can get the job done will do....

Also, I am actually looking at setting up a camera system (again)... I used to have the Canon 300D with some lens, but alas, long story, should not mention here....... so looking into Camera System and lens (got bitten by bugs again)....

Other than the above, I do mostly macro (flowers, insects), wide angle(for scenery/building), Potrait (for my wife and the coming BB)... and looking at the usual suspect for Camera
1. Nikon D50
2. KM 5D (I know they kena buy over by Sony, so might have problwm with their lens??)
3. Okay why no Canon... because firstly, they got the most ex body, secondly, did not really "click" well with Canon..... used to have a manual Nikon SLR, think I prefer the "feel" I guess....

Any good remmonendation/advise is very much appreciated..... Like above, $$ no enough, not top of the line recommendation will be greatly helply. :)

For those 1 page many pictures kind... not printing to A4 size full pic... any camera, even a P&S is good enuff, just the range is important.

For eg, if u have a small object lets say palm size, then u only have a space of 1 metre to shoot from, then a 50mm would be appropriate (with 1.5crop also can...)

then if u have something as big as a fridge, then a wide angle would surface, and u might need a longer distance to avoid distortion.

and if u have something microscopic, then u might need a 100mm macro lens.

and the best like i say, a P&S would do with a range of 24-200mm (hopefully) then with macro function... no need to think liao, except for lighting... in tis type of shoot, most impt is not the camera, its the lighting... and color still ok, if b&w, god bless u... ;p

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
For those 1 page many pictures kind... not printing to A4 size full pic... any camera, even a P&S is good enuff, just the range is important.

For eg, if u have a small object lets say palm size, then u only have a space of 1 metre to shoot from, then a 50mm would be appropriate (with 1.5crop also can...)

then if u have something as big as a fridge, then a wide angle would surface, and u might need a longer distance to avoid distortion.

and if u have something microscopic, then u might need a 100mm macro lens.

and the best like i say, a P&S would do with a range of 24-200mm (hopefully) then with macro function... no need to think liao, except for lighting... in tis type of shoot, most impt is not the camera, its the lighting... and color still ok, if b&w, god bless u... ;p

Thank bro, if a P & S can do the job, so much the better... easy on the pocket also.... :) .... but tons of P & S to choose from, got to look at everyone carefully.... any suggestions? ;)

If u want u still can buy the Canon Powershot Pro 1 with L lens built-in...tried this cam before and it's VERY GD! New one for slightly over $1K. The Pro 1 has a 7.1X optical zoom from 28-200mm.

The other is the Powershot S2 IS with built-in image stabiliser and 12X zoom from 36-432mm. New one for $700+.

Snoweagle said:
If u want u still can buy the Canon Powershot Pro 1 with L lens built-in...tried this cam before and it's VERY GD! New one for slightly over $1K. The Pro 1 has a 7.1X optical zoom from 28-200mm.

The other is the Powershot S2 IS with built-in image stabiliser and 12X zoom from 36-432mm. New one for $700+.

Thank bro, will check them out....

At first don't believe, but the dark forces has "shutter" the bugs to bite me again and again..... I have resisted till now.... don't kow how long I can tahan........ now is a matter how deep I follow the dark forces............. P & S or a DSLR...... :dunno:

SEXiao said:

At first don't believe, but the dark forces has "shutter" the bugs to bite me again and again..... I have resisted till now.... don't kow how long I can tahan........ now is a matter how deep I follow the dark forces............. P & S or a DSLR...... :dunno:

A PnS is gd if you want to carry light and take simple pics of friends or family. A DSLR is gd if you want more control and feel to your pics. Do take note that DSLR's investments are a lot more than a PnS so buy only what u need.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i waiting for espn to come do his BUY BUY BUY trick on SEXiao...

haaaa, no need... I already saw his MTL, BBB all over the thread already.... :bsmilie:

I am just finding out more about lens.... body is easy to decide, but lens are tougher...

There're many lens out there to suit different needs. For PnS and prosumer cams, there's no option to choose lens. :bsmilie:

I use a Tamron 24-135 SP with my Canon body. I find the lens a good all rounder and also quite affordable. It has a decent macro capability as well as a very usable zoom length. It is quite sharp throughout its entire length. AF is a bit slow and loud but I use MF when doing product shots. Couple it with an extension tube, you can get really really nice macro closeups. Of course you need good lighting too, a simple strobe setup like the Eastgear one costing under $500 can do wonders too. HEre are some examples of my past images...

Leica M7
CV Bessa R2a
Leica MP
Leica M4-P

Terence said:
I use a Tamron 24-135 SP with my Canon body. I find the lens a good all rounder and also quite affordable. It has a decent macro capability as well as a very usable zoom length. It is quite sharp throughout its entire length. AF is a bit slow and loud but I use MF when doing product shots. Couple it with an extension tube, you can get really really nice macro closeups. Of course you need good lighting too, a simple strobe setup like the Eastgear one costing under $500 can do wonders too. HEre are some examples of my past images...

Leica M7
CV Bessa R2a
Leica MP
Leica M4-P

I also use a Tamron lens (28-300 XR) with my Canon body, even though i've a Canon 50mm with +4 close up filter for sharp macro shots.

SEXiao said:

Main thing is, don't buy a P&S and upgrade again in a few months.
Not economically viable.

Don't buy a DSLR and neglect to understand its use too..

I've checked out the Pro 1 with a friend who wanted a high-end P&S...
For a P&S, it is really a good cam with good quality pictures.

However, if you are a person who loves taking candid pictures, it might not be exactly useful..
reason is a 'bug' i sort of found while using it..
the focusing hangs the screen for 1/2 second to 1 sec..

That means i can't even follow a walking person's line of path accurately.. as the screen hung at the point when u clicked the shutter..

The salesperson assured me that the firmware was already upgraded.. maybe it was a lemon but 2 sets in different stores displayed the same problem.. so think about that when or if you want to get the Pro 1 yeah?

Just my 2 cents

FirstDecember said:
Main thing is, don't buy a P&S and upgrade again in a few months.
Not economically viable.

Don't buy a DSLR and neglect to understand its use too..

I've checked out the Pro 1 with a friend who wanted a high-end P&S...
For a P&S, it is really a good cam with good quality pictures.

However, if you are a person who loves taking candid pictures, it might not be exactly useful..
reason is a 'bug' i sort of found while using it..
the focusing hangs the screen for 1/2 second to 1 sec..

That means i can't even follow a walking person's line of path accurately.. as the screen hung at the point when u clicked the shutter..

The salesperson assured me that the firmware was already upgraded.. maybe it was a lemon but 2 sets in different stores displayed the same problem.. so think about that when or if you want to get the Pro 1 yeah?

Just my 2 cents

Thank bro for the sound advise..... now actually got more headache because need to get a P & S for my wife and I am opting for a DSLR.... arrrrr..... $$ not enough..... will explain in Nikon thread because likely I am opting for the Nikon System...

Status
Not open for further replies.