Lens for Nikon D5000

adidasyeo

Sep 17, 2009
Hi everyone!

i am planning to get a cheap and good special purpose lens (bokeh effect)
Pls enlight me on which is suitable for Nikon D5000! Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Hmm getting background blur is not exactly a special purpose. Read up on aperture and you will know. The cheapest you can get is probably the 50mm f1.8 but you can't AF on it.

Hi everyone!

It's not an effect. It's called depth of field. Check this website out to understand more about it. http://www.youngimaging.com/Article-UnderstandingDepthOfField.asp

Oh for a D5000, getting the DX 35mm f/1.8 will do. It depends which length you're comfortable with. However, if you can wait for awhile longer, get the latest AF-S 50mm f/1.8. (it's able to autofocus on your camera!)
http://nikonrumors.com/2011/04/13/nikkor-af-s-50mm-f1-8g-website-now-removed-from-nikon-imaging.aspx

Hi everyone!

1. There is no such thing as "bokeh effect".
2. If you want to achieve subject isolation via background blur, any lens can do this, even a 500mm reflex lens.
3. There is no "special purpose" lens, only n00b photographers who get conned by the shopowners into buying lenses because of their lack of knowledge.

adidasyeo said:
Hi everyone!

Hi TS,
Look for Nikkor AF 105mm f/2D DC & Nikkor AF 135mm f/2D DC. Maybe this is what you looking for. They are awesome. Check it out.

Last edited:
Hi TS,
Look for Nikkor AF 105mm f/2D DC & Nikkor AF 135mm f/2D DC. Maybe this is what you looking for. They are awesome. Check it out.

wrong post.....

Last edited:
Hi TS,

That's not cheap wor.
Also unable to auto focus on a D5000.

the depth of field is not just depend solely aperture, focal length comes into the play. I suggest you to read up on how focal length and aperture affect the depth of field.

Well

"BOKEH" Most of the time depends on your settings and most of the time How far are you from the subject the closer the better

And your Focusing

55-200 - Telephoto for you as it will auto focus and light enough for D5000
Or
70-300 - LOL 100-300+ range on DX

1. There is no such thing as "bokeh effect".
2. If you want to achieve subject isolation via background blur, any lens can do this, even a 500mm reflex lens.
3. There is no "special purpose" lens, only n00b photographers who get conned by the shopowners into buying lenses because of their lack of knowledge.

The only thing i think tt might qualify as special effect is the fisheye.. But den again, it's probably not..

Prince Photogenic said:
The only thing i think tt might qualify as special effect is the fisheye.. But den again, it's probably not..

Well there are the tilt-shift lenses as well but special effect or not, I'm not sure

Well

"BOKEH" Most of the time depends on your settings and most of the time How far are you from the subject the closer the better

Wrong. You're thinking depth of field. Bokeh is purely a characteristic of a lens. It's the *quality* of out of focus blur, NOT the amount of blur.

Funny... Why no one mentioned 35mm f1.8?

normal field of view and decently fast for low-light situations... but bokeh? Well, DOF is quite deep once you go beyond 3m focusing, so not much blur area to be discussing bokeh... :)

wrong post.....

Why wrong post?

That's not cheap wor.
Also unable to auto focus on a D5000.

Oic, wrong post because of the above. lol
Cheap or not is neither for you nor me to decide. In this case, only TS can decide.

Just because it cannot autofocus on a D5000 doesn't mean that it can't take nice bokeh pictures with it.
Even if Autofocus is a must for TS, these two pieces of glass is still a good reference for him.

Look up for Equipment Discussions on Nikon, Thread Title "We love our manual focus Nikkor Lenses" started by Bro COBALT.
You will be surprise to find so many happy manual focus user out there.

both lenses are unable to AF on the D5000

Ditto

Last edited:
Why wrong post?

Cheap or not is neither for you nor me to decide. In this case, only TS can decide.

Just because it cannot autofocus on a D5000 doesn't mean that it can't take nice bokeh pictures with it.
Even if Autofocus is a must for TS, these two pieces of glass is still a good reference for him.

Look up for Equipment Discussions on Nikon, Thread Title "We love our manual focus Nikkor Lenses" started by Bro COBALT.

Ditto

I never said it cannot take nice pics with bogeh mah.
All i said it cannt autofocus with TS D5000.

I never said it cannot take nice pics with bogeh mah.
All i said it cannt autofocus with TS D5000.

Note that you can't take a "pic with bokeh". :p

Why wrong post?

Ditto

If thats the case, might as well look for older AiS lenses, cheaper and easier to MF on them, as they are designed specifically for MF.

If thats the case, might as well look for older AiS lenses, cheaper and easier to MF on them, as they are designed specifically for MF.

Can the older Ais lenses got the ability to make-out-focus areas appear softer by strategically introducing spherical aberration to just the defocused areas?
They can't, that is why they are not "special".

What make you think that AiS lenses are more easier to MF?
Hmm, what I can think of is the focusing ring. The two lenses I've mentioned built with a generously broad manualfocusing ring, so I don't see any manualfocusing lose-out to AiS lenses.
Furthermore, if TS upgrade to a Camera Body with built-in autofocus motor in the future. He got a choice for Auto or Manual focusing, doesn't it better?

Last edited: