Lens for Night Time shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogigwapo

Sep 12, 2008
Hi. Newbie here in photography. Just want to know what lens I need to use for night time or Indoor shoot (low lighting?). Am using Canon EOS 400D Kit II + 50mm f/1.8. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx a lot.

For people, 50mm @ f/1.8 + flash. For landscapes, any lens + tripod.

thnx for quick reply. Acutally looking for which lens i use for my son's graduation day (K2), as he is included in the stage performance. It will be held in one of a auditorium. Thnx again.

Since you already have the 50mm 1.8 have you tried the range of it? Like where you are sitting, are you able to reach him in view in the stage performance? Try the range, but i think it might not be sufficient, if it does not, no harm renting a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8. It should have more than ample reach for you. Visit the auditorium for recce, try the ISO combination on your 50mm 1.8 at f2.8. See if it works, if you find that you are not willing to accept grainy pics, rent a flash as well. I reckon a 430EX should be sufficient.

Last edited:
thnx for your reply Nigel84. May I know where can I rent the lens u said? Is it expensive or not?

thnx for quick reply. Acutally looking for which lens i use for my son's graduation day (K2), as he is included in the stage performance. It will be held in one of a auditorium. Thnx again.

is this the one for this saturday at the singapore polytechnic convention centre? if it is, then I guess I'll be seeing you there to as my son is also on k2 and is part of the stage performance as well.

as they have mentioned, your f1.8 lens is suitable for low light indoor photography, but the 50mm might not be suitable so you might want to rent a zoom lens for it as well.

is this the one for this saturday at the singapore polytechnic convention centre? if it is, then I guess I'll be seeing you there to as my son is also on k2 and is part of the stage performance as well.

as they have mentioned, your f1.8 lens is suitable for low light indoor photography, but the 50mm might not be suitable so you might want to rent a zoom lens for it as well.

thnx for the reply. My son's graduation will be next month, but am preparing myself also to take the opportunity to take photo of him doin some performance on stage with many people watchin him (hope he'll be ok. hehehe).

I am not sure if a flash is advisable during the performance. I second the suggestion of renting, why not go for the zoom lens with the widest apperature avaliable 70-200 f2.8 IS?

Rent a 5D with it if you want a sure bet of performance in low light.

is a kindergarten graduation cum concert, parents will flood at the front of stage with all sorts of cameras, compact, handphone, videocam when their child is on the stage.

just get a camera with a lens you are very familiar with, plus a powerful flash will do. cause beside frighting with many other parents for better position to shoot, you kid may not always stay at the front roll, and also dancing, moving at the same time, so you have to shoot very fast, no time for you to slowly compose, think of what setting to use. shoot with available light? you can forget about it, unless you are very good at this.

don't forget to lower yourself when you are not shooting, so other parents can enjoy the shows as well.

Hope this help.

usually the kindergarden will have videographer taking the whole event and selling the VCD, can consider buying the VCD instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.