Lens for night events

JJLoke

Aug 2, 2009
Hi guys, what lens do u recommend for night events, like concerts, hip hop dances etc.

I know prime lens is the way to go.

50mm 1.8
50mm 1.4

Im favouring the 50mm 1.4 but it will cost alot more than the 1.8, but will it cut it or worth the investment ?

Im owning a 450D, tamron 18-200 and a nissin 866 flash

what other focal lens do u use the most ?

depending on what kind of events - different events/venues have different setups, thus requring different focal length.

the 50mm 1.4 will definately be better in low light situation. the 50 1.8 is slow in focusing which would be bad for event and the focus hunts alot in low light situations.

it really depends on how close you can get, and what kinda of shots... 50mm 1.8 is nice, but for low light the focus can't be fast enough or 100%, need to use manual focusing..

the 50 1.4 is nice, but alot of problems with the USM...

i would suggest the 85mm 1.8.. good for low light.. then for the type of events you don't need to be too near still can catch some nice close ups..

Hi guys, what lens do u recommend for night events, like concerts, hip hop dances etc.

50mm 1.8
50mm 1.4

If you can get closer (like on stage).....

You might need a longer than 200m with at least a f2.8 and a camera with good / high ISO peformance certainly helps.

i have been invited as a photographer by a friend to a national hip hop dance at fort canning park on wednesday, 7pm to 1am.

i have flash, 200mm zoom lens, and i know i will suffer alot in the low light with my current lens if not for flash.

sigma 30mm 1.4 has been in my mind for over a year too, but it is pretty ex

what is the breakdown frequency of the 50mm 1.4 USM motor ?

Last edited:

50mm 1.8
50mm 1.4

Im favouring the 50mm 1.4 but it will cost alot more than the 1.8, but will it cut it or worth the investment ?

Might I ask if you are covering the event or taking photos for your own keeping?

I own the 450D too. Unfortunately, the ISO performance is disappointing. Since you are on a cropped body, I will recommend a 24mm/35mm or something wider if you are doing event coverage, accompanied by a fast lens like the 50mm f1.4 or 85mm. Actually i would say longer range is always good for events, but given the low ISO on our camera, keeping shutter speed reasonable is often a challenge so i usually shoot wide to avoid handshake and crop later (if image size is not tt big an issue).

I own the 50mm f1.8 and it hunts for focus very slowly given insufficient lighting so I don't find it that useful under extremely dark conditions, but the flash should help ALOT.

Hope this helps you :)

i have been invited as a phorographer by a friend to a national hip hop dance at fort canning park on wednesday, 7pm to 1am.

i have flash, 200mm zoom lens, and i know i will suffer alot in the low light with my current lens.

sigma 30mm 1.4 has been in my mind for over a year too, but it i pretty ex

afew people i know have sent their 50 1.4 for servicing like 3-4 times...

you will need something with a longer focal length... 30mm for concerts or dance performances is not going to work...

it will mean your shots are all wide shots.. and if you wanna focus on whats happening on the stage you will need to go right infront of the dancer's face~!!

if you get an 85 you will be able to take up close shots without going too close.. but then you will have to sacrifice the wide shots.. unless you get a zoom lens with a focal length range that allows you to get both type of shots.. 24-70 f 2.8 is good... or 17-55 2.8...

you don't have to buy the lens, since you only wanna use it for the event.. you can just rent.. much better then spendin all that $$... go marketplace, commercial services, canon photography rental...

i have been invited as a photographer by a friend to a national hip hop dance at fort canning park on wednesday, 7pm to 1am.

i have flash, 200mm zoom lens, and i know i will suffer alot in the low light with my current lens if not for flash.

sigma 30mm 1.4 has been in my mind for over a year too, but it is pretty ex

If you intend to use flash, you will have limited range to work from due to the flash range limitations. You might not be able to utilize a telephoto if you intend to use flash?

If you have the spare cash, might i recommend renting a body with good ISO performance as it will definitely be easier for you to work with any lens?

great input. thanks guys.

i hope to borrow a 30mm 1.4 from my friend, prays he has it around. on the actual day will give it a try.

the photos will be given away as im getting paid, therefore thinking to use the paid money to invest in a low light lens

it depends on stage lighting and where you are shooting from.

your 18-200 + high iso can work for bright stage.

example below are very low light or very harsh light but just timing for the stage lights. need to see the stage light movement pattern and let the picture come together.

36672_412239098165_835728165_4411326_320642_n.jpg

36672_412239088165_835728165_4411324_7421164_n.jpg

34201_412583808165_835728165_4419509_5708061_n.jpg

35055_412584328165_835728165_4419533_3860511_n.jpg

Once you know what is your favourite/most useful focal length...get the lens best suited depending on budget for that range.

For events where flash is allowed...even kit lens can surprising if you know what you are doing with the flash.

Last edited:

50mm 1.8
50mm 1.4

I would think that prime may be very strictive unless you already know where you are seated in the concert. Get a zoom with f/2.8 may be better suited. And of course, better gear cost more.

50mm 1.8
50mm 1.4

If you are not in the first row, I really suggest you get the 70-200/2.8L IS

And many events forbids the use of flash. But if flash is allowed, get the biggest flash you can afford and if you are far away, fit the flash with "Better Beamer". You can read about better beamer here. Just make sure you don't flash too much, you might blind the performer.

Last edited:
Indoor I use either 50mm f1.8 or 135 F2L. On crop it will be around 80 and 216 mm. If you intend to go upclose your tamron might suffice as at short focal length it is around f3.5 to 4 and you may work with flash.

Scared u need even longer focal length? I will use a 1.4x teleconvertor on 135L. It will give you ard 190mm f2.8 telephoto lens. Cheaper to have 135 and 1.4x than 135 and 200 lens.

70-200f2.8 is great, having IS is better but again these things don't come cheap depends on your budget.

i have the liberty to move around the tent.

i see that the 85mm 1.8 isnt too ex.

a 30mm would go with it, but the price is not right

i will not get a L lens yet. after i get my proper primes and maybe a 17-50, then i replace my 18-200 with a L

the 'better beamer' construction is so simple. i will DIY it

Last edited:

i will not get a L lens yet. after i get my proper primes and maybe a 17-50, then i replace my 18-200 with a L

you don't have to buy the lens, you can rent.. since you are just using it for that event..
also gives you the opportunity to try the lens and decide if you wanna buy it next time~!

i suggest you get a 85 1.8 and a 17-50 2.8... (if have two body even better, don't need keep changing lens.) then you can move around the tent to capture close up shots and also wide shots..

this will not be the only event. there are 2 more similar event coming up

i also help out in wedding photography. my colleague and me will share lens.

however i decided that i should also start to invest in my next lens, so we can have a larger collection, and also independent should we venture out alone.

you don't have to buy the lens, you can rent.. since you are just using it for that event..
also gives you the opportunity to try the lens and decide if you wanna buy it next time~!

i suggest you get a 85 1.8 and a 17-50 2.8... (if have two body even better, don't need keep changing lens.) then you can move around the tent to capture close up shots and also wide shots..

I agree with enzeru, you should consider renting and see what is the style of photography that suits you better.

Also, i know you are checking out lenses, but you might want to consider a better body too if you are going to take concerts and events, because good high ISO performance is a need and if the events uses smoke/haze machine like the photos displayed in this thread, the flash might screw those photos up.

the 'better beamer' construction is so simple. i will DIY it

Only use the 'better beamer' if you are far away, and your flash needs to reach.

Make sure you get a plastic fresnel screen.