Lens for NDP Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholasoh

Mar 6, 2007
Hi,

I will be attending the NDP preview this weekend and will be expecting to take long range pictures and fireworks. As I do not have the required lens for my 30D, I will need some help from you to recommend me a good lens for taking these far shots. Will be renting them.

Thanks.

Where will your vantage/shooting point be, and what angle of coverage/results do you need?

Once those two elements are worked out, it's easy to figure what lenses would be needed.

it's free seating so i'm sure the shooting point. Aim is to capture the fireworks.

if you're seated at the grandstand try to get a wide-angle lens and try to sit at the top left corner (green area) as high up as you can get.

sounds like you're a teacher if you're going for NE1, not nice to plonk your students at the furthest corner though :bsmilie:

not a teacher la.. got tix in the red row.. first time there. not sure if its a grandstand.

wide angle? i already got a 17-50 but think thats not good for fireworks right?

ic.. red is right down the middle of the grandstand. if i were you i'd sit right up at the top and shoot the stage head-on. hopefully your lens will be wide enough to catch the fireworks nicely in the frame. i shot with 17-50 last wk frm 3/4 up but my fireworks at the right side of the stage got chopped off..

be careful abt blowing out the stage lights if you're going for long shutter speed though..

Hi,

I will be attending the NDP preview this weekend and will be expecting to take long range pictures and fireworks. As I do not have the required lens for my 30D, I will need some help from you to recommend me a good lens for taking these far shots. Will be renting them.

Thanks.

Strange, now you mention being up close in the seats. :think:

Strange, now you mention being up close in the seats. :think:
i mean i will be taking the pics when im in the seats. But im not sure how far will i be from the stage. Presumingbly, I will be very far, that's why will be taking long range shots..

ic.. red is right down the middle of the grandstand. if i were you i'd sit right up at the top and shoot the stage head-on. hopefully your lens will be wide enough to catch the fireworks nicely in the frame. i shot with 17-50 last wk frm 3/4 up but my fireworks at the right side of the stage got chopped off..

be careful abt blowing out the stage lights if you're going for long shutter speed though..
Hi,

In that case, not necessary for me to rent long focal lens?

Hi,

In that case, not necessary for me to rent long focal lens?

for the fireworks, no you should rent a UWA lens instead.

but for the parade & ceremony, & show segments you'll def need a telephoto lens, especially if you decide to sit far back to catch the fireworks.

i mean i will be taking the pics when im in the seats. But im not sure how far will i be from the stage. Presumingbly, I will be very far, that's why will be taking long range shots..

Yup. What darrrrr said. ;)

Long range - some photographers shoot fireworks from vantage points several kilometers away.

for the fireworks, no you should rent a UWA lens instead.

but for the parade & ceremony, & show segments you'll def need a telephoto lens, especially if you decide to sit far back to catch the fireworks.
Thanks. Do you consider 17-55mm a UWA?

the wider you can get, the happier you will be. that i can assure you. ;)

the wider you can get, the happier you will be. that i can assure you. ;)
Thanks. I keep thinking that if I get a lens with long focal, I can get closer shots on fireworks.

not a teacher la.. got tix in the red row.. first time there. not sure if its a grandstand.

wide angle? i already got a 17-50 but think thats not good for fireworks right?

Red row? wah!!! VIP seats leh, that's where the VIPs and the MPS and Ministers will sit on the actual day loh...

Wows aside, to your question.

I'm involved in this year's NDP. Parade and ceremony will be on the ground right next to the gallery so get a telephoto lens for that. If not you will have lots of 'heads' in your pics with the smart contingents.

Get a super telephoto lens like 500mm if you can to capture this year's highlights, the Presidential Gun Salute team, who will perform the salute ceremony on Combat Engineers' combat platform on the water. Use fast shutter speeds to capture the fireballs from the barrel like the one in this link---> http://fotologue.jp/shootingon/#/7502649/10184564

They will start firing after the National Anthem is being sung after the 'President' arrive so look out for them and get your camera ready.

For the fireworks, it will happen right after the National Anthem is being sang at night (or the second time throughout the whole show). Another hint when the fireworks is happening is when ALL the performers are starting to fill the stage.

But throughout the show after the parade & ceremony there will be small fireworks on the stage after each songs so can try capturing that as well.

For the lens to capture the fireworks I would also (like the rest) suggest an UWA like 10-22mm? That's what I used to capture this ---> http://fotologue.jp/shootingon/#/7502649/10213431

Happy Bday Singapore!!!

(p.s to adminstrators: I'm not asking for C&C on the links and pics I placed on this post so don't infract me for posting on wrong post/thread:))

Red row? wah!!! VIP seats leh, that's where the VIPs and the MPS and Ministers will sit on the actual day loh...

Wows aside, to your question.

I'm involved in this year's NDP. Parade and ceremony will be on the ground right next to the gallery so get a telephoto lens for that. If not you will have lots of 'heads' in your pics with the smart contingents.

Get a super telephoto lens like 500mm if you can to capture this year's highlights, the Presidential Gun Salute team, who will perform the salute ceremony on Combat Engineers' combat platform on the water. Use fast shutter speeds to capture the fireballs from the barrel like the one in this link---> http://fotologue.jp/shootingon/#/7502649/10184564

They will start firing after the National Anthem is being sung after the 'President' arrive so look out for them and get your camera ready.

For the fireworks, it will happen right after the National Anthem is being sang at night (or the second time throughout the whole show). Another hint when the fireworks is happening is when ALL the performers are starting to fill the stage.

But throughout the show after the parade & ceremony there will be small fireworks on the stage after each songs so can try capturing that as well.

For the lens to capture the fireworks I would also (like the rest) suggest an UWA like 10-22mm? That's what I used to capture this ---> http://fotologue.jp/shootingon/#/7502649/10213431

Happy Bday Singapore!!!

(p.s to adminstrators: I'm not asking for C&C on the links and pics I placed on this post so don't infract me for posting on wrong post/thread:))
is there a limit on maximum focal length for spectators? i'm not sure how the person in front of you will feel with a 500mm lens of longer hovering over his head

do note that NE shows are not free seating. you'll be "assigned" seats by the ushers. different schools will have different zones allocated to them, so you can'y just happily walk to any colour zone and sit down.

Hi,

Thanks.

10-22mm will do the job, I was there on 4July Blue zone using tokina 12-24mm, entered too early and sat too low.
For better fireworks viewing and shooting go for higher row. Have a good evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.