Lens for Macro, Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmony

Feb 4, 2004
Lion City
www.harmonyphotogallery.com
Hi,

I am keen on Macro and also Portrait photography. Two lens came to mind, Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D and Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 SP Di macro.

I have been thinking for some time now, does it make sense to get two lens or just go with Tamron which could serve a macro+portrait lens.

Need some advise here, thank you :)

Hi,

I am keen on Macro and also Portrait photography. Two lens came to mind, Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D and Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 SP Di macro.

I have been thinking for some time now, does it make sense to get two lens or just go with Tamron which could serve a macro+portrait lens.

The 50mm is not a micro lens. Go for the Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D if you want to shoot macro.

Both the Nikkor 60mm and the Tamron 90mm are good lens for macro and portraits. Working distance will be your prime concern here. Another candidate you may want to consider is the Tokina 100mm.

BC

Hi,

Get the Tamron AF 90mm f2.8 if budget not a issue then get the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR:thumbsup:

get a 60mm micro f2.8d. a used one would be good. prob set up back 450sgd.
works like a charm, great for dual use(macro/portrait).

no doubt about it. period.

I choose Tamron 90mm because it functions both as macro and a substitute for 85mm portrait lens; whereas Nikkor 60mm covers only macro since you can get a cheap and better 50mm f1.8 as the portrait.

And the Tamron 90mm is very sharp, as I can attest to that myself.
http://portal.chester.sg/content/view/124/2/

Thanks for the replies :)

I am leaning toward having one lens to suit two purposes (macro and portrait).

105mm VR is out of my reach.

And Tamron 90mm option looks good but how is the AF speed and accuracy?

well. i had the 90mm before i sold it away for the 60mm micro. for me, 90mm is too tight in enclosed spaces, hunts a lot and has CA, though minor, this doesnt happen for the 60mm. but it really depends on personal feel, and your needs, wants, style. ymmv.

=)

i had the 90mm before i sold it for the 105mm...
90mm does produce some stunning pics, but like mentioned above, it does hunts a bit...
get the 105mm and dun look back after that...
its the best investment.... :)

Since it is a good portrait lens also, how about taking infant? :dunno:

Nikon 105 VR f2.8 gets my vote as well.

Nikon VR f2.8 105mm will hunt as well but compared to the old Nikon 105mm, 90mm Tamron and 105mm Sigma, the new 105mm VR focusing is definately 50% faster plus it's VR. So you can shoot at low light as well.

You might want to consider the new Sigma 70mm macro...

Status
Not open for further replies.