Lens for macro photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

myyong

Aug 25, 2006
Hi all,
I'm a newbie and like to know are there lenses specially for macro photography? i'm using a nikon DSLR, any recommendations on which lens to buy? what's the price range like? i've tried using my 18-135 lens but just can't have a focus at close proximity...:sweat:

get the 105mmVR macro nikkor lens....once u use it...u will fall in love with it....

price last quoted to me was $1250...

tamron 90mm macro... at about 600

ExplorerZ said:
tamron 90mm macro... at about 600
Agree with this. It is a very sharp lens for the price you pay. :thumbsup: Not too heavy also. The only down side is that it extends out when focusing.

westwest1 said:
get the 105mmVR macro nikkor lens....once u use it...u will fall in love with it....

price last quoted to me was $1250...
does VR plays a part in macro photography?

ortega said:
What is your intended macro subject
and intended budget?
Mostly Plants and insects, budget should be less than $500 (second-hand lens)....
what recommendations u have? :)

myyong said:
Hi all,
I'm a newbie and like to know are there lenses specially for macro photography? i'm using a nikon DSLR, any recommendations on which lens to buy? what's the price range like? i've tried using my 18-135 lens but just can't have a focus at close proximity...:sweat:
Hiee..

Don't forget cheaper alternative with extension tubes or reverse 50mm macro photography. I;ve seen great superb works by fellow Cs'ers who do not own really dedicated macro lens.

I personally use a 35-70f4(minolta) with an extension tube. Setup cost less than $100.

Ask your self what type of macro photog that lens you have in mind and i think go ahead from there.

myyong said:
Mostly Plants and insects, budget should be less than $500 (second-hand lens)....
for these a mid tele macro lens is prefered for the working distance

a cheap and good dedicated macro lens would be the tamron 90mm

sample images from a tamron 90 and D70 with pop up flash
http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199617

tamron 90mm. :thumbsup:
2nd hand ard $450.
cheap and good..

myyong said:
does VR plays a part in macro photography?

just quoting which lens to you...

Well...its good to have VR if u need to handheld it...

If you're going for a short working distance, then try the 60mm nikkor micro lens.. Very good piece. But if you need a longer working distance, then do consider the 105mm (with or without the VR)

If you are using the 18-135, I suppose that you're starting off with the D80 piece. And with a 10 megapixel cam, it's vital to have a good piece of glass to make the camera work well and show up good images. ;)

Do get frens with such pieces to test out before you commit.

In my opinion, one of the sharpest lens for Macro is the Nikon 60mm F2.8 Micro lens. It is selling for about S$621 nett ( cash ). A friend of mine has this lens and he showed me samples he took ..... the pictures were truely sharp !!! Every detail is clear.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a cheaper lens from Sigma. It is the 70~300 APO telephoto lens that comes with Super Macro function. This lens enable you to take a close-up shot of flowers in the pond when it is not possible to get near. The selling price if I am not mistaken is about S$340.... I have this Sigma lens and it is cheap and good ....:)

Edward77 said:
In my opinion, one of the sharpest lens for Macro is the Nikon 60mm F2.8 Micro lens. It is selling for about S$621 nett ( cash ). A friend of mine has this lens and he showed me samples he took ..... the pictures were truely sharp !!! Every detail is clear.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a cheaper lens from Sigma. It is the 70~300 APO telephoto lens that comes with Super Macro function. This lens enable you to take a close-up shot of flowers in the pond when it is not possible to get near. The selling price if I am not mistaken is about S$340.... I have this Sigma lens and it is cheap and good ....:)

sigma also not bad, but its mag ratio is 2:1
not truly macro.

nikonever said:
sigma also not bad, but its mag ratio is 2:1
not truly macro.
Errr...., a correction should be made:
it is not truly macro lens because it is not intended/designed as a macro/micro lens, not because is magnification ratio is 2:1.

Regards,
Arto.

myyong said:
Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AFD second hand is around that cost. New one is around $600.

Regards,
Arto.

zac08 said:
If you're going for a short working distance, then try the 60mm nikkor micro lens.. Very good piece. But if you need a longer working distance, then do consider the 105mm (with or without the VR)

If you are using the 18-135, I suppose that you're starting off with the D80 piece. And with a 10 megapixel cam, it's vital to have a good piece of glass to make the camera work well and show up good images. ;)

Do get frens with such pieces to test out before you commit.
Thanks for the advice!

ortega said:
for these a mid tele macro lens is prefered for the working distance

a cheap and good dedicated macro lens would be the tamron 90mm

sample images from a tamron 90 and D70 with pop up flash
http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199617
Wow! your pics really inspired me more into marco photography and wanting to get my hands on the tamron!
Anyone like to let go his/her tamron 90? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.