Lens for Macro Photography


Status
Not open for further replies.

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#1
Hi all

Anyone can recommend me the above, I intend to shoot insects etc, also preferably not too high end, 3rd party will be good enough as I just started and do not intend to blow a small fortune over it.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend. :)
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
#2
snemeis said:
Hi all

Anyone can recommend me the above, I intend to shoot insects etc, also preferably not too high end, 3rd party will be good enough as I just started and do not intend to blow a small fortune over it.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend. :)
Welcome to Clubsnap :)

What is your budget? What camera system are you using?
 

rncw

Senior Member
Oct 26, 2002
1,928
0
0
Singapore / Japan / China
#3
snemeis said:
Hi all

Anyone can recommend me the above, I intend to shoot insects etc, also preferably not too high end, 3rd party will be good enough as I just started and do not intend to blow a small fortune over it.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend. :)
sigma or tamron macro lenses are probably more suitable for your requirements.

sigma macro lenses
50mm F2.8 EX DG
50mm F2.8 EX
105mm F2.8 EX DG
105mm F2.8 EX
150mm F2.8 EX
180mm F3.5

tamron macro lenses
SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
 

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#4
megaweb said:
Welcome to Clubsnap :)

What is your budget? What camera system are you using?
Hiee

I am currently using film SLR; NIKON F80 and F601. Less than SGD 500 (am i underestimating the $ involved in Macro Photography? If so think I will give it a miss then) :embrass:

Thanks
 

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#5
rncw said:
sigma or tamron macro lenses are probably more suitable for your requirements.

sigma macro lenses
50mm F2.8 EX DG
50mm F2.8 EX
105mm F2.8 EX DG
105mm F2.8 EX
150mm F2.8 EX
180mm F3.5

tamron macro lenses
SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro

Thanks for the information! Appreciate it very much.
 

Wryer

New Member
Dec 17, 2002
602
0
0
32
Tampines
Visit site
#6
Hi dude

A budget with 500 will probably get you the Sigma 105 or the Tamron 90, 2nd hand.

But i hope you have factored in the cost of a flash, yeah? Because through my brief encounter with macro photography with F80 (or in any case, any camera), a reasonably gd flash will prove to be very useful in macro photography. In terms of freezing motion and optimum colour (backgrnd,foregrd) reproduction. The built in flash is too harsh on the subject, even with the tissue paper-trick, its a little...tricky. :)

Gd Luck! Macro photography is not easy. But im sure Megaweb would love to help you. :) I was inspired by his works 2 yrs ago! :D
 

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#7
Wryer said:
Hi dude

A budget with 500 will probably get you the Sigma 105 or the Tamron 90, 2nd hand.

But i hope you have factored in the cost of a flash, yeah? Because through my brief encounter with macro photography with F80 (or in any case, any camera), a reasonably gd flash will prove to be very useful in macro photography. In terms of freezing motion and optimum colour (backgrnd,foregrd) reproduction. The built in flash is too harsh on the subject, even with the tissue paper-trick, its a little...tricky. :)

Gd Luck! Macro photography is not easy. But im sure Megaweb would love to help you. :) I was inspired by his works 2 yrs ago! :D

Thanks, I have a sb80dx, is the flash ok?
 

Witness

Senior Member
Mar 18, 2004
6,943
0
36
33
www.maverickatwork.com
#8
for macro i tink the best is the ring flash attached round the lens.....for nikon should be sb-29.....

i tink a tamron 90mm di is very affordable and good macro lens...

cheers..
 

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#9
Thanks to all that shared their valuable insights.
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
#10
tamron 90mm di should be within your budget.

flash setup : use a diffuser comes with SB80dx and compensate -1/3 to -1 for fill in flash
camera setup : use aperture f8 or smaller for insect shots. if possible, use shutter release cable for slow sync
film : ISO 50 (velvia) to 100
tripod : good to have
optional : Positioning Plate
 

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#11
Thanks Megaweb, however just a slight clarification, this Tamron 90mm di is
1) for digital only or
2) film only or
3) usable for both.

Thank you. :embrass:



megaweb said:
tamron 90mm di should be within your budget.

flash setup : use a diffuser comes with SB80dx and compensate -1/3 to -1 for fill in flash
camera setup : use aperture f8 or smaller for insect shots. if possible, use shutter release cable for slow sync
film : ISO 50 (velvia) to 100
tripod : good to have
optional : Positioning Plate
 

fengwei

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2004
14,462
12
0
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
#13
Why don't try with a reversed lens first? Guys like megaweb and melvynyeo got some nice macro shots with a 50mm lens reverse mount on a compact digital camera.

BTW, I got a 50mm lens for sale at b&s forum. Very cheap and good enough for you to start shooting macros (especially good for small insects).

Cheers and happy shooting.
 

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#14
Thanks but I am using a nikon. ;)


fengwei said:
Why don't try with a reversed lens first? Guys like megaweb and melvynyeo got some nice macro shots with a 50mm lens reverse mount on a compact digital camera.

BTW, I got a 50mm lens for sale at b&s forum. Very cheap and good enough for you to start shooting macros (especially good for small insects).

Cheers and happy shooting.
 

fengwei

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2004
14,462
12
0
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
#16
snemeis said:
Thanks but I am using a nikon. ;)
Macro shooting with a reverse lens, the brand of lens doesn't matter lah. The only things that matter are the lens thread, glass and speed of the lens, and of course the focal length and etc. 50mm is the most used lens when shooting macro with a reverse lens :)

Good luck!
 

snemeis

New Member
Nov 17, 2004
113
0
0
#18
kthan said:
hi snemeis, the Tamron 90mm non-Di (nikon mount) is going for $400-450 in the b/s thread. Do check it out.

Thanks will do a search now! :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom