Lens for Kids

brlcc

Jan 9, 2010
Hi All,
I am puzzling over which lens to get, either one of these Canon 35mm f2 / 50mm f1.4 / 50mm f1.8 lens. I would love to use this len to take kids portrait and indoor kids group photograph at times.

Currently I am having a 500D with 85mm f1.8 but at times I find it too space restrictive using the 85mm on a 500D. Try using a 17-55mm before but prefer prime lens.

Appreciate if I can hear all your kind comments. Thanks

I would suggest getting the 35mm, because if you have kids running towards you, you might find it hard to take a full body shot using a 50mm in time. Also, the 35mm will be better for taking a group photo just in case you have space constraint.

Hi All,
I am puzzling over which lens to get, either one of these Canon 35mm f2 / 50mm f1.4 / 50mm f1.8 lens. I would love to use this len to take kids portrait and indoor kids group photograph at times.

Currently I am having a 500D with 85mm f1.8 but at times I find it too space restrictive using the 85mm on a 500D. Try using a 17-55mm before but prefer prime lens.

Appreciate if I can hear all your kind comments. Thanks

35mm for some space to catch running kids. 50mm for half body or close up shots.

to take group photo, I think having the extra space might be beneficial. My suggestion is to go for the 35mm.

i will prefer a fast prime as well.. 35 for APS-C sensor seems more ideal in tight spaces indoor

u can try 30mm sigma or 28mm canon
i think its more suitable for kids..

:):):)

if you know the space you are working in, the 35mm. The 17-55mm on the other hand gives greater flexibility for any surprises that may "pop" out.

The 35 will be more useful indoors as your 50D makes it roughly a ~56mm equivalent.

AF on the 50mm f1.8 is very slow and hunts a lot in low light.

I used a 50mm 1.8 + FF at home with kids.
This lens hunts a fair bit and it might be a tad tight to use for you. Unless you're staying in a huge place.
Maybe a 35mm would be good.

am using sigma 30mm f1.4 for indoor shots of my kids.

Hi guys, thanks for your valuable advise. Maybe I just go and rent these 2 lens and have a try on them before deciding on which one to get. Thanks

I read on some article that 24mm can be a considerable option, anyone use that before?

buy both, the 50mm f1.8 (must have lens for canon user) and the 35 f2. You can shoot ur child all angle with 35, 50 and 85. haha.