Lens for Indoor photography

richardchua85

Jul 23, 2012
Singapore
I'm wondering what lens would you all recommend to use for indoor event at night?

As I would be doing it soon, and looking to rent some equiptments for that.

I have been thinking of using 17-55 or 24-70 with a 18-200 on my canon 60D.

Thank you for any advice...

with your current lens set up, do you think gaining about two stops of exposure is enough? Yes? No?
If Yes, go ahead and rent a f2.8 pro zoom lens or f1.4 prime lens
If No, than how? can use flash?

can you afford to shoot at wide open aperture? Yes? No?
if Yes, then f2.8 pro zoom lens or f1.4 prime lens will be useful
if No, than how? can use flash?

does the event allow you to use flash? Yes? No?
if Yes, just use flash with your current set up.
if No, go ahead and rent a f2.8 pro zoom lens or f1.4 prime lens.

I'm wondering what lens would you all recommend to use for indoor event at night?

As I would be doing it soon, and looking to rent some equiptments for that.

I have been thinking of using 17-55 or 24-70 with a 18-200 on my canon 60D.

Thank you for any advice...

What event first? We need to know so that can advise better.

In my experience, if the event allows flash use then just simply use the 18-200 for the whole event. If no flash allowed, you are looking at the sigma 30mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 combo. Can use the wide angle of the 18-200 for group shots as usually they will allow flash for these types of shots. Might want to take in Raw for post processing later on.

Thank you for the advice. It's for my company dinner event, which allow me to use flash.

I think I will go ahead with my current setup and with a speedlite.

EFS 17-55 with a speedlite will be the best combo for the event. 200mm with flash is redundant.

company dinner event usually have speech, award presentation, and group photos, all these you need to give sharp sharp clear clear photos, using flash is a must,
and with flash, even a kit lens is capable to deliver decent photos.

Thank you for the advice. It's for my company dinner event, which allow me to use flash.

I think I will go ahead with my current setup and with a speedlite.

Good call. You already have the 18-200mm, use that. Most event photogrs seldom shoot below f/4 for events anyway.

PLUS flash. Borrow a 580EX plus two sets of fresh AA nimh batteries, fully charged right before event or day before.

No need waste money to rent the 2.8 zooms.

But keep your focal length less than 105mm most of the time, coz your flash won't be strong enough for long shots anyway, unless direct flash.

Last edited:
What do you mean no need? 17-55 is equiv to 27mm-88mm on a 60D which is the ideal focal length for TS..

No need to buy that lens since he can just use a kit lens

Thank you for all the wonderful advice.

But I'm wondering what is the reason that most people uses 24-70 for events, since mention that seldom uses less than f4?

I've seen people use 24-105 f4 also.

But I'm wondering what is the reason that most people uses 24-70 for events, since mention that seldom uses less than f4?
using 24-70 mostly is on full frame body, using it on crop body may be not wide enough at times...

not tele enough, you can always crop it down, not wide enough, you are screwed.

for event photos, what people want to see is clear clear sharp sharp photos, nobody care about bokeh except photographers who like to pixel peek.
imagine you shoot your CEO giving a speech, took 15 photos, 5 out of focus, 5 motion blur, 5 handshake, what photos can you deliver?

more over, most of the time company using the images on web, some people may print it on 4R photos, so what kind of gears do you think is adequate?

richardchua85 said:

When you need 2.8 DOF, F/4 lenses can't help you. No problem for e F/2.8 lenses to down aperture to F/4. On top of that, more light will able to enter when you are focusing F/2.8 lenses than F/4s, this aids and give you a better chance to accurately AF. Of course, aperture size is not the only factor for accurate AF.

If your Cam is not FF, avoid 24mm range. Too narrow.

Besides all the advices given by others, my advise is to shoot in RAW, so that you can do PP later and wont lose much details.

Second advise is make sure you know how to use the flash hor. The settings for flash photography is different from non flash photography. All dependable on the ambience lightings.

If not sure, go practice more in a similar environment

Thank you so much for the advice!!!!

Other than using flash and my kit lens, I also decided to rent a 15-85mm lens to go with it.

Hope I am right with this combo.

Thank you so much for the advice!!!!

Other than using flash and my kit lens, I also decided to rent a 15-85mm lens to go with it.

Hope I am right with this combo.

If you rent a 15-85, you can keep your 18-55 at home.

Thank you everyone for all the great help...

I have learn something new!!!