lens for indoor exhibition - toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamrolex

Dec 26, 2008
Dear all,

newbie here.

Currently I am using D90.
I have a general purpose lens like 18-200mm and also the stock lens 18-105mm.
takes beautify pictures !!

I will be attending a toy show - indoor exhibition-style lightings.
I am hoping to take a lot of photos of these toys, miniature scaled toys (1/10th, 1/8th, 1/36th etc . . ) like cars, trains, planes.

** Note : also pls conside that for most of the time I can get close enough but in certain situations where I cannot stand so close to the toys (maybe 2~3 metres away ??).

If I have to choose 1 lens to buy for this, which would you recommend.
also I don't have flash, do you think sb-600 or (better) pop-up flash enough ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

I would suggest you try renting a dedicated macro lens (nikon calls them "micro" lenses). A Tamron 90mm is a good start.

1/10th, 1/8th and 1/36th scaled models are quite substantial in sizes depending on the actual subjects they were modelled after. I'd try to use a medium telephoto. Wide angles, though generally can focus nearer but the perspective distortions might be too much to accurately document the models' actual shape.

You will need a flash, and most likely a bounce card or diffuser device.
I don't think the lighting in the exhibition hall/room will be enough for non flash photography unless you use a fast lens (lose depth of field) and/or high ISO (noise... maybe).

i think the 18-105mm and a macro lens work fine, generally toys have different sizes. Also theres lotsa angles u wana take from, i guess a macro lens would be a good addition. btw care to share the toy show u attending? im interested too, thx!

Thank you all for your response.

I will attend Nuremberg Toy Show.
Last time I used my Nikon Coolpix 5400. Took very nice pictures too.

This year since I got my D90, thought of using it during the show.

don't want to spend too much.

Anyone thinks my 18-105 VR will get the job done ? Since I won't be using so much of "macro" modes.
I will probably get myself a SB-600 or 900 too to go along with my setup.
Any idea ?

Thanks again.

Yes, bring along the AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED or the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED. The Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro is fine too.

You can take a look at the photos of the figurines that this guy had taken using the 60mm. It's very nice, and sharp...
http://www.dannychoo.com/figure/eng/

It depends...

1. if you want to take details of the toys, use a macro lens, or at least a lens that has 1:2 magnification.

2. If you want to take moving object, or far objects, like model train running on their tracks, use a zoom lens. The focal length depends on how far you are from the toys.

3. If you want to photograph a composition of small items, use a wideangle to highlight the composition. (long lens will make the composition flat).

And my final recommendation, try to take the picture at the same level of the toys... don't just stand and take, and bounce your flash...

Dear all,

newbie here.

Currently I am using D90.
I have a general purpose lens like 18-200mm and also the stock lens 18-105mm.
takes beautify pictures !!

I will be attending a toy show - indoor exhibition-style lightings.
I am hoping to take a lot of photos of these toys, miniature scaled toys (1/10th, 1/8th, 1/36th etc . . ) like cars, trains, planes.

** Note : also pls conside that for most of the time I can get close enough but in certain situations where I cannot stand so close to the toys (maybe 2~3 metres away ??).

If I have to choose 1 lens to buy for this, which would you recommend.
also I don't have flash, do you think sb-600 or (better) pop-up flash enough ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
I have some experience.

If stationary, any lens will work.

if moving, use fast lens.

if behind glass, use a CPL to cut out reflections.

Use ISO rather then Flash.

between the 2 lenses, 18-200 would be the ideal one in case some showcases are packed with people.

by the way where and when is the toy show?

Thanks guys for the many suggestions.
Nuremberg toy show is after CNY.
In Germany.

So excited to try out the D90 !!

if its a low room fine but if its a exhibition hall then must need a pretty powerful flash to even hit the ceiling. Bouncing to left and right not recommended as there may be people beside you.

Status
Not open for further replies.