Lens for hotel portrait shoot

r0n1n

Mar 9, 2009
Tampines
hi guys, i haven't joined any model shoot who's location is in some hotel. i have both 105 f2 DC and 50 f1.8 and I am not sure which one to bring (maybe both to be safe :confused: ). i have no problem using the 105 outdoor as space is not an issue but for this case, do you think 105 will do good considering the space? will it be too "tight"? or 50 f1.8 is better to use?

also, i have no idea how big the hotel rooms are (but at least i know space is limited), maybe someone can give me some tips? btw, im using dx body.

thanks!

to be frank, both are quite tight, u might pass by using your 50mm but definitely not your 105 (especially if the room is too small). why not try using those lens in your rm and imagine u are in the hotel room? its the same except hotel rm may be slight bigger then your rm.

50 will be tight... likely chop off body parts... :p unless you're on FX.

24 or 35 for the environmental shot...

Visualize the shots you want to take. Test the 50 and the 105 and note down how far you have to be from subject to get that kind of composition. Then think if it is achievable in a hotel room.

105mm is definitely too tight.
the 50mm might do it, a wider lens would be good, unless you are not looking at full body photos

thank you for all your responses :)

i tried it inside my room, quite ok for tight head shots. so im assuming the hotel will be a lot bigger so I was thinking of a decent upper body shot.

yeah i guess i needed a wider lens, as bro wmayeo mentioned either 24 or 35. so 24 is enough for full body shot? hmm already thinking of renting 24 1.4G :think:

Your kit lens can do the job pretty well :)

thank you for all your responses :)

i tried it inside my room, quite ok for tight head shots. so im assuming the hotel will be a lot bigger so I was thinking of a decent upper body shot.

yeah i guess i needed a wider lens, as bro wmayeo mentioned either 24 or 35. so 24 is enough for full body shot? hmm already thinking of renting 24 1.4G :think:

I'm not sure what size of room shoot organizers book.
If it's a "standard" room (I think most hotels call it deluxe or something) in a 4- or 5-star hotel, it should be at most 10-15% larger than the master bedroom in a HDB apartment.
I'd imagine that 24/1.4 would do very nicely! :)

For hotel room shoots, usually is small room one, because shoot organizers need to make ends meet also. So 24 or 35mm on crop, 35mm or 50mm on FF.

I'm not sure what size of room shoot organizers book.
If it's a "standard" room (I think most hotels call it deluxe or something) in a 4- or 5-star hotel, it should be at most 10-15% larger than the master bedroom in a HDB apartment.
I'd imagine that 24/1.4 would do very nicely! :)

24 f1.4G is very tempting indeed :D

For hotel room shoots, usually is small room one, because shoot organizers need to make ends meet also. So 24 or 35mm on crop, 35mm or 50mm on FF.

i hope not, the ratio might be 8:1, though not sure yet. bigger room would be nicer :sweat:

Your kit lens can do the job pretty well :)

hi levis, not using kit anymore. but i do have 16-85. i prefer to use prime for portrait ;)

Last edited:
35/1.4 on an FX cam should be more ______ ;p

:devil: BBB :devil:

cannot poison me, no moolah :sticktong i might just rent, the rental price for both 24/1.4G and 35/1.4G is the same ;p

just get a 10-20 uwa and your 50mm

u dont want to get confused changing lenses during a shoot

I think a 105mm macro will do, depending on what you wanna focus on.

you need about 10-11m distance in PORTRAIT MODE (add more distance if you shooting LANDSCAPE MODE) (without anyone getting in your way in between u and subject ) to go full-body ..... hope the TS is working in a Presidential Suite lolzzzz.....

not saying NEVER use LONG lenses ....... in actual fact, a 70-200 works GREAT vs a fixed focal length 100mm ...paired with a UWA zoom ..... a fixed focal length 100mm telephoto is tough to deploy with the feet

up to u guys ..... we all live and learn

Last edited: