Lens for FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coltian2004

Jan 1, 2006
Clementi
Hi guys,
Just got my 2nd hand FZ5 and really love it. Would like to get somes lenses to go with it, especially after seeing the photos taken by bros here using their FZ5. However, I'm a total novice in photography. Thus, hope the experts here can give me some advices.

1) Is lens = filters?
2) What should I take note when getting a lens/filter for my FZ5?
3) Saw some postings selling 55mm LP, 55mm CP, 55mm ND4 and 55mm +4 close up filter. What do the codes stand for? Is +4 close up filter = Macro lens?
4) Actually want to get a WCON lens and a macro lens. Any good and cheap ones to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Coltian2004 said:
Hi guys,
Just got my 2nd hand FZ5 and really love it. Would like to get somes lenses to go with it, especially after seeing the photos taken by bros here using their FZ5. However, I'm a total novice in photography. Thus, hope the experts here can give me some advices.

1) Is lens = filters?
2) What should I take note when getting a lens/filter for my FZ5?
3) Saw some postings selling 55mm LP, 55mm CP, 55mm ND4 and 55mm +4 close up filter. What do the codes stand for? Is +4 close up filter = Macro lens?
4) Actually want to get a WCON lens and a macro lens. Any good and cheap ones to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Dude better read up first about the terms of photog, cuz it can get lengthy.
1) Filter is filter. If lens is what you're talking about, its known as attatchment lenses.
2) Make sure its 55mm. Thats about it i guess.
3) Err, try reading up on that...i'm not that good at explaining.
4) WCON try getting WCON07 from olympus. If you want macro can try hunting Nikon 4T's or raynox dcr-250's. If bopian cant find 4T can always look for raynox. morphis can help you out. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=189427

Some in-detailed FZ5 stuff i have. http://metallilan.atspace.com/Gear Album/ Its abit out dated ar :sweatsm: but majority of the stuff are there.

:angel:

Hi bro,
Thanks for your reply. Actually on a tight budget. Do you think I can use +4 close up filter to substitute for a macro lens?

Thanks

haha..then you should have gotten the FZ5 from me! I just sold one with all the stuff you needed!
Here is my inputs :

1. The FZ5 cannot be used with lenses by default. However, it can take filters.

2. Filters have to be attached via the hood adapter (without the hood installed)

3. The Circular Polarisation filter is useful if you want to cut glare from direct reflected sunlight. I only used mine once for testing! This one is useful if you are taking sunset and want to cut the glare from the sea.

4. The UV filter is used to cut off UV light but seriously, I see no difference, so it us used basically as a lens protector.

5. The +4 filter is used for macro shots. If you use macro mode and try to zoom in close to your image, you realise that it cannot focus unless you place the camera 2 m away from the subject! The +4 filter shortens the distance by 4 times.

6. The Olympus WCON7 and WCON8 are simply the best bag for buck you can get. Minimal distortion and great performance for wide views. (eg wedding dinner or large family portraits). The WCON7 is as cheap as $190+ but if you pay more for the WCON8C series, some people have swear its the best you can buy but be prepared to pay hundreds of dollars.

Make sure you get the 55mm version!!:)

Coltian2004 said:
Hi bro,
Thanks for your reply. Actually on a tight budget. Do you think I can use +4 close up filter to substitute for a macro lens?

Thanks

of cos, but hoya +4 quality is known to be not as good as the others, but at that price is worth getting. as long as you don stack more than one, it wun degrade ur image quality to anywhere near unusable

Coltian2004 said:
Hi bro,

Thanks

Sure you can. But beware chromatic abbaration http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration when you shake slightly. Happened to me the first time i used a hoya +4.

My advice, save as much as you can first. Don't sacrifice the cost for performance, in this case, image quality.

Hi bros,
Thank you so much for all your advices!
Sorry! One more question. Can lens be fitted directly onto my FZ5 or it needs some kind of adaptor?

Thanks

Coltian2004 said:
Hi bros,
Thank you so much for all your advices!
Sorry! One more question. Can lens be fitted directly onto my FZ5 or it needs some kind of adaptor?

Thanks

ur lens adaptor is 55mm. as long as the lens is screw mount with 55mm will fit.
my advice is not to BBB.........

the last time i ask for wcon08C is almost 4 hundred bucks.
For me Wcon08 is good enough.
for tele, u can go for Tcon 1.4 or Tcon1.7

u got tight budget, go to B&S lor. u might find wat u want.

FZ5owner said:
ur lens adaptor is 55mm. as long as the lens is screw mount with 55mm will fit.
my advice is not to BBB.........

the last time i ask for wcon08C is almost 4 hundred bucks.
For me Wcon08 is good enough.
for tele, u can go for Tcon 1.4 or Tcon1.7

u got tight budget, go to B&S lor. u might find wat u want.

good thing i already stopped BBB'ing cuz my FZ5 set is complete ;p

Wat is BBB huh?

FZ5owner, ya, I'm looking into the B&S section now. ;p

Hi guys,
2nd hand mint condition WCON-08B at $200. What you guys think? Worth?

Coltian2004 said:
Wat is BBB huh?

FZ5owner, ya, I'm looking into the B&S section now. ;p

BBB = Buy,Buy, Buy virus
do some research to see wat u really need.........dun waste unnecessary money

You don't need at WCON08B, a WCON08 with 55mm thread is a direct fit for the FZ5, should cost between S$80-110 in BS.

Coltian2004 said:
Hi guys,
2nd hand mint condition WCON-08B at $200. What you guys think? Worth?

May I know what does the "B" stands for? Seems like there are WCON-08B and WCON-08C.

Thanks

huggable said:
You don't need at WCON08B, a WCON08 with 55mm thread is a direct fit for the FZ5, should cost between S$80-110 in BS.

Do you mean the oylumpus WCON series? I doubt $80 can even buy you the box...
I just checked the price of a brand new older WCON7 and that one cost $190...
I know the WCON8X series cost around $200 if not more...

airconvent said:
Do you mean the oylumpus WCON series? I doubt $80 can even buy you the box...
I just checked the price of a brand new older WCON7 and that one cost $190...
I know the WCON8X series cost around $200 if not more...

Got my WCON8 at S$80.

whoswho said:
Got my WCON8 at S$80.

:bigeyes:
from where? I know the second hand price of the WCON8 is not anywhere near there...
is it a genuine olympus lens? In fact, I just checked with MS Color last week and the price of the WCON7 is $190!

airconvent said:
:bigeyes:
from where? I know the second hand price of the WCON8 is not anywhere near there...
is it a genuine olympus lens? In fact, I just checked with MS Color last week and the price of the WCON7 is $190!

its possible to fish a 2hand deal at around that price if you are lucky. metallilan got wcon07 and tcon17 at about that price as well

oh...so its not brand new....
the seller must have been rich or the item has changed hands a few times to progressively price down to $80....;)

airconvent said:
oh...so its not brand new....
the seller must have been rich or the item has changed hands a few times to progressively price down to $80....;)

so what do u expect? $80 for a brand new one? maybe that when u open a new company call OlympusII.
anyway they already said they got it from BnS, you can try getting it there as well :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.