Lens for Food Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokiemon

Mar 5, 2005
Hi i am thinking of getting a lens for food photography. i am using a full frame camera. looking at the nikkon 85mm 1.4, 105mm micro and possibly 50mm. if you have to choose one, which is an ideal lens? thanks.

A macro lens is usually the best. But if you're not planning on getting very close and "down into the food", you could also use your normal walkabout lens. Even a 24-70 will be fine.

Hi i am thinking of getting a lens for food photography. i am using a full frame camera. looking at the nikkon 85mm 1.4, 105mm micro and possibly 50mm. if you have to choose one, which is an ideal lens? thanks.
any lens will do...it all depends on the effect you want to give. so a lot of work on lighting usually needed. You also be surprised just what goes into making food very nice in front of the camera, in some cases not even edible anymore..hahaha.

i know there is prob no ideal lens. i am using it more for magazine and newsletter shots. have reasonable working distance to play with.

i know there is prob no ideal lens. i am using it more for magazine and newsletter shots. have reasonable working distance to play with.

Then use your existing standard walkabout lens.

Actually there are. There are detailed posts about this here and elsewhere. But at the end of the day, it's up to individual ideologies and preferences. ;)

Most lenses are fine. Just check the working distance/minimum focusing distance required.

i will prob end up getting the 60mm f2.8d. 105mm angle of view is too narrow for my work.

60mm micro...

or the 50mm, the rest are too long... :sweat:

Generally, use wide angle lens if you want to shoot lots of dishes like buffet, 50-60mm for single dish, and <85mm telephotos for appetizers... ;)

Hah, just kidding. Any lens will do, but I suggest prime lens in the range of 50-100mm for good colour and light capture.

Have fun.

If I'm you, I'll get the 85mm lens.

You can use it for portraiture and still life photography. ;)

What's the maximum reproduction ratio for the 85mm? Don't think it's ideal. I'm assuming you mean the f/1.4, as the TS mentioned that earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.