lens for cosplay

I think there is a confusion between "tele" and "zoom" here. No one is disputing that it is generally easier to get bokeh with a tele lens, even if its a zoom. But just that generally zooms have higher f-number than primes with the same FL, thus its harder to achieve bokeh.

HSS can be used to kill ambient, but so does using a small aperture. Knowledge of light and environment is crucial when planning such shots. The following was shot with Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6 @f8 and softbox lit from the top. It was taken at the stage area shown in the prev page top post.

7544324420_6fbf98978e_z.jpg

One has to choose their battle where and when to take the shot. Having a messy "bokeh" background detracts from the subject.

Last edited:
i beg to differ.

its actually much easier and nicer bokeh with zoom lens (as compared to wide angle lens).

my Canon 135mm f2 beats my Canon 35mm f1.4 and CZ 21mm f2.8 anytime.

I beg to differ. Zoom/prime and focal length are completely different concepts. Please understand the difference, especially when people are calling you out on that.

That said, I agree with your other point that you don't always need f/2 to have pleasant OOF backgrounds.

I beg to differ. Zoom/prime and focal length are completely different concepts. Please understand the difference, especially when people are calling you out on that.

I know they are two different concept. But for someone who is very new and wish to achieve bokeh shots. Generally, zoom lens is easier to achieve then prime (if not using wide aperture).

What I am trying to explain is that you dun need big aperture to achieve bokeh shots. You can achieve decent bokeh shots with smaller aperture using zoom lens.

Btw, I am a prime user myself.

Last edited:
I know they are two different concept.
Doesn't seem like you do...
Emoticon-Facepalm.gif

What I am trying to explain is that you dun need big aperture to achieve bokeh shots. You can achieve decent bokeh shots with smaller aperture using zoom lens.
I agree with your point but your reasoning is all wrong, you confuse "zoom lens" with "longer focal length/telephoto lens"

Btw, I am a prime user myself.
Nice, but that doesn't make your argument correct.

Doesn't seem like you do...
Emoticon-Facepalm.gif

I agree with your point but your reasoning is all wrong, you confuse "zoom lens" with "longer focal length/telephoto lens"

Nice, but that doesn't make your argument correct.

nvm if u don't. what matters is i trying to make things sound simpler to someone new and not sound complicated (trying to explain wide vs long).

Last edited:
nvm if u don't. what matters is i trying to make things sound simpler to someone new and not sound complicated (trying to explain wide vs long).

Applaud you for your effort lol.... You deserve a pat on the back for trying

this thread got alot of pros man.

anyway TS.

i find the EF 1200mm gives the best bokeh and can snipe all these cosplayers from afar.

so to me it is the best lens for taking cosplay.

sinned79, first you claimed its "actually much easier and nicer bokeh with zoom lens (as compared to wide angle lens)."

Then one guy (Thoth) responded by saying he was unable to get much bokeh with his Nex kit zoom.

Then instead of clarifying that you meant a telephoto zoom instead of any zoom lens, you just spammed a bunch of photos (mostly taken with long primes) and claimed "its the person using the camera equipment not the lens issue."

I think you are further confusing newbies rather than making it easier for them.

sinned79, first you claimed its "actually much easier and nicer bokeh with zoom lens (as compared to wide angle lens)."

Then one guy (Thoth) responded by saying he was unable to get much bokeh with his Nex kit zoom.

Then instead of clarifying that you meant a telephoto zoom instead of any zoom lens, you just spammed a bunch of photos (mostly taken with long primes) and claimed "its the person using the camera equipment not the lens issue."

I think you are further confusing newbies rather than making it easier for them.

i believe the saying, "picture speaks louder then words".

sometimes its easier to show an explaination with a photo here then words. while I might not be very good at explaining. I am refuting his points that aperture f2 or smaller is no good for bokeh.

True but u will NOT get good wide aperture like f/2.0 n below for such zoom lens. U can't get good Bokeh.

and I am trying to tell him that compare to wide lens and longer lens, longer lens is easier to achieve bokeh.

let's not go down deep to difference btw tele and zoom else he will ask what difference and blah blah blah blah blah..., i will just use a simple term zoom for simpler understanding since on compact camera u also use this zoom term.

so with my photos shot with lenses (f4), I can show pretty decent bokeh. Is that wrong?

Last edited:
Thoth said:
Really? My NEX 7 Kit Zoom 18-55 sux big time wif Bokeh at any aperture and focal length. LOL

That's because u DONT KNOW how to use it effectively

donut88 said:
That's because u DONT KNOW how to use it effectively

that's what i am trying to say to him.

since he using kit lens he had to understand the lens is wider + variable aperture hence its harder but still doable. but dun expect wonderful bokeh.

Last edited:
let's not go down deep to difference btw tele and zoom else he will ask what difference and blah blah blah blah blah..., i will just use a simple term zoom for simpler understanding

lol... your use of the term "zoom" is not simple, it's just plain wrong.

Want to be helpful, better to teach the correct things instead of passing off misinformation as fact. :nono:

Wait he go camera shop and look for a zoom lens to shoot at f/4, and the shop uncle sell him a Tokina 12-24 f/4, then he still can't get the elusive (I quote you) "bokeh shots" :bsmilie:

Too much bokeh is over rated~

You don't really need so much of it as long as you can bring out your subject~

Too much bokeh makes your pic lose DOF and make it looks flat~ if you don't frame properly u will have too much space in your frame~

thus its harder to achieve bokeh.

Good thing then that bokeh is not something you "achieve".

If you mean achieving background blur, it it significantly easier on higher focal lengths, even with smaller apertures. You get a different perspective though.

My Sigma 12-24mm is a "zoom" lens, but good luck blurring the background. The bokeh is not too pleasing on that lens too.

Please, we are in a photography forum. Let's try to teach newbies that "zoom" does not mean "high focal length", and "bokeh" does not mean "background blur" ok?

Too much bokeh is over rated~

You don't really need so much of it as long as you can bring out your subject~

Too much bokeh makes your pic lose DOF and make it looks flat~ if you don't frame properly u will have too much space in your frame~

Learn what "bokeh" means before you try to throw the term around. Bokeh is not background blur.

Really? My NEX 7 Kit Zoom 18-55 sux big time wif Bokeh at any aperture and focal length. LOL

The bokeh on that lens is quite nice, if you actually understand what background blur is, what bokeh is, and the basics behind it. It's very easy to achieve decent background blur if you maintain the correct camera-subject-background distances.

But based on your statement, you will blame everything on the gear instead of realizing the problem is behind the camera.

Oops I'm quite interested to hear your experience on Cosplay lens...

Got any suitable for only purpose lens on taking Cosplay :)

Any suitable below of my list?
14-24 f2.8/16-35 VR2
17-55 f2.8/17-50 f2.8
18-55/18-200 VR2
24-70/28-85 f2.8
24 f1.4
28 f1.8
50 f1.8/1.4
85 f1.8/1.4
105 f2.8 micro
70-200 f2.8 VR1/2

Thanks please advise :)

Oops I'm quite interested to hear your experience on Cosplay lens...

Got any suitable for only purpose lens on taking Cosplay :)

Any suitable below of my list?
14-24 f2.8/16-35 VR2
17-55 f2.8/17-50 f2.8
18-55/18-200 VR2
24-70/28-85 f2.8
24 f1.4
28 f1.8
50 f1.8/1.4
85 f1.8/1.4
105 f2.8 micro
70-200 f2.8 VR1/2

Thanks please advise :)

All are suitable. Even kit lens. There is no "lens for cosplay", there is just "lens that provides the focal length and aperture you need". More important is that you learn how to use an external flash and how to bounce/diffuse.