lens for alaskan trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

matoriv

May 21, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

probably going to alaska next yr september for a vacation.
will be hiking around and try to take pics of the northern lights.

I am using a d80 now and trying to reduce the number of lens to bring.

thinking of bring a 17-50mm f/2.8 and a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 lens.
but a friend suggested that i bring the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and an ultra wide lens like 12-24mm or a 16mm f/2.8 prime lens for the night shots...

anyone been to alaska and give some feedback?

Thanks.

You suggested setup is good.
A 17-50mm 2.8 usually produce very good quality images. A 70-300 is light and will give you the reach for wildlife if the opportunity arises.

A 18-200 (especially those with VR or OS) is also very good in terms of grabbing a shot under different situations, but the quality will be inferior to your 17-50.

Ultra-wide is only necessary if you want ultra-wide, otherwise 17mm should be sufficient. 16mm f2.8 is not particularly fast nor wide, so it is not versatile and I would give it a miss.

I typically travel with just an 18-200 but if I want better quality, I will also bring an f2.8 zoom. I might bring a prime or two if there is a special need, e.g. macro, low-light, birds, etc

thanks for the advice guys!

I have a 80-200mm f/2.8 (my dad's) but i think its too big and bulky to carry around.

wat kind of prime lens? 50mm f/1.8?

would a 17-50mm f/2.8 be sufficient to get in a good view of the northern lights or a 12-24mm would be significantly better?

A wider zoom can take a greater expanse of the skies. I went through flickr and most of the first few are taken with lenses on the wider end on a 35mm format. I would bring along a 12-24mm ( but then again I have never taken these lights. )

Here are some articles regarding taking these awesome lights with several other tips other than the focal length to be used.

How to Photograph the Aurora Borealis - Northern lights

Photographing Northern Lights with Your Digital SLR

There is a great amount of data on capturing these lights on film media as well.

Ryan

would a 17-50mm f/2.8 be sufficient to get in a good view of the northern lights or a 12-24mm would be significantly better?

Faster lens is better..........

UWA or WA prime is preferred.

cool, thanks for the links, giantcanopy!

really informative and helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.