Lens for 60D-18-135 or 18-200

whitekop

Oct 3, 2010
Hi people,

I am thinking of upgrading my camera. Will be getting the 60D but is torn between getting the 18-135 or 18-200 kit. I am not going for the 17-55 or 15-85, as I generally do street photography and have been frustrated previously due to insufficient zooms....yup I am a zoom person, that's why deciding between the 2...

Need your advise on which of the above can give me a better IQ. Also any possible problem that I may face with either.

Thank you!

TS, if your main subject is street photog, you might want to look at the 85 f1.8 prime. Its an inexpensive option that gives good bokeh. Its unlikely you'll be shooting wide with street photog, unless you really wanna cover all your options or needs. There is also the 3rd party lenses from sigma and tamron you can consider. Dont restrict yourself to the kit lenses.

A heads up: the 18-135 has poor IQ according to many. :dunno:

I was thinking of getting one of this lenses too but i settled with the 17-85 as i didn't really need the zoom. From what i read in reviews the barrel distortion of both lenses is quite bad. 18-135 seems slightly better. N its about $400 cheaper? Can get a 75-300 2nd hand or so.

Thank you all for the reply. I went to Canon Vivo just now to try both lenses. Like what most of you said, IQ so so...may be exploring the Tammy or Sigma lenses also. End of the day may have to sacrifice range for IQ.

Thank you all for the reply. I went to Canon Vivo just now to try both lenses. Like what most of you said, IQ so so...may be exploring the Tammy or Sigma lenses also. End of the day may have to sacrifice range for IQ.

Since you are doing street photography and would be using the tele side more than the wide, you may want to consider the Canon 55-250 IS. It is an inexpensive zoom with a very good reputation!

Since you are doing street photography and would be using the tele side more than the wide, you may want to consider the Canon 55-250 IS. It is an inexpensive zoom with a very good reputation!

I'll depend if TS is too lazy to change lenses. I tink a kit lens (esp 17-55, 15-85 or tamron 17-50) with 55-250 is a potent combination.

I was thinking of getting one of this lenses too but i settled with the 17-85 as i didn't really need the zoom. From what i read in reviews the barrel distortion of both lenses is quite bad. 18-135 seems slightly better. N its about $400 cheaper? Can get a 75-300 2nd hand or so.

Seldom see people using 75-300. Anyone who have used it before, can share your experience, in terms of AF, IQ etc?? seems like a good cheap option :think:

If you love zooms and do not need the wide end, 55-250 is a very good option.
For all-in-one, I would recommend 18-200

Just get the 18-200. It's a very versatile lens, reasonable IQ, and therefore has great resale value. It's a very popular travel lens.

If you don't like it, you can sell it without any loss... since you are getting it as a kit lens.

Just get the 18-200. It's a very versatile lens, reasonable IQ, and therefore has great resale value. It's a very popular travel lens.

If you don't like it, you can sell it without any loss... since you are getting it as a kit lens.

If you like the convenience, why not? Juz try to avoid using the widest angles at 18-23mm The barrel distortion is quite bad =)

If you like the convenience, why not? Juz try to avoid using the widest angles at 18-23mm The barrel distortion is quite bad =)

From 18-23mm shots using the 18-200mm, to reduce the barrel distortion effect I would recommend to use a software called PTLENS -> http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Seldom see people using 75-300. Anyone who have used it before, can share your experience, in terms of AF, IQ etc?? seems like a good cheap option :think:
Maybe cheap, but far from good. Use at least f/8 or your image won't be sharp. How much object isolation will be possible with f/8? How much light / ISO is necessary?

Maybe cheap, but far from good. Use at least f/8 or your image won't be sharp. How much object isolation will be possible with f/8? How much light / ISO is necessary?

Wow. Didn know it was that bad. Guess e 55-250 is a much safer bet.

You probably want to check sample photos (eg. flickr) to get an idea of what type of subject isolation these lenses are giving you. Look for samples of head portraits, half body and full body and decide for yourself if the lens will meet your needs.

Personally, I would think a 85/1.8 gives very good subject isolation up to half body and would be smaller and less obtrusive. A longer lens makes it very easy for the subject to notice you are tracking them due to the restricted FOV.
Just some food for thought.

If you are looking for environmental ppl shots (anywhere from 10mm to 50mm or even 85mm sometimes), then either lens would do. A small prime or even the kit lens would do as well.

Hi, There is a shutter count to check in 60D at Menu, go to battery option. If shutter count is zero, then it is a brand new set. There is no need to bring laptop and software to check this, that is, if u don't want to buy a demo set.

Hi, There is a shutter count to check in 60D at Menu, go to battery option. If shutter count is zero, then it is a brand new set. There is no need to bring laptop and software to check this, that is, if u don't want to buy a demo set.
Are you sure this is the shutter count? I don't have a 60D .. but 'battery option' rather sounds like the charging cycles. And.. how is this related to TS question?

It's the shutter count since the time the battery was last put in. Remove the battery and the count goes to zero.

TS, if your main subject is street photog, you might want to look at the 85 f1.8 prime. Its an inexpensive option that gives good bokeh. Its unlikely you'll be shooting wide with street photog, unless you really wanna cover all your options or needs. There is also the 3rd party lenses from sigma and tamron you can consider. Dont restrict yourself to the kit lenses.

A heads up: the 18-135 has poor IQ according to many. :dunno:

Yes agree !

I was using the 18-135 for the past couple of months..

Image Quality was bad, bad and BAD !