lens for 50d

hi there,
been using the kit lens 18-55 for almost a yr. i bough the cam mainly to take photos of my dogs and also scenaries when gg to places of attractions like zoo etc and also overseas. i feel that the kit lens cant really capture the nice scenary; like i cant zoom to take details or take closer shots. can any kind soul suggest a suitable lens?

also, if i wan to capture my dogs running in the field? what settings is the best?

thank you very much!;)

Just get yourself a telephoto lens. Look at the priceguide or the marketplace for indicative prices, then read reviews and buy.

As for your dog, just increase the shutter speed. After 1 year, you should know how to use shutter speed to freeze motion... (btw, it's in your manual too, and in the newbies guide and basic photography tips all over the internet)

Consider a 70-200mm f/4 L, will be good for your outdoor tele shoots and require no future upgrade, it is one of the Canon's best lens.

Cheers!

hi there,
been using the kit lens 18-55 for almost a yr. i bough the cam mainly to take photos of my dogs and also scenaries when gg to places of attractions like zoo etc and also overseas. i feel that the kit lens cant really capture the nice scenary; like i cant zoom to take details or take closer shots. can any kind soul suggest a suitable lens?

also, if i wan to capture my dogs running in the field? what settings is the best?

thank you very much!;)

A telephoto fits ur needs on top of ur kit lens. If the budget permits, go for 70-200 f2.8 L (with IS or without), if not, there's always the f4 alternative...

For action shots, i suggest u switch to shutter priority, 3D tracking/Mulitple AF points and shoot in Burst mode.

HTH :)

really depends how much you want to spend.

can go for the 18-2xx or 28-300 or 50-250.

If you intend to keep the kit lens, the 50-250 IS for $3xx is recommended. If you have money to spend, can go for models with built in motor like HSM/USM which gives quicker/quieter focusing.

Last edited:
hi there,

thank you very much!;)

the kit lens can capture nice scenery. Make full use of your kit lens. :)

Welcome to CS :)
The 70-200mm is a good reach. But do a hunt before getting one ;)

i would get a "what settings to use for 50d" userguide and a 135mm

hi, thanks for all the replies.:thumbsup:

i intend to keep my kit 18-55. i reckon i dun need a super quality lens, but one that is versatile enough and can keep for long term usage.

am currently deciding between 70-200 and 18-200. or other lens ? whats your say?

Last edited:
hi, thanks for all the replies.:thumbsup:

i intend to keep my kit 18-55. i reckon i dun need a super quality lens, but one that is versatile enough and can keep for long term usage.

am currently deciding between 70-200 and 18-200. or other lens ? whats your say?
if you're keeping your lens, any reason why 18-200 is in your shortlist then?
The 18-55mm overlaps totally.

Unless you want to have 1 cheapo lens for "rough use", and another do-it-all lens.

if you're keeping your lens, any reason why 18-200 is in your shortlist then?
The 18-55mm overlaps totally.

Unless you want to have 1 cheapo lens for "rough use", and another do-it-all lens.

oh, perhaps i've overlooked that. am thinking that no point selling my 18-55. guess nobody would buy it anyway. so might as well make use of it. and to get another lens to be able to take more closer shots when i go overseas and places like zoo and also my dogs when i bring them out to beach or park. i love taking photos of animals and also places. i no need super good one; one that can fulfil my needs ;)

The kit lens itself is very useful under the right conditions. Works well for traveling, and if need the subject to be closer; can always use your legs to move forward where possible. The kit lens is also light and rugged, and can be used as paper weight too.;)

The kit lens itself is very useful under the right conditions. Works well for traveling, and if need the subject to be closer; can always use your legs to move forward where possible. The kit lens is also light and rugged, and can be used as paper weight too.;)

erm...smtimes cant use my legs to walk closer to the subject mah. so thinkin of getting one more lens n just switch between these 2. :p

oh, perhaps i've overlooked that. am thinking that no point selling my 18-55. guess nobody would buy it anyway. so might as well make use of it. and to get another lens to be able to take more closer shots when i go overseas and places like zoo and also my dogs when i bring them out to beach or park. i love taking photos of animals and also places. i no need super good one; one that can fulfil my needs ;)
I guess you should consider a lens that works as a pair with your 18-55 kit lens.

options (in ascending order of price)

1) 55-250
2) 70-300
3) 70-200 f/4
4) 70-200 f/2.8

also other brands like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.

hi there,

thank you very much!;)

If you can't zoom, then you need a tele lens.

But if you can't seem to take nice pictures of scenery, what you really need is photography lessons.

If you can't zoom, then you need a tele lens.

But if you can't seem to take nice pictures of scenery, what you really need is photography lessons.

hehehehehehe... never fail to make me laugh :D

thank you very much!;)

Your 50D doesn't have "dogs running" mode? My D80 has leh :)

I guess use the ai servo metering n burst to shoot the running dog. Read it from canon website