Lens fogging

fzarda

May 1, 2009
Bukit Timah
Guys, I need some expert tips. How do you keep your lens from fogging. It happened to me this week when visiting singapore. Every morning going out for photo shooting I had to wait about 15 minutes before I was able to use my cam because it was fogged up. I guess it was due to the aircon hotel room and then the humidity outdoors.
Frank

Just don't store your camera directly underneath the aircon.. or better: switch it off. You can't beat Physics, the humid air outside will cause condensation on cold camera body. So better keep it warm.

When moving from cold environment to hot, put the camera in a ziploc bag in the cold environment, then go outside. Condensation will happen on the ziploc bag. wait for the temperature of your camera to stabilize, then remove from ziploc bag.

When moving from warm environment to cold, you do not need to do anything.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys for reply. The ziploc bag sounds good.
BTW I dud not store the cam under aircon and I even kept it in cam bag and lens pouch.

Last edited:
BTW I dud not store the cam under aircon and I even kept it in cam bag and lens pouch.
That does not help much, the gear will get cold. Either store it in the warmest corner or you have to live with the waiting period. When uisng ziploc bags you also trap a portion of air inside, which actually works as thermal insulator. Personally, I never bother about condensation. I happens, i goes away after a few minutes. Patience is a virtue we need anyway as photographers :)

That does not help much, the gear will get cold. Either store it in the warmest corner or you have to live with the waiting period. When uisng ziploc bags you also trap a portion of air inside, which actually works as thermal insulator. Personally, I never bother about condensation. I happens, i goes away after a few minutes. Patience is a virtue we need anyway as photographers :)

Yup, that is why need to plan for a 10-15 min temp stabilization periond. If shooting time sensitive stuff like sunrises, be sure to give yourself extra time.