Lens/flash for engagement photography. NEED HELP

Jark89

Jan 31, 2007
rawrjark.deviantart.com
Hi everyone. Just wanna ask your recommendation about what range of lens and flash should i use for engagement photography? My friend needs a favour from me to take his engagement photos which held in his house. Im using Canon 500D btw.. Hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Just wanna ask your recommendation about what lens and flash should i use for engagement photography? My friend needs a favour from me to take his engagement photos which held in his house. Im using Canon 500D btw.. Hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks

I recommend Autofocus lens over manual focus ones.

I recommend TTL flash over manual flash.

Hope you have fun.

How do we know what lens to recommend when we know nuts about your style? Some people prefer zoom, some prefer primes. Some prefer wide angle shots, some prefer close up shots. If you don't know then just get a zoom lens that covers a large range of focal lengths.

Flash: Get those with ETTL function, and how powerful you want your flash to be? In fact I think general ETTL flashes can do the job, just get one that is within your budget.

Oh ya, some people in forum says: No budget no talk.

Are you the main photographer by the way?

like i say im only helping my fren.. thanks for your great info btw.. read it.. its engagement wedding in the house

like i say im only helping my fren.. thanks for your great info btw.. read it.. its engagement wedding in the house

I am assuming you mean akad nikah?

A general zoom works well. You probably already have the 18-55 or something like that.

Helping can be main photographer too. In that case you need a zoom lens that might cover more than 50mm. Why? Normally one would not want to stay too near the main photographer when he is doing his job so it's best for you to stand further away which means you need longer focal length(s).

What's your current lens(es) you are using?

Hi everyone. Just wanna ask your recommendation about what range of lens and flash should i use for engagement photography? My friend needs a favour from me to take his engagement photos which held in his house. Im using Canon 500D btw.. Hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks

What lenses do you have now?

It seems like TS has a 18-55 lens. Any other lens do you have?

First off, you must know where you are going to be position, where is the subject, and what type of subject you are going to shoot. A safe bet would be getting a 24-70mm f2.8L lens or a 24-105mm f4L lens and buy yourself a 580EXII flash or a Nissin Di866 or Yongnuo YN565EX lens with a few extra sets of batteries... and diffuser for your flash.

what range of lens?

16-35/2.8L
24-70/2.8L
70-200/2.8L
should cover most focal length most photographer needs....

Last edited:
I recommend Autofocus lens over manual focus ones.

I recommend TTL flash over manual flash.

Hope you have fun.

I prefer a bounce card over a diffuser.

Thanks everyone. Ive got 24-70/2.8L and 580EXII..

Good for you. But also get a sto-fen diffuser... best is also get a softbox (portable one) if there is no way to bounce your light, and you can try to DIY a larger bounce card if needed... note that direct flash is always very harsh on your subject/s.

Last edited:
Bro, any equipment that you currently have is enuf to cover the engagement. However you do need to find out from your friend how the event proper going to be like. The space of his house and the event timing is day or evening in order to determine whether you even need flash or not. By default, anything between 12mm to 50mm is ok for indoor shoot.