Lens flare?

Sep 4, 2008
Hi, I took this shot awhile ago, at around evening time.
The top right hand corner seems to have a bit of flare. I did not use any filter, it's just the lens itself. If it normal or is there something wrong with my lens?

It was taken with a 18-135 IS kit lens in shutter priority mode.
ISO 800
f/22
shutter speed 13s
18mm focal length

Thank you!

LexLim

Feb 25, 2009
Gombak
nothing's wrong, it's common. No lens is completely flare resistant.
Oh btw, something's wrong with your tripod as well? Or did you shoot this handheld?

Sep 4, 2008
nothing's wrong, it's common. No lens is completely flare resistant.
Oh btw, something's wrong with your tripod as well? Or did you shoot this handheld?
I shot this handheld. haha. Didn't have a tripod with me..
Oh okay, then will it get worse if I use a multicoated UV filter?

Last edited:

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.aboutlove.sg
I shot this handheld. haha. Didn't have a tripod with me..
Oh okay, then will it get worse if I use a multicoated UV filter?
u must have used a cheapo UV filter (let me guess, the $10 tokina UV filter).

try take out the filter and shoot again.

a multi coated UV filter will definitely be better then your existing filter.

Sep 4, 2008
u must have used a cheapo UV filter (let me guess, the $10 tokina UV filter).

try take out the filter and shoot again.

a multi coated UV filter will definitely be better then your existing filter.
nono, I didnt use a UV filter for this shot. It was shot with the bare lens. I was wondering if the flare would change if I were to use a multicoated filter?

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Why shoot at f22 then? You could have gone for f/8 and at least not had such a long shutter speed.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
13s handheld. I admire your bravery and perseverance. Use a tripod the next time.

yc2005

May 14, 2009
It was taken with a 18-135 IS kit lens in shutter priority mode.
ISO 800
f/22
shutter speed 13s
18mm focal length
Just curious why did you choose 13sec? Your settings are baffling..

Feb 6, 2006
Get your basic photography skill right first before questioning ur equipments.
It will save u a lots of money.. ;p

Edwin Francis

Mar 24, 2006
www.sgwriter.com
Questionable choice of settings aside, no, a multicoated filter isn't going to reduce the flare. Your bare lens is as good as it gets. Adding elements tends to increase flare - a good MC filter is better than a cheapo filter, but not better than a bare lens.
You shd be able to see the flaring in the viewfinder, so change angles a little and see if things get better. Or get a better lens.
But, as so many have already pointed out, the flare isn't the main problem with the photo ;)

Sep 4, 2008
Why shoot at f22 then? You could have gone for f/8 and at least not had such a long shutter speed.
Just curious why did you choose 13sec? Your settings are baffling..
I shot in Tv mode as I'm not too familiar with shooting in Manual mode. So the aperture was pretty much decided by the camera. I guess one factor could be the sky. Sun has not totally set yet..

13s handheld. I admire your bravery and perseverance. Use a tripod the next time.
Thanks. I would've used 1 if I had it at that time..
It was just a random shot while waiting for the green man. & not exactly handheld either, I used the traffic light as support. haha.

Get your basic photography skill right first before questioning ur equipments.
It will save u a lots of money.. ;p
haha! Im still a newbie in photography, Im just trying out with the different capabilities of the camera :p

Questionable choice of settings aside, no, a multicoated filter isn't going to reduce the flare. Your bare lens is as good as it gets. Adding elements tends to increase flare - a good MC filter is better than a cheapo filter, but not better than a bare lens.
You shd be able to see the flaring in the viewfinder, so change angles a little and see if things get better. Or get a better lens.
But, as so many have already pointed out, the flare isn't the main problem with the photo ;)
haha, all right. Point noted. Thanks for the comments! :)
I'm only starting out, so there are many things Im ignorant about. Sorry if it sort of irritated you. haha..

Top Bottom