Lens flare problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abun83

Nov 24, 2008
Hi all pro out there,

i am a noob here....please tell me how to fight against lens flare...i always have lens flare when i shot against the light / lamp directly even though my lens is mount with hoya multi coated filter which supposedly help in reducing the flare.

Is it the lens problem? or the filter?

My lens is 17-55mm IS f2.8....with Hoya DMC filter.

guides needed.....

thanks....

Hi all pro out there,

i am a noob here....please tell me how to fight against lens flare...i always have lens flare when i shot against the light / lamp directly even though my lens is mount with hoya multi coated filter which supposedly help in reducing the flare.

guides needed.....

thanks....

Easy solution, don't shoot directly into the light then. Compose your way out of the situation.

Have you tried shootng without the filter and compare?

Its where you aim. here is a particular favourite of mine. Aimed direct at the sun.

3144462024_e911efb997_o.jpg

Pretty good overall considering its a $8.90 filter. Sun was damn glaring so what the heck..good time as any to test filter.

Last edited:

I am worried that the lens will get attraction of dust....since i always tried to always mount the filter as the protector...or should i buy a polarizer filter instead? will it help?

Sometimes...even i dont shoot it direct to the light sources, ie. when i do long exposure...it appears to be flaring as well....is it possible the problem of my lens?

:embrass:

Its where you aim. here is a particular favourite of mine. Aimed direct at the sun.

3144462024_e911efb997_o.jpg

Pretty good overall considering its a $8.90 filter.

have you tried to shot at nite? where many lamps or lights will cause flare more than day time...

have you tried to shot at nite? where many lamps or lights will cause flare more than day time...

If it's at night, there should be no flare. Chances are, you have filter reflection.

Flare susceptibility is also determined by the design of the lens. You need to learn the capabilities and limitations of your equipment.

no problems so far...

b2f9753e.jpg

here is another direct shot at the sun but this time no flare. It was quite blinding when aiming at sun thru viewfinder but kinda disappointed at lack of flare.

from my observations, if taking shots where there is strong light and may not be safe to remove filter..rapid fire and better chance of a good picture with no or minimal flare.

Last edited:
Hi all pro out there,

guides needed.....

thanks....

You said it yourself. It reduces flare, not eliminate it. Flares, ghosting etc are all light phenomena that results from the use of optics, filter and lens included. Use of high-quality filters, not using filters at all and mounting on a lens hood can all help, although flare can still occur... It's the very nature of light... nothing wrong there.

no problems so far...

here is another direct shot at the sun but this time no flare. It was quite blinding when aiming at sun thru viewfinder but kinda disappointed at lack of flare.

from my observations, if taking shots where there is strong light and may not be safe to remove filter..rapid fire and better chance of a good picture with no or minimal flare.

this is the first time ever hear of such thing.

You said it yourself. It reduces flare, not eliminate it. Flares, ghosting etc are all light phenomena that results from the use of optics, filter and lens included. Use of high-quality filters, not using filters at all and mounting on a lens hood can all help, although flare can still occur... It's the very nature of light... nothing wrong there.

The lamp on the picture below describe what i meant by the flare...if i take a shot at different lamp even closer, the glow / flare the lamp would be even bigger :confused: ....
is it cause by the filter ? and i am using the hoya dmc filter + the lens hood when taking the pictures (not the below picture though)...
SingaporeNite

Any idea?

The lamp on the picture below describe what i meant by the flare...if i take a shot at different lamp even closer, the glow / flare the lamp would be even bigger :confused: ....
is it cause by the filter ? and i am using the hoya dmc filter + the lens hood when taking the pictures (not the below picture though)...
SingaporeNite

Any idea?

That's not flare. That's fogged/smudged filter or front lens element. Clean your glass.

That's not flare. That's fogged/smudged filter or front lens element. Clean your glass.

:confused: i am very sure the fron lens element is clean and clear..since the first day i bought it...the Hoya filter has never left the lens...or is it the filter that is smudged / fogged??? is it possible???

:confused: i am very sure the fron lens element is clean and clear..since the first day i bought it...the Hoya filter has never left the lens...or is it the filter that is smudged / fogged??? is it possible???

That can be. But in the example you gave, it's definitely not flare. The other elements of the picture are a bit smudged as well.

That can be. But in the example you gave, it's definitely not flare. The other elements of the picture are a bit smudged as well.

are you saying that i should get my lens service or clean up :S.....

if i use a CPL filter during nite time, will it help to reduce that problem? the glowing lamp or light sources??

how much is it a Hoya CPL filter do you know?

if i use a CPL filter during nite time, will it help to reduce that problem? the glowing lamp or light sources??

why would you want to use CPL filter at night? CPL filter will not eliminate hotspot, reflection on metallic surface. CPL filter is not a flare buster.

using filter is the major cause when you aim your lens at strong light source for causing flare, and lens design also part of the issue.

I'm saying you should clean your filter and lens. CPL at night??? That's no solution at all. Please try to read up on what a CPL does. There's a big difference between "glare" and "flare".

Err.. how long have you had the lens? It appears that you don't know about lens cleaning. Yes, your UV filter is there to protect your lens, but it too can get dirty, right. A smudged/dirty lens doesn't have a prayer in into-the-light/flare-prone situations. Learn to clean and maintain!

Also, to clear up your apparent misconception, your Hoya filter WILL NOT reduce the amount of flare compared to a bare lens. The more elements the light has to go through before reaching the sensor/film, the poorer the image quality. Flare is caused by light reflecting between the elements. All other things being equal (they never are of course), the more elements the greater the flare. Adding a filter is like adding an element -- one more source of internal reflections.
The coatings on the filter (HMC stands for Hoya Multi-Coating) lessen but do not completely eliminate reflections that are CAUSED by the addition of the filter itself.
Even if you've got a perfectly-clean bare lens, flare may not be totally eliminated - there are some situations that are impossible for any lens. Learn the limitations of your equipment and work around them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.