Lens first Body later question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnsoo

Apr 11, 2006
Hi,
I am in the midst of choosing between the 450d and the d60. But rather than looking at cameras body wise then choose the lens later. How about the other way around.

Aim is to take photos of my kids. Other things are secondary. Needs to be light and compact. Easy to pack around dslr. Dont want a compact cam as I already have one.

The idea I have is to pick a lens system first then choose the budget body (for starters) later. As I would tend to keep the lens and upgrade the body.

Here goes.
Canon 450d - to consider a 5D later
Thinking of L lens 24-105 for the canon system for general all round shots. Then maybe a 17-50 tamron for the wide angle. Or a 18-200 for walkaround, traveling shots. What do you guys think?
BTW any suggestions on the price and place to get an L lens?
I heard the kit lens sucks for the 450D but i dont know what it "sucks" in? Comments please?

Nikon 60D- to consider d700 later
But for the Nikon system, I have no idea if there are any lenses comparable to the canon L lenses. Any suggestions? (this is the pertinent question ) I am aware of the issue of the lack of a “drive shaft” for the d60 (dunno what else to call it). That I need AF-S lenses to use it on the d60. The reason I like the d 60 is the “feel” of the camera when it takes a shot, (bit of a macho snap feel... the d90 seems more refined) its small and kinda gets the job done reasonably.

Reason I dont have a semipro system in mind is budget constraints. So I thought of getting a good lens first and putting the spending on some kind of prioritisation. Anyway let me know if this kind of mentality is “wise” or reasonable logic.

I tend to be a bit rough on the cameras, (not deliberately though) any issues on build quality of either. I dont mind considering the D90 for the nikon cam, just a bit heavy.a

Did a trawl on the net for comparisons of L lens and any nikkor lens. Cant find any that gives me a heads up on the issue.

Cheers and a happy new year ahead.

Last edited:
start off with the 35 or 50 prime if u want to shoot your kid. can't go wrong there. either system offers the same focal length n f stop. but the nikon only has the 50mm that can af on the d60 and i think the price is pretty steep right now.

Hi,
I am in the midst of choosing between the 450d and the d60. But rather than looking at cameras body wise then choose the lens later. How about the other way around.

Aim is to take photos of my kids. Other things are secondary. Needs to be light and compact. Easy to pack around dslr. Dont want a compact cam as I already have one.

The idea I have is to pick a lens system first then choose the budget body (for starters) later. As I would tend to keep the lens and upgrade the body.

Here goes.
Canon 450d - to consider a 5D later
Thinking of L lens 24-105 for the canon system for general all round shots. Then maybe a 17-50 tamron for the wide angle. Or a 18-200 for walkaround, traveling shots. What do you guys think?
BTW any suggestions on the price and place to get an L lens?
I heard the kit lens sucks for the 450D but i dont know what it "sucks" in? Comments please?

Nikon 60D- to consider d700 later
But for the Nikon system, I have no idea if there are any lenses comparable to the canon L lenses. Any suggestions? (this is the pertinent question ) I am aware of the issue of the lack of a “drive shaft” for the d60 (dunno what else to call it). That I need AF-S lenses to use it on the d60. The reason I like the d 60 is the “feel” of the camera when it takes a shot, (bit of a macho snap feel... the d90 seems more refined) its small and kinda gets the job done reasonably.

Reason I dont have a semipro system in mind is budget constraints. So I thought of getting a good lens first and putting the spending on some kind of prioritisation. Anyway let me know if this kind of mentality is “wise” or reasonable logic.

I tend to be a bit rough on the cameras, (not deliberately though) any issues on build quality of either. I dont mind considering the D90 for the nikon cam, just a bit heavy.a

Did a trawl on the net for comparisons of L lens and any nikkor lens. Cant find any that gives me a heads up on the issue.

Cheers and a happy new year ahead.

Do remember that a 24-105 on a 1.6x body won't give u wide angle on the 24mm end.

start off with the 35 or 50 prime if u want to shoot your kid. can't go wrong there. either system offers the same focal length n f stop. but the nikon only has the 50mm that can af on the d60 and i think the price is pretty steep right now.

The new AF-S 50mm f/1.4G retails for $700+.

Actually, if you want to take mostly pics of your kids, the 24-105 on a 450D will be just nice since you'd probably go tight on the zoom.

Also, what is your budget like? 24-105 + 450D can also get you a 40D with Canon 17-55 IS USM.

Lens versatility for the entry level, I think Canon beats Nikon this time around since the D60 don't have a built in af motor while with the canon, not only can you use all the EF lenses, you can also use the EFS lenses on your crop.

Last edited:
What is the diff between EF vs EFS lens. And r there any near equiv lenses for nikkon at the L 24-105 range
As for the crop. the 24mm bit would prob be more like 35. yes i am aware of it. There is no perfect lens... that we all have to live with.

The EOS 40D wt 17-55 combo is tempting... as for a 700+ prime lens . That is a bit of a holy smokes kind of price... Thanks for the heads up on it.

Keep the discussion going. Its a bit of a meaty question.

Last edited:
actually if u looking at zooms, i think nikon got more decent consumer zooms than canon. the problem is will they be fast enough to shoot kids or not. unless your kids are gonna stay still, most of the time, they won't be.

All L lens are heavy. So, I recommend a prime lens if weight is an issue.

What is the diff between EF vs EFS lens. And r there any near equiv lenses for nikkon at the L 24-105 range

Canon EF lenses can be used on full frame and crop bodies. But the EFS can only be used on a crop body. In your case, your primary concern is the lens system .. and you seem to be going to upgrade to full frame soon then it might make sense to stay away from EFS (generally) .. of course it is up to you .. just remember that you cannot use the EF-S lenses on full frame body and put that into your consideration when you purchase them.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:Have u ever even tried, heard or felt those before?? My 17-40 f/4 L is light and if u recommend a prime lens if weight is an issue, then take the 100mm f/2.8 macro. It's heavier than my 17-40.

Need to be fast, light and good optics? Consider a prime lens. 50mm or 85mm

Canon EF lenses can be used on full frame and crop bodies. But the EFS can only be used on a crop body. In your case, your primary concern is the lens system .. and you seem to be going to upgrade to full frame soon then it might make sense to stay away from EFS (generally) .. of course it is up to you .. just remember that you cannot use the EF-S lenses on full frame body and put that into your consideration when you purchase them.

Thanks for the information, just one bit more. Is there a difference between a EF 18-200 lens and a EFS 18-200? In terms of performance, sharpness barrel distortion etc.
Also what is the problem when someone tries the put an EFS lens into a full frame body?

Last edited:
:bsmilie::bsmilie:Have u ever even tried, heard or felt those before?? My 17-40 f/4 L is light and if u recommend a prime lens if weight is an issue, then take the 100mm f/2.8 macro. It's heavier than my 17-40.

You are not comparing apple to apple.

You are not comparing apple to apple.

How about this, the weight issue is more objective than subjective. Quote a weight in grams for each lens and compare like with like. zoom vs zoom and prime vs prime of the same focal length.

Thanks for the information, just one bit more. Is there a difference between a EF 18-200 lens and a EFS 18-200? In terms of performance, sharpness barrel distortion etc.
Also what is the problem when someone tries the put an EFS lens into a full frame body?

Thou i'm not a Canon user, I don't think there's any FF 18-200 (aka your EF 18-200) around.

For other systems, mounting a cropped lens on a FF body will cause vignetting at the wide end. For Canon, EFS lenses aren't physically compatible to FF bodies and can't be mounted on any Canon FF body at all.

Thou i'm not a Canon user, I don't think there's any FF 18-200 (aka your EF 18-200) around.

Well there is no 18-200mm FF but there is a Canon 28 - 300mm f3.5-5.6L IS :devil:

41fpht1MSeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pic from amazon

Ryan

Well there is no 18-200mm FF but there is a Canon 28 - 300mm f3.5-5.6L IS :devil:

41fpht1MSeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pic from amazon

Ryan

hehe thx ya, learning new things every day ;p

Does the other 3rd party- Tam and Sigma. Have a similar designation for their lenses? As EF and EFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.