Lens filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict

Jan 18, 2010
Iv never used a filter before and am just wondering is it easy to fit in and remove?
I basically just want a filer to protect my lens - no need for any special effects filters

Could I get some reccomendations? Also, whats the % of those who use filters and those who dont? Thanks

filters are easy enough to attach and remove - they screw on to ur lens..
for protection, u'd probably want a UV lens.. u also need to get a filter based on the size of ur lenses diameter - i use a B+W clear protective filter for my 58mm lens (ef-s 18-55mm), for $80. but u can get a hoya or some other good brand for quite a bit less, im sure.. check out the price guide forum for more details on price :)

Iv never used a filter before and am just wondering is it easy to fit in and remove?
I basically just want a filer to protect my lens - no need for any special effects filters

Could I get some reccomendations? Also, whats the % of those who use filters and those who dont? Thanks

best is get those uv coated filter.. purpose is to block out some of the uv light to prevent flare as well as your lens coating

Do get a multi coated filter, else you're going to have a nightmare if you get smudges on it.

If you're going to use a cheap filter, then don't use any at all, why lower your image quality with cheap glass? Consider brands like B+W, Hoya, Kenko, Marumi instead.

Also, whats the % of those who use filters and those who dont? Thanks

Do you follow the crowd just according %? :)
There are two schools of thoughts with regards to 'protective filters', referring to usage of clear filters (no filter effect, just plain glass) and UV filters (actually not necessary with digital cameras). One is concerned with protecting the front element (see 'kiasu'), the other one says that a lens was designed to work best without any filter and being careful is common sense. Secondly, being a plane piece of glass all filters will cause flare and ghosting to a certain extend and under certain conditions. Google 'filter flare' for more reading pleasure.
As long as you use quality filters (as mentioned: Hoya, Tokina, B+W) and use the multi-coated versions you should be fine for most situations. But the moment you have strong lights in the frame or just outside (sunset, night shots) it's best to remove all filters.

filters are easy enough to attach and remove - they screw on to ur lens..
for protection, u'd probably want a UV lens.. u also need to get a filter based on the size of ur lenses diameter - i use a B+W clear protective filter for my 58mm lens (ef-s 18-55mm), for $80. but u can get a hoya or some other good brand for quite a bit less, im sure.. check out the price guide forum for more details on price :)

best is get those uv coated filter.. purpose is to block out some of the uv light to prevent flare as well as your lens coating

Do get a multi coated filter, else you're going to have a nightmare if you get smudges on it.

If you're going to use a cheap filter, then don't use any at all, why lower your image quality with cheap glass? Consider brands like B+W, Hoya, Kenko, Marumi instead.

Guys, as bro Octarine has pointed out, the facts are:

1. UV does not affect digital cameras, so a UV filter is useless. UV filter do not reduce glare or flare. UV filters were necessary in the old film days as UV can affect film. Getting a clear or protective filter is wiser for the digital age.

2. Multicoating do not make cleaning easier but makes it harder. In fact many filters are hard to clean because there is multicoating. A glass filter with no coating at all will be the easierst to clean. The actual purpose of multi-coating is to reduce flare and glare. The new generation of filters now spot an additional layer of coating that makes cleaning easier (i.e. B+W MRC, Hoya HD, Kenko Zeta).

3. Brands like Hoya Kenko Marumi have cheap and not-so-good filters too. So do your research and get a reasonably good one. IMO, I feel that getting top grade filters like B+W MRC, Hoya HD or Kenko Zeta for kit lenses feels like a waste of money. I personally go for Kenko Pro 1 Digital line of products for most of my lenses.

Totally agree. I support Kenko PRO1 too! MC or UV make no different.

Guys, as bro Octarine has pointed out, the facts are:

1. UV does not affect digital cameras, so a UV filter is useless. UV filter do not reduce glare or flare. UV filters were necessary in the old film days as UV can affect film. Getting a clear or protective filter is wiser for the digital age.

2. Multicoating do not make cleaning easier but makes it harder. In fact many filters are hard to clean because there is multicoating. A glass filter with no coating at all will be the easierst to clean. The actual purpose of multi-coating is to reduce flare and glare. The new generation of filters now spot an additional layer of coating that makes cleaning easier (i.e. B+W MRC, Hoya HD, Kenko Zeta).

3. Brands like Hoya Kenko Marumi have cheap and not-so-good filters too. So do your research and get a reasonably good one. IMO, I feel that getting top grade filters like B+W MRC, Hoya HD or Kenko Zeta for kit lenses feels like a waste of money. I personally go for Kenko Pro 1 Digital line of products for most of my lenses.

I dun think we have a poll about the percentage of user using filter and those that dont. But there are 2 camp of people. But im on the side that support adding a piece of glass. Some user only add lens on harsh environment and they prefer not to degrade the quality of their pro lens.

For me, add a glass infront just protect the lens from all kind of accident, I would replace a filter than to change the front element of the lens. Btw, the quality will not be as bad as some user may have stated. How many of us really print more than S8R.

The problem now caused because of our monitor. Manufactures have been producing bigger and bigger monitor like 27" and 30" and the quality of lens and sensor just couldnt catch up with it. But when we print, we are only talking about 4" x 6".

So just add a filter, prevent it from scratches and etc. Lens degrade only concern for people that collect lens and they make sure all their lens are sharp.

yes, it is easy to fit in and remove, if you do it properly, and do not use over-cheap brands.

for uv filters, if you are not using an ultra wide angle, normal ones will do. minimum quality hoya, remember to remove when shooting at night or at concentrated light source.

if you want to pay more, it is fine, you will generally be paying for what you get (though please check CS price guides section for a rough gauge before you go to avoid getting chopped).

% of those using filters and those who don't - don't see how it matters. this is a personal choice. i don't use any uv filters. nothing wrong with putting on all also. no right or wrong. therefore not important, don't see why you should care, to be honest.

IThe problem now caused because of our monitor. Manufactures have been producing bigger and bigger monitor like 27" and 30" and the quality of lens and sensor just couldnt catch up with it. But when we print, we are only talking about 4" x 6".

So just add a filter, prevent it from scratches and etc. Lens degrade only concern for people that collect lens and they make sure all their lens are sharp.

SOrry, i dont quite understand this bit.. are you saying that by adding a filter you will see an issue when printing large size pics? Because I want to be able to print large size pics.. Thanks

SOrry, i dont quite understand this bit.. are you saying that by adding a filter you will see an issue when printing large size pics? Because I want to be able to print large size pics.. Thanks

Read again. He never said that.

Filters for protection is a double edge sword.

Heard of cases where the lens glass scratched by the filter glass which shattered due to force or temperature..

Status
Not open for further replies.