Lens Filters

ErikaT

May 27, 2011
Hi all

Please kindly advise if all lens filters ( of any brands) are suitable for both Canon and Nikon? Or I must buy the specific filters that only design for CAnon or Nikon?

Regards

Hi all

Please kindly advise if all lens filters ( of any brands) are suitable for both Canon and Nikon? Or I must buy the specific filters that only design for CAnon or Nikon?

Regards
Short answer: YES, most generic filters are usable on any brand cameras. NO filters are especially design for Canon or Nikon only (not referring to their own house brand filter).

Long answer: Newbie Guide to Filters

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for your replies,

Because I Canon and Nikon have a different twist to mount their lens (clockwise and anticlockwise), so the filters will be different also.

Regards

Hi
Thanks for your replies,

Because I Canon and Nikon have a different twist to mount their lens (clockwise and anticlockwise), so the filters will be different also.

Regards
you are referring their focusing ring direction, there has noting to do with the direction of filter threads.

FYI, AFAIK, there are two methods of filter attachment, one is bayonet mount and the other is filter thread mount.
As far as filter thread is concern, although they have many different sizes, but all only have ONE direction.

Hi
Thanks for your replies,

Regards

Maybe you should specify what filters are you referring to?

Most people will think of lens filters like UV / protection / circular polarising filters that you screw into the front of the lens. In this case only the diameter of the filter thread is important as there are standard sizes eg 77mm, 58mm for most of the different brands of lenses.

Or are you referring to extension tubes / teleconvertors that attach to the back of the lens? Then the mounts will be specific...