Lens Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamberry

Feb 2, 2010
do u often use lens filter when taking photos ?

used to...
not anymore :)
I'm referring to plain 'ol UV filters of course.
I still use CPL when the need arises.

likewise, apart from providing some degree of protection, i understand that it degrades image quality, particularly if you use a cheaper (i.e. fewer coatings) one

im using the uv filter just to protect the lens . . always keeps it on lol . . will that gradually make IQ worse in time to come ? lol

My lenses aren't terribly expensive, so... buying expensive filters to protect them seems wasteful... and the cheaper filters do a poor job of reducing unwanted flare/ghosting during night shots.

always using a filter on my lens to protect it. :)

I attached all my lenses with a 1B, MC or UV filter. Hoya Kenko B+W do the work. This topic appear every now and then and always there are 2 camps of people. Some worry about degradation and some people like me worry more of our lenses =)

Until now i dont see picture degrade with filter unless you are using dirt cheap filter. Even a Hoya UV GUARD, It is not an issue. Today people use 30" monitor and zoom 100% to look into sharpness, but for me I use only a 24" and 90% of my print are only 4R/S8R.

First of all, which 'lens filter' are you referring to? There is a huge variety of photographic filters (Google that term to know more), not all are still necessary in digital era. Read up about the purpose and decide whether you need such a filter.
I use CPL, ND and GND when needed. UV is redundant to me, lens hood makes more sense.

Last edited:
I do. Need them because most of the time I'm in & around bushes. No, I'm no peeping tom :nono: Just shooting insects........................if you are wondering ;p

CPL / ND / GND as needed, otherwise nil.
i used to be kiasu and all my lenses needs a nice nikon nc filter, but now all the clear filters stay at home. Just be abit more careful

ryan

Yes. UV filters always on. Try the multi-coated filters from hoya/kenko or B+W. Not much flare problems. Good quality stuff.

I do as I'm shooting film.

A cheap price to pay for protection compare to the cost of buying a new lens if you are not careful. Anyway, that is my whole purpose of buying one.

I just purchase an adaptor from ebay and it comes with a UV filter by the brand of Fujiyama. Could jolly-well be a Jap-wannabe brand but MIC.

anyway, i was wondering. if i just want to have a filter WITHOUT any functions (is there such thing?) cos I just want to filter to stay there to protect the lens but not have any functions like polorising or ND etc... whats such filter called?

anyway, i was wondering. if i just want to have a filter WITHOUT any functions (is there such thing?) cos I just want to filter to stay there to protect the lens but not have any functions like polorising or ND etc... whats such filter called?
UV filter?

i see. so just get the b+w or hoya UV filter, the pic will look like as if there's no filter on right?

i see. so just get the b+w or hoya UV filter, the pic will look like as if there's no filter on right?

Please read a bit about the topic. Google for "Photographic filters".

There is NC filter or HOYA/Kenko call is Protector.

I always put on my CPL filter when I'm shooting under the sun.. Other then that, no filter will be attached.

I use a UV filter because I find it much easier to wipe off the dust from the filter than the lens. Perhaps the filter surface is smoother because it doesn't have any coatings and stuffs, And I'm worried wiping dust from the lens optics will damage the glass xD, better to damage the filter rather than the lens haha. For IQ, I'm just a casual photog so I don't really need extremely sharp photos anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.