Lens/filter cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RG550R

Apr 17, 2007
Sims Drive
hi guys can you suggest any good lens/filter cleaner....thanks

I use a lens pen and a microfiber cloth. However, before cleaning with these, it is better to have a air-blower to blow off any foreign particles such as sand so that the lens /filter will not be scratched.

Hand air blower and microfiber cloth. Also B+W filter.

Regards,
Arto.

thanks artosoft & darker for the reply...any recommended brands?

thanks artosoft & darker for the reply...any recommended brands?
I use gizotto air blower. That one that looks like rocket. Buy it at CP peninsula.

The microfiber cloth just use the $3.50 (IIRC). Buy at Challenger. Cheap cheap and if sign of dirty, just buy another one. Last time I wash it, but now I prefer to buy a new one. Less troublesome. Oh, and use the old one as microfiber for camera/non glass. Yes, I spare 2 microfiber, 1 strictly only for lens or filter glass, the other to clean camera body or lens barrel.

For filter, B+W MRC UV is my recommendation. It superb MRC coating really help easier to clean. Expensive, yes, but it worthy.

Regards,
Arto.

hi artosoft thanks a lot for the reply...later today im going to buy 1...

I use gizotto air blower. That one that looks like rocket. Buy it at CP peninsula.

The microfiber cloth just use the $3.50 (IIRC). Buy at Challenger. Cheap cheap and if sign of dirty, just buy another one. Last time I wash it, but now I prefer to buy a new one. Less troublesome. Oh, and use the old one as microfiber for camera/non glass. Yes, I spare 2 microfiber, 1 strictly only for lens or filter glass, the other to clean camera body or lens barrel.

For filter, B+W MRC UV is my recommendation. It superb MRC coating really help easier to clean. Expensive, yes, but it worthy.

Regards,
Arto.

The gizotto air blower is :thumbsup: . -has a lot of power. The B+W is much easier to clean. I've tried Hoya filter many years ago and cleaning more difficult.

Lenspen is the one~ Bought from TK Foto. Recommended by James. :)

can i just use the eyeglasses wiping cloth for filter/lens?

Once on a field trip, I had to use diluted isopropyl alcohol from a medical kit to clean my lenses and filters. Cheap and removes oily grime with no residue. Another time, I used diluted ordinary dishwashing liquid on some old Hoya filters - washed and rinsed, good as new! :thumbsup: My personal experience, so follow at your own risk...

Once on a field trip, I had to use diluted isopropyl alcohol from a medical kit to clean my lenses and filters. Cheap and removes oily grime with no residue. Another time, I used diluted ordinary dishwashing liquid on some old Hoya filters - washed and rinsed, good as new! :thumbsup: My personal experience, so follow at your own risk...
Be careful. Coating in lenses and filters are very thin (in micron or even nano thickness) and sensitive (easily removed by) to solution. Alcohol may (or may not) remove it. Once coating is removed, quality of optic will degrade. And, I never hear about re-coating service for lenses or filters.

Regards,
Arto.

Be careful. Coating in lenses and filters are very thin (in micron or even nano thickness) and sensitive (easily removed by) to solution. Alcohol may (or may not) remove it. Once coating is removed, quality of optic will degrade. And, I never hear about re-coating service for lenses or filters.

Regards,
Arto.

Lens coatings may be thin (deposited by chemical vapour deposition) but they are hardier than you think...

Lens coatings may be thin (deposited by chemical vapour deposition) but they are hardier than you think...
Yes. They are harder. But do you know if fungus eat that coating, no choice to remove the coating. And what they are using to remove coating? Alcohol 100% maybe?

Ok, alcohol from medical kit is mixed and not 100%. But I don't want to risk my coating.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.