lens expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

aHxi-o

Aug 31, 2006
Bedok Reservoir
hi all... i just got a 50d with kit I (18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS).

im looking at expanding my lens collection, in the long run and not anytime soon cos of the $$$, and i hope to get the following (in this order):

- prime lens (for general purposes, still life and portraiture)
- wide angle lens (for scenery and architecture)
- macro lens (for miniature insects and creepy crawlies)
- tele lens (for sports and wildlife)

as i'm still quite unsure what kind of photography i'll further in, im shooting more to see what kind i have a 'feel' for.... but i guess i'll be shooting quite a wide array of stuff.

any suggestions on the order of lens i should get...

also, since i'm looking for a prime lens next... should i get
- canon 50mm f1.4 usm
- canon 28mm f1.8 usm
- sigma 30mm f1.4 hsm ex dc hsm

i read the reviews and i'm thinking of getting the sigma 30mm, cos of the pretty bombastic feedback. is that a wise choice?

You intend to get the prime for general purposes, still life and portraiture

- For General Purposes, I think a zoom offers more flexibility. The 18-55 IS kit lens is pretty good. Why don't you shoot some pictures with it first, see which focal length you prefer to shoot at. This is more important than just getting a lens because of good reviews. If it's not your most used focal length, usage for the lens will likely be low, no matter how good the reviews

- Usually for a crop 1.6x camera like the 50D, most would get a 50mm for portraiture

- If you want to consider a more all purpose lens, can consider the 17-55 f2.8 IS as well. However, it would be a sort of replication of your kit lens. The f2.8 allows quite some nice portraiture as well.

thanks for your reply!

i'm attempting to fix my zoom at 30 or 50 mm when i shoot... to see how it'll be like on a prime.

oh... does sigma lens work well on a canon body? according to hearsay, sigma doesnt work as well on canon as it wld on nikon... 'cos of the lens motor or smth.

will it be too early for a prime as a 2nd lens? or i shud get smth else first?

and hahhas.... the 17-55 f2.8 costs like $1.5k, for an additional mm and a couple of stops down...!! still saving up for big, and possible, plans like this....

hi all... i just got a 50d with kit I (18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS).

- prime lens (for general purposes, still life and portraiture)
- wide angle lens (for scenery and architecture)
- macro lens (for miniature insects and creepy crawlies)
- tele lens (for sports and wildlife)

1. My suggestion is that you buy Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8 :thumbsup:. This is a prime lens that you can use as a macro, still life, and portrait lens. And it's cheaper than Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

2. Your kit lens is wide enough for scenery... and a practical walk around lens...

Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8!! One of my friends suggested the same marco lens!
on another note, does macro lens functions as well as prime (30, 50mm) for still life, and portraiture?

Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8!! One of my friends suggested the same marco lens!
on another note, does macro lens functions as well as prime (30, 50mm) for still life, and portraiture?

Well, Tamron 90mm macro f/2.8 is a prime lens! Good for almost anything, including close sport shoots :thumbsup:

As you see, all lenses which focal length is fixed are prime lens. Maybe what you mean is "Normal" lens? 30mm is considered normal lens for APS-C (DX) size sensor, and 50mm is the normal lens for a full frame sensor... they usually come with the max aperture of f/1.8 - f/1.2. However for those normal lens, best results are usually in the f/2.8 to f/4.0.

My two cents...

As you see, all lenses which focal length is fixed are prime lens. Maybe what you mean is "Normal" lens? 30mm is considered normal lens for APS-C (DX) size sensor, and 50mm is the normal lens for a full frame sensor... they usually come with the max aperture of f/1.8 - f/1.2. However for those normal lens, best results are usually in the f/2.8 to f/4.0.

yupyup... pardon me for the unclarity. was refering to normal-zoom prime lens.
and thanks a lot for your recommendation! :bsmilie:

There isn't any point in talking about expansion of lens collection, unless you've decided what kind of photography you're getting into.

If you have the money and have the space (i presume a big dry cab), you can buy all you like.

Since you mentioned, you're planning for the future, there might be new and better lenses in the future.
So I would recommend you to shoot more with the 18-55 first. After when you have decided and have the money, then go shop for the appropriate lens.

There isn't any point in talking about expansion of lens collection, unless you've decided what kind of photography you're getting into.

If you have the money and have the space (i presume a big dry cab), you can buy all you like.

Since you mentioned, you're planning for the future, there might be new and better lenses in the future.
So I would recommend you to shoot more with the 18-55 first. After when you have decided and have the money, then go shop for the appropriate lens.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I'm just doing some early homework so that I can fix my zoom lens at the zoom of the prime lens which i intend to get, in order to have a feel... and also to look at possible future lens. :bsmilie:

Thanks for your suggestion.
I'm just doing some early homework so that I can fix my zoom lens at the zoom of the prime lens which i intend to get, in order to have a feel... and also to look at possible future lens. :bsmilie:

Your best homework is done out in the field, shooting. You'll be surprised after awhile, how you know which lenses to go for after shooting for awhile. You'll just know, because you know what you shoot and what you need to shoot it.

Don't bother about what your 'future upgrade / expansion' will be. Once you shoot enough, you'll know what lens you'll need next.

Go buy an External Flash first.. not a lens.. then enjoy enjoy enjoy.. what you lack in the long run in lens based on your enjoyed shooting, then you'll know what to look for in a lens.

haha... the pros have spoken! and a consensus has been reached.
Thanks for all your advice... I will shoot more and move on from there!

you can also try renting out lenses too.....there's a services offered under commercial services...n you can check it out and peruse the various rental centres... trying them out to see which lens you might like.... for now your 18-55 IS is good enough.... like the rest said play around first before investing....

Status
Not open for further replies.