Lens discussion, Tamron vs Sigma vs Tokina

Status
Not open for further replies.

seethoe

Dec 2, 2002
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Dear friends,

which one is better Tamron, Sigma HSM APO EX or Tokina ATX-Pro lens, for 70-200 f/2.8 lens ????

Dun talk about nikon or canon 'cause i cannot afford it.

thanks.

Originally posted by seethoe
Dear friends,

which one is better Tamron, Sigma HSM APO EX or Tokina ATX-Pro lens, for 70-200 f/2.8 lens ????

Dun talk about nikon or canon 'cause i cannot afford it.

thanks.

never heard of Tamron having 70-200mm f/2.8. as to which is better or not, it's your own judgement and preference.

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO IF HSM costs around $1300. Tokina ATX-PRO AF 80-200mm f/2.8 also costs around the same.

Originally posted by ckiang
If you want the best build quality, no third party lens can touch the Tokina ATX Pro series. The Tokinas are built like a tank.

Regards
CK

really? that's what i'm planning to get (that is, if i have the $$$ :p :D )

how are they optical wise?

Originally posted by mervlam

really? that's what i'm planning to get (that is, if i have the $$$ :p :D )

how are they optical wise?

The only Tokina ATX Pro I've tried is the excellent 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II, which is discontinued. Optically very sharp from f/4 onwards.

Regards
CK

If you want the best build quality, no third party lens can touch the Tokina ATX Pro series. The Tokinas are built like a tank.

Regards
CK

i agree......i'm a Tokina fan......:D

build quality Tokina reigns supreme.

for the 70-200 f/2.8 the sigma is optically better, and with a better design. the hood actually needs to be screwed onto the filter thread.

other caveats include being flare-prone, slow AF, tripod collar obstructs VCs, and (for those not used to it) the Tokina AF-MF clutch

the tokina is actually slightly cheaper than the sigma though.

tokina's 28-70 AT-X pro 2 f2.8 is one of the best 3rd party lens i came across.....;)

agreed too...

... except for the flare!

Originally posted by roti
tokina's 28-70 AT-X pro 2 f2.8 is one of the best 3rd party lens i came across.....;)

Yeah! And it is actually sharper than my Nikkor 28-105 f/3.5-4.5D. Haven't experienced flare problems though I've heard the 28-80 version is rather flare-prone.

Regards
CK

Yeah! And it is actually sharper than my Nikkor 28-105 f/3.5-4.5D. Haven't experienced flare problems though I've heard the 28-80 version is rather flare-prone.

Regards
CK

as a matter of fact it is quite flare-prone. it is best with the sun entirely out of the composition, or strategically hidden

u can try with the hood on......might help a bit.....if not bring a small little black paper & masking tape along.........it may not look very professional....but it works any way.....:D

Tokina wins handsdown on the built but what about its optical quality??? is it as good as Sigma or better?? Comparing the Sigma HSM APO IF 70-200 f/2.8 and the Tokina ATX-Pro AF 80-200 f/2.8??? both cost the same...

Tokina wins handsdown on the built but what about its optical quality??? is it as good as Sigma or better?? Comparing the Sigma HSM APO IF 70-200 f/2.8 and the Tokina ATX-Pro AF 80-200 f/2.8??? both cost the same...

for the 80-200mm(Tokina) & Sigma 70-200mm lens.......Sigma wins optical by a bit but Tokina win in the build quality.....Tokina will cost u abt 1k while sigma will cost abt 1.4k.....;)

If the difference is just marginal, might as well get the tokina and save some bucks for some filters and stuff...;) thanks guys

If the difference is just marginal, might as well get the tokina and save some bucks for some filters and stuff...;) thanks guys

that's what i thought too... but i would like to try out the Tokina for the feel, focusing, etc.

its quite marginal.......not too big difference....

Ckiang: I second that. Tokina's 28-70 ATX Pro is one of the best alternative to the AFS or L and it's solid. A lot better QC than Sigma, imo

On the subject of optics, PHOTODO tests / MTF charts ( which I must admit I do not totally understand ) seem to give the SIGMA 70-200 significantly higher points than the TOKINA:confused:

I have been using the TOKINA 80-200 ATX Pro for quite long and find the sharpness at f2.8 not acceptable :rolleyes: At f4, it is sharp. But this sometimes limits my opportunities during poorly lighted catwalk shoots. I have no experience with the SIGMA, and have been wondering whether it is worth to sell my TOKINA and get the SIGMA. Can anyone advise on the SIGMA's performance / sharpness when wide open ?

My only experience with SIGMA is the 100mm f2.8 EX macro lens which I find optically SUPERB !!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.