Lens defect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bordeaux78

Mar 18, 2002
www.pbase.com
Hello,

I spotted inside my nikkor lens that there are 2 small black dots, very small but noticable, like dust particle. Is that normal or defect? Should I ask for replacement?

Thank you

Chris

Well, I bought it on the 16th. Wonder if CP want to replace it. Any experience?

Chris

You may give it a try. I've the same experience before with a Tokina lens .... not at CP but at MSColor. They are kind enough to exchange for me.

The earlier you bring it down, it's easier to get it change.

Yeah thanks, I am going to CP now. Hope they want to change ;)

those 2 dots are going to totally screw up your photography! The dust particles will show up as bigger black blobs on the prints

Shine a bright light through the lens while you're at it....you'll see lots of other defects like tiny bubbles and dust.

All my lenses are like that....duhhh

ed

Haha,

ed,

It is easier to say than done.

Most of my lenses have dust inside them now, the pictures they made are as just good as before.

But, would you buy a new lens with visible dust when you can choose a cleaner lens for the same price paid?

I would pick very carefully before deciding. But often times the ones with 'only' one or 2 specks are the best amongst the lot, L lenses, Leica and Zeiss glass included.

Bordeaux78 (good vintage)...u mentioned is it normal? Yes it is perfectly normal. What is not normal is fogging, fungus, cleaning marks and of course outright scratches.

Your 2 little dots are going to have friends (mostly harmless but some nasty) drop by and stay over the years.

Let us know if the shop allows for an exchange almost ten days after purchasing. That would be interesting.

ed

Hi,

I went to CP and the lady that was engaging me said that if the result taken by this lens shows those two dots, she/they would exchange the lens for me. She said again, it is difficult even for them to ask Nikon SG for a replacement in this type of case, unless really disturbing.

Well, I guess i have to shot this roll fast ;p

Chris

I'm very sure your prints will come out fine. I used to be paranoid over every single speck on my lens I went crazy. I dont really care anymore as long as the pics come out fine.

good luck. and....my initial comments were just jokes ok? no hard feelings.

ed

Ohh okay, I thought it was for realll....I was super scared that I caould not get it replaced. Anyway, I feel relieved now. Thanks guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.