Lens decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger74

Dec 21, 2009
Little India
Hi all,
I'm totally newbie.
I've been researching for some time and finally decided to buy Canon 500D body only.
But, now I'm confused which lenses are for me. The budget is max SGD500.

A friend points this Sigma lenses. The review is good. But, I'm wondering if there are more choices.
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO
product=232&sort=7&cat=myprod&page=1
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=321

Any help is appreciated :)

Tamron 17-50mm, 2nd hand should be within your budget

Why not consider the kit lens 18-55? Cheap and good

Same, would propose/ suggest Tamron 17-50 F2.8 Non VC.
Its the best third party alternative for that range type.

Cheers

Hi all,
Thank you. Finally I've got the Tamron AF17-50, F/2.8 XR IF :))))
At first we tried the Sigma lens, but as the forum reported, the image is rather soft and might need re-calibration, or might have a bad copy. I decided to take the hassle and chose Tamron instead which offers crisp sharp image on the spot.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thank you. Finally I've got the Tamron AF17-50, F/2.8 XR IF :))))
At first we tried the Sigma lens, but as the forum reported, the image is rather soft and might need re-calibration, or might have a bad copy. I decided to take the hassle and chose Tamron instead which offers crisp sharp image on the spot.

Tamron 17-50 is a good lens to start. Enjoy your new toy and take more photos :)

Are u aware of the hidden cost of DSLR ?
Frankly it never stop at the camera body or lens only

Google & find out more..

If I could turn back the clock when first started to get my first len it will definitely be the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3, despite hitting over the budget.

The len basically covers all the ranges I need and I could use it for a very long time before narrowing the most needed range. Then I will find that range by acquiring those as the prime len.

Just my 2 cents worth.

do remember to budget for flash, tripod, filter, bag, etc... haha... you will blow your budget when you get hooked into photography.... :)

IIRC, do bear in mind that for Tamron, if anything goes wrong, you probably have to wait months for it to be serviced in Japan, and if you buy used, without warranty, I doubt if the agent is going to pay for shipping and handling costs.

Nonetheless, the recommended Tamron lens seems to be an impressvie one.

Status
Not open for further replies.