Lens costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyyn

Deregistered
May 11, 2006
hi. I would like to know Nikon lenz or Canon lenz are cheaper for an amateur? I have a small budget below $300, what can I buy with a Nikon? btw, how much does a nikon prime lenz cost?

thanks!
kevyyn

there is no ans...

for prime lens both nikon and canon have lens that cost from $1xx to near 10k :bsmilie:
and yes, if $300 is ur budget, i suggest not getting a dSLR... might wan to get a prosumer cam like canon S3 or lumix fz7

SGD 300 is too low to purchase a DSLR. Even an old second hand SLR would cost close to your budjet. Get your self a point and shoot camera.:cry:

kevyyn said:
hi. I would like to know Nikon lenz or Canon lenz are cheaper for an amateur? I have a small budget below $300, what can I buy with a Nikon? btw, how much does a nikon prime lenz cost?

thanks!
kevyyn

$300 is way to low for DSLR budget.....at least 600+ for a second hand one

stk said:
$300 is only for lens? U already have the body right?? ;p
Or maybe he has not decide the camp yet :think: . Thinking which camp to have better value for money lenses.

It is not about lenses only :nono: . Overal system is more important!

Regards,
Arto.

If you are talking about lenses, the best value for money lens in Nikon is the 50mm f1.8 $170+

But as all the other bros have mentioned, look at the overall system and see how you like it before you continue.

If considering systems.. why only nikon and canon? why not considering olympus, pentax, minolta? ;p

kevyyn said:

thanks!
kevyyn

if u want real lens, it costs thousands and thousands

if u only want some lens to try out and use for fun, then spend extra time and search for used/aftermarket lenses

zac08 said:
If you are talking about lenses, the best value for money lens in Nikon is the 50mm f1.8 $170+ .

This one is light and sharp.....still got spare change for good filters :thumbsup:

I suspect the thread starter's deciding which camp to join based on who has the best price to performance ratio lenses.

Honestly they're both about the same.

Both have cheapo 18-55 kit lenses which are comparable. (~ $100 odd)

Go one step up, Nikon has the 18-70 which is good for the price. Canon has no direct competitor - have to go 3rd party. Some will probably name the 28-135 but I feel it doesn't go wide enough to be used as a comparison. The 17-85 is too ex. to be listed along side the 18-70. (~ $300-$700)

Go another step up, Canon has the 17-40. Nikon doesn't have a clear direct competitor. (~$1000)

Go one more rung up Nikon and Canon both have 17-55 2.8. Canon ups the ante with a 16-35 2.8. (~$2000)

Bottom line: they're about the same... but for my requirements, I find Canon slightly cheaper price wise... I'll probably have to pay more if I want a similiar Nikon offering.

Anyway below $300 will get u a 50mm prime and little else.

*Disclaimer* Comparisions are based on my opinions/views. You don't have to agree with me if you feel otherswise, and I don't feel like debating my points, so state your own views if you must but don't do a
solarii said:
blah blah
and rebut point for point. My views are not open to debate, so don't make reference to this post.

Put yr $300 on Brazil and make it $372 @1.24 odds. By the end of WC2006, you will have snowballed enough $$ to buy a Canon 1DsMK2 with an assortment of lenses and accessories. If lose, den it only $300. Worth a try. (However I'm in no way responsible for any loses)

$300 is too little to buy a DSLR. You need about S$2K to get a basic setup.

For individual lens cost can go to the Price list section.

kevyyn, let's clear up the unknowns... from your text, i understand that you are looking for a camera lens that is 300 and below? i have to say, yes, there are, which are good quality, but mainly manual focus old lenses. for primes, perhaps only the basic 28, 35 or 50 which AF can be used but probably second hand as well.

if i guess correctly, you are looking at film cameras? now those are quite affordable second hand, with a free lens accompanying it to boot. and yes, you can get those for about 300. i wouldnt say it would be less, perhaps slightly more.

*film would be cheap at first but the film/processing costs will later get you down...*

DeSwitch said:
Put yr $300 on Brazil and make it $372 @1.24 odds. By the end of WC2006, you will have snowballed enough $$ to buy a Canon 1DsMK2 with an assortment of lenses and accessories. If lose, den it only $300. Worth a try. (However I'm in no way responsible for any loses)

yo, that's a good one. I think he is only finding for a piece of lens, isn't it Kevyyn? but why did you all were like talking about DSLR's man? :dunno:

kevyyn said:

thanks!
kevyyn

The price range is rather similar. With the budget of $300, most probably you can get a 50mm f/1.8.

kevyyn said:

thanks!
kevyyn
Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AFD Micro. This prime lens is around $600-650 (with GST, depends on store) :thumbsup: .

Regards,
Arto.

giam_siap_lang said:
yo, that's a good one. I think he is only finding for a piece of lens, isn't it Kevyyn? but why did you all were like talking about DSLR's man? :dunno:

but he asking for if canon or nikon have cheaper lens, which mean he haven't got any body yet. if that the case $300 is sure not enuff for a dSLR body + even the cheapest lens. with that budget at most can only get a film SLR

DeSwitch said:

$300 is too little to buy a DSLR. You need about S$2K to get a basic setup.

For individual lens cost can go to the Price list section.

If you had followed this advise, your $300 would now be $372.;p

DeSwitch said:
If you had followed this advise, your $300 would now be $372.;p
Still not enough to buy new Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AFD Micro ;p .

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.