Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

naeshot

Sep 30, 2010
Hi bros out there,

I am getting a new walk about lens to replace my kit lens.
I have identified my requirement and decided on these 2 commonly used lens below:

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS
Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Lens

Can anyone advise me which is a better lens in terms of sharpness and faster AF
I was told the lens for Tamron is made in China, can anyone owner verify this?
Most importantly is the lens reliability, not too sure for lens from China thou.

Please advice, thank you!

Ooh ya, by the way I am using 500D.
not too sure if my camera will determine the correct lens selection.
Please advice, Thank you!

Ooh ya, by the way I am using 500D.
not too sure if my camera will determine the correct lens selection.
Please advice, Thank you!

Your camera will accommodate both lens... Sigma and Tamron.

From this point, I can only speak for the Tamron lens as I have owned this remarkable lens for about 18 months. I know from doing my initial research that both lens are very good but I settled on the Tamron because of its greater focal length.

I bought the lens while in Hong Kong. I don't know if it was made in China but for me that is not a concern because the quality is obvious. I've taken the lens to Tokyo, Toronto, Ottawa, Washington, New York, Switzerland, Frankfurt and many other places around the world and never once had a problem. I use this lens specifically as a travel lens because of its convenience (I don't have to take any other lens). When I'm home, I put it away and I use my Canon lens.

Here is are the pros and cons of the Tamron 18-270 lens from my perspective:
Pros:
1. Amazing (15x) zoom ratio
2. Good colours
3. Nice contrast
4. VC (Vibration control) is a good as any modern Canon lens (about 4 stops)
5. Sharp lens over-all but sharper in the middle focal lengths and particularly at f/8
6. When traveling, this is often the only lens I'll bring with me. Very convenient.

Cons:
1. The zoom ring tends to be a little sticky in the middle zoom range (I think at around 100mm) but not a serious issue
2. The VC will sometimes jerk when initiated. When I first saw this, I was concerned that it was a problem with my lens but I've been told that this (feature) is perfectly normal.
3. A bit of lens creep when the zoom is not locked (it can only be locked at 18mm).
4. The lens is sharp over-all, but if you are a pixel peeper, sharpness tends to degrade at the extreme ends of the zoom range. Canon lens are generally better but not significantly better.

There is a huge thread on this lens on the front page of ClubSnap along with several sample photos. You'll see a link to it on the left side.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks raydio for the detail comments.
Do you have any photos which you had proudly attributed from Tamron lens ?

Is there any Sigma user who can help to comment on the Sigma's edges?
Thank you.

It's just a hunch, but I doubt there are many Sigma 18-250mm users in this forum. You're probably better off reading reviews.

Thanks raydio for the detail comments.
Do you have any photos which you had proudly attributed from Tamron lens ?

Is there any Sigma user who can help to comment on the Sigma's edges?
Thank you.

Here's one I took in Hong Kong shortly after I bought the lens. I was testing it by taking a series of street trams in Wanchai. Nothing special, but it gives you an idea of sharpness, contrast and colour saturation.

IMG_3810.jpg

Alrite, thanks guys...
especially raydio for the sharing effort.
Think I am directed in a certain decision now.

It's just a hunch, but I doubt there are many Sigma 18-250mm users in this forum. You're probably better off reading reviews.

Hey am a Sigma User basically this is my primary lens on my canon really love the range it gives and I pretty much love the sharpnes (except for fast action shots of course) :thumbsup: Just a thread I started today which sunset was taken on the bum boat, not really THAT sharp as it was shaking like mad and I was lazy to set up my tripod and all on the bum boat but hope it does justice :D http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773055

Last edited:
Hey am a Sigma User basically this is my primary lens on my canon really love the range it gives and I pretty much love the sharpnes (except for fast action shots of course) :thumbsup: Just a thread I started today which sunset was taken on the bum boat, not really THAT sharp as it was shaking like mad and I was lazy to set up my tripod and all on the bum boat but hope it does justice :D http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773055

Hey Marcus, can you share with us how much you bought the sigma 18 - 250mm and whether you are happy with the IQ and sharpness and weight etc. Overall view of it as a walkabout general-do-it-all lens. :thumbsup:

Hey Marcus, can you share with us how much you bought the sigma 18 - 250mm and whether you are happy with the IQ and sharpness and weight etc. Overall view of it as a walkabout general-do-it-all lens. :thumbsup:

Hey I got mine while I was in thailand, around 600+ at pantip plaza, bargained like mad haha. Overall am very happy with the IQ and sharpness, it's my all-in-one lens which I carry around, and the primary lens on my body hope this helps

IQ ? herad this term, what does it mean in photgraphy language?

IQ ? herad this term, what does it mean in photgraphy language?

IQ stands for Image Quality and includes attributes like; sharpness, colour rendition, contrast and colour saturation. There are many other qualities that also contribute to IQ... white balance, brokeh (background blur), colour temperature, etc.

OMG ! The link is so cool.
The comparison data are simply awesome!

Thanks!:D

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

The above lens should come with HSM for Sigma 18mm-250mm & is around $960.

I bought Sigma after reading many reviews

like to suggest Canon 18-200mm if you are canon user. there is a fantastic thread by Anson on this lens. One key consideration is the canon is f5.6 at the tele end. It makes a big difference as this means u can use faster shutter speed at tele end. Generally shutter speed is 1/focal length. So at 200mm, u need at least 1/200 shutter speed. if u max out on aperture, u will then need to increase your ISO. It will be more challenging using a f6.3 lens in cloudy or bad lighting conditions. my 2 cents worth.

like to suggest Canon 18-200mm if you are canon user. there is a fantastic thread by Anson on this lens. One key consideration is the canon is f5.6 at the tele end. It makes a big difference as this means u can use faster shutter speed at tele end. Generally shutter speed is 1/focal length. So at 200mm, u need at least 1/200 shutter speed. if u max out on aperture, u will then need to increase your ISO. It will be more challenging using a f6.3 lens in cloudy or bad lighting conditions. my 2 cents worth.

It's true that you usually shoot at 1/focal or faster to prevent camera shake but this is for normal lenses without IS. For lenses with IS, VR, VC or other variations, they can actually shoot slower than that and still achieve sharpness, that's why you pay more for IS lenses anyway