Not open for further replies.
J

joeleow

Hi all,

Have the following lens:
- Sigma 28-200mm
- Sigma 105mm macro

I am currently using Canon EOS 500.

Q1. May I have some advice as to what is the best type of lens combination for an amateur like me? Say if i were to go on a photography field trip or even travelling overseas.

Q2. I have heard that the standard 50mm or even 80mm lens is very useful and sharp for portraiture. Should I get one even if I already have the 28-200 which covers that range?

cheers,

Comments about your current lenses

Sigma 28-200 - In general, superzooms (as such lenses are called) tend not to be very good. They are not very sharp, don't give good contrast, have lots of distortions, vignetting etc. But they are convenient to use and lightweight, and so is good for travelling.

Sigma 105 macro - very sharp and good lens. Ideal for portraiture use. Prime lenses (those which cannot zoom) are usually better than zoom lenses optically.

A 50mm prime lens is recommended as a very good but cheap lens to start off with for general shooting (about $130 new). The 50mm can also be used for portraits, but just be aware of distortion (nose bigger than ears).

Originally posted by reflecx
Comments about your current lenses

Sigma 28-200 - In general, superzooms (as such lenses are called) tend not to be very good. They are not very sharp, don't give good contrast, have lots of distortions, vignetting etc. But they are convenient to use and lightweight, and so is good for travelling.

Sigma 105 macro - very sharp and good lens. Ideal for portraiture use. Prime lenses (those which cannot zoom) are usually better than zoom lenses optically.

A 50mm prime lens is recommended as a very good but cheap lens to start off with for general shooting (about $130 new). The 50mm can also be used for portraits, but just be aware of distortion (nose bigger than ears).

yes, now i know this zoom lens is not that fantastic afterall...
but the results are pretty acceptable (at times) though...

is the 105 macro supposed to be "very sharp"? my results aren't fantastic... or maybe its coz i was using manual focusing and my eyes not looking sharp enuf? i wouldn't say its very good for portraiture coz i always hafta move quite a distance back to get things into my frame leh... or is there another trick to this?

got distortion? any samples to show? if not, what other lens to go for?

Originally posted by joeleow

is the 105 macro supposed to be "very sharp"? my results aren't fantastic... or maybe its coz i was using manual focusing and my eyes not looking sharp enuf? i wouldn't say its very good for portraiture coz i always hafta move quite a distance back to get things into my frame leh... or is there another trick to this?

Your EOS 500 should have a focussing indicator in the viewfinder to indicate subject is in focus.

Yes, with primes, you move around to get the composition you want. That's why some people said prime lenses makes you work harder for your images.

Originally posted by Kit

Your EOS 500 should have a focussing indicator in the viewfinder to indicate subject is in focus.

where is this indictor har? the green ball??
is this only valid for auto focus?

Originally posted by Kit

Yes, its the green dot. If I'm correct, it'll work for manual focus also. Not 100% sure though.

yes. it works for manual focus as well. it's a focusing aid

can't remember the exact price but remember it as kinda expensive... maybe around $700 or so... that was almost 2 years ago...

Originally posted by joeleow

If the results are acceptable to you, then you should continue using the lens. It's a tradeoff between quality and convenience. I think everyone has different expectations.

You have to move quite a distance back for the 105? Read that in the 90's, fashion photographers were all using 600mm and using walkie talkies to communicate with the models. :bsmilie:

As for distortion, you can actually see it in your viewfinder. Just put a straight edge near the side of your viewfinder, you will find that you won't see a straight line. Instead it will curve in or out depending on the zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.